Battery died while driving.

MonsterKing25

Grabber Pony
Reaction score
So my instrument panel and radio shut off while driving. I pushed the radio back in and it says low battery. The battery is only a month old and when I had my water pump changed 2 weeks ago they tested the charging system and it all was fine. Any ideas?

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
Alternator could have caused it. Leave the car running and then take off the negative Cable and see if it will stay running

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Just measure the voltage at the battery with the car running and not running.

Sounds like alternator to me; pm macman, he has one he just took off his 4.0L.

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It''s the alternator, almost a certainty. Take it in and have it tested.

MonsterKing25

Grabber Pony
Reaction score
8c2bfecf.jpg

I want to vomit. It just completely died. On our way to the dealership.

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mine did that when the alternator went out .

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I happened to have the new PA Alternator in the garage when it happened to me. My wife brought it to me with some tools, swapped it out, jumped the battery and on my way I went.

erat

forum member
Reaction score
Altenator. Mine did the same thing when it went out. Did it at night. It shuts down the a/c, then the radio, then the LIGHTS! New PA Altenator and she's perfect.

Sprayin Blue 3V

forum member
Reaction score
just curious, but why not? ive even changed batteries in cars with them running previously, given they were always older cars though.

The battery acts as a buffer and stabilizes any voltage spikes that may cause damage to the vehicles electronics, most importantly being the PCM, which generally works off low voltage. I've seen more than one car fry a PCM this way. It didnt cause as many problems on older cars due to the lack of electronic components.

07calspecial

forum member
Reaction score
The battery acts as a buffer and stabilizes any voltage spikes that may cause damage to the vehicles electronics, most importantly being the PCM, which generally works off low voltage. I've seen more than one car fry a PCM this way. It didnt cause as many problems on older cars due to the lack of electronic components.
Exactly right!

pmcferron

forum member
Reaction score
hmmm interesting, i appreciate the info. i would have never known this had you not mentioned it.

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
For the love of god do not ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever do this.

Ive done it on plenty of vehicles and never had a problem. It only takes a few seconds to check it and see if the alternator is what's causing it. I'll stop doing it when I actually see it cause a problem

Sprayin Blue 3V

forum member
Reaction score
Ive done it on plenty of vehicles and never had a problem. It only takes a few seconds to check it and see if the alternator is what's causing it. I'll stop doing it when I actually see it cause a problem

If you want to spend a couple hundred dollars replacing a PCM because you wanted to fix a car like a hillbilly, then be my guest. But dont go around spreading misinformation, because not everyone will want to spend that dough.

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
If you want to spend a couple hundred dollars replacing a PCM because you wanted to fix a car like a hillbilly, then be my guest. But dont go around spreading misinformation, because not everyone will want to spend that dough.

I didn't realize taking the battery cable off to see if the car would keep running, is considered fixing the car "hillbilly style". I guess unplugging the MAF sensor and starting the car is hillbilly to, so STFU

Back