Battery died while driving.

Sprayin Blue 3V

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't realize taking the battery cable off to see if the car would keep running, is considered fixing the car "hillbilly style". I guess unplugging the MAF sensor and starting the car is hillbilly to, so STFU

Well now you have learned two things today.

Fuerte

forum member
Reaction score
For the love of god do not ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever do this.

The battery acts as a buffer and stabilizes any voltage spikes that may cause damage to the vehicles electronics, most importantly being the PCM, which generally works off low voltage. I've seen more than one car fry a PCM this way. It didnt cause as many problems on older cars due to the lack of electronic components.

Exactly right!

Hooray.

I have seen people say this on 2-3 different threads about this being a way of checking it with me just faceplaming at the misinformation.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Alternator could have caused it. Leave the car running and then take off the negative Cable and see if it will stay running

Taking the negative cable off as a quick test of the alternator was common practice back in the days before computers and when “real motors” had pushrods. However, on today’s computer equipped cars I can certainly understand why this would be a bad idea!

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Y'all go ahead and keep taking the alt off and taking it in to get checked. I will keep removing the lead on the battery to see if the alt is bad. The only way to get "spikes" as you speak of is if you drove around with the battery disconnected. The only way to get a spike is to increase engine rpm (thereby increasing alt rpm and voltage output) or by turning loads on and off. If you just want to check to see if the alt is putting out on an idling car, you are not going to hurt anything.

Y'all keep doing it the hard way, I will do it the easy "hillbilly" way. K.I.S.S works best.

Sprayin Blue 3V

forum member
Reaction score
Y'all go ahead and keep taking the alt off and taking it in to get checked. I will keep removing the lead on the battery to see if the alt is bad. The only way to get "spikes" as you speak of is if you drove around with the battery disconnected. The only way to get a spike is to increase engine rpm (thereby increasing alt rpm and voltage output) or by turning loads on and off. If you just want to check to see if the alt is putting out on an idling car, you are not going to hurt anything.

Y'all keep doing it the hard way, I will do it the easy "hillbilly" way. K.I.S.S works best.

Thanks for proving my point. If thats how YOU want to do it in Texas, then have at it. But DONT tell other people the improper way to "fix" their car. Ignorance spreads like wildfire and must be contained.

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for proving my point. If thats how YOU want to do it in Texas, then have at it. But DONT tell other people the improper way to "fix" their car. Ignorance spreads like wildfire and must be contained.

Taking the battery cable off is not considered fixing the fucking car! It's a way to figure out the problem. Are you somebody that went to Uti or wyotech that thinks they know the way to do everything properly??

Sprayin Blue 3V

forum member
Reaction score
Taking the battery cable off is not considered fixing the fucking car! It's a way to figure out the problem. Are you somebody that went to Uti or wyotech that thinks they know the way to do everything properly??

Like I said before, its a hillbilly test at best. No, I never went to UTI or Wyotech, but maybe you should have. There is a proper way for everything for a reason. Just because you never have had a problem doesnt mean other people havent or wont. Keep your hillbilly "diagnosis" to yourself.

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Pardon me. We all didnt realize you were the end all be all of fuckin car repair. just because you say I am wrong, doesnt make me wrong.

It is you that might want to stop spreading misinformation and idiocy.

Move along, this forum may not be for you.

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
Like I said before, its a hillbilly test at best. No, I never went to UTI or Wyotech, but maybe you should have. There is a proper way for everything for a reason. Just because you never have had a problem doesnt mean other people havent or wont. Keep your hillbilly "diagnosis" to yourself.

You have your opinion on how to do something and I have mine. So unless you'd like to come to ky and try to keep me from giving my opinion on how to do it fuck off

Sprayin Blue 3V

forum member
Reaction score
Pardon me. We all didnt realize you were the end all be all of fuckin car repair. just because you say I am wrong, doesnt make me wrong.

It is you that might want to stop spreading misinformation and idiocy.

Move along, this forum may not be for you.

Im not spreading any misinformation or idiocy, I'm correcting it. The number one thing that people on this forum say when they are WRONG is "you dont have to post here." I will continue to post here, so that people dont destroy their cars from listening to IDIOTS. You are DEAD WRONG if you think that it is an acceptable practice. Do whatever the hell you want to your own car, no one will care when it breaks. But dont spread your idiotic methods to other people that otherwise wouldnt know any better.

Sprayin Blue 3V

forum member
Reaction score
You have your opinion on how to do something and I have mine. So unless you'd like to come to ky and try to keep me from giving my opinion on how to do it fuck off

This goes beyond opinion. It is a certified FACT that you are wrong. I'm helping someone from breaking their car due to your lack of knowledge.

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
This goes beyond opinion. It is a certified FACT that you are wrong. I'm helping someone from breaking their car due to your lack of knowledge.

One thing I do not give a shit about is FACTS that YOU have read or heard! I've done it numerous times on my cars, my truck and friends vehicles. Never once has anything gone wrong. We could sit here all day long and argue this fact vs that fact blah blah blah. You keep your knowledge and hand it out and I'll hand mine out when I want, rather you like it or not.

Sprayin Blue 3V

forum member
Reaction score
One thing I do not give a shit about is FACTS that YOU have read or heard! I've done it numerous times on my cars, my truck and friends vehicles. Never once has anything gone wrong. We could sit here all day long and argue this fact vs that fact blah blah blah. You keep your knowledge and hand it out and I'll hand mine out when I want, rather you like it or not.

Congrats, you've worked on your friends cars, that must make you an expert. Just because it hasnt happened, doesnt mean it wont. Its not what I read or heard, its called experience. You are ACTIVELY giving people misinformation because you are too arrogant to admit that you are wrong.

Fuerte

forum member
Reaction score

Well then I wouldn't advise you take ASE electrical system test since it is a standard.

amustangrocks

forum member
Reaction score
about any shop/motor manual will say never remove batt cables with the engine running. as that practice was used (i did it myself) on the old day cars, times have changed.

i just had to have my alternator rebuilt. the system check on the info center still said the charging system was ok, i think it goes by voltage so if the batt is charged it will say ok, but it was toast. i opted to have my motorcraft rebuilt with american parts, cost $145

Fuerte

forum member
Reaction score
about any shop/motor manual will say never remove batt cables with the engine running. as that practice was used (i did it myself) on the old day cars, times have changed.

i just had to have my alternator rebuilt. the system check on the info center still said the charging system was ok, i think it goes by voltage so if the batt is charged it will say ok, but it was toast. i opted to have my motorcraft rebuilt with american parts, cost $145

Where did you get the rebuild kit?

amustangrocks

forum member
Reaction score
Where did you get the rebuild kit?

i had a local guy here that does auto electric and all types of electric motors rebuild it.
i looked at pa`s, new oem`s, looked at all the china alternators at the auto parts, and they wanted $230 and my motorcraft for a core and i said no way and decided i wanted to just keep what i had. and it was the best price out of all of them and is working great again. i got 100k out of the original.

07calspecial

forum member
Reaction score
I got mine rebuilt for $90 after learning the hard way by jumping it when the battery was dead and thinking i would just drive it and charge the battery back up.(wrong answer) I burned out the diode for my troubles.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back