BBK ceramic shorty header install.

Discussion in '2011+ Ford Mustang V6 3.7L Tech' started by golkhl, Apr 30, 2014.

1. golkhl

golkhl forum member

Installed some BBK ceramic shorty headers today on our 2011 V6 vert. Took about four and a half hours, a little easier than a fox body header swap. Just make sure you have a 13mm ratcheting wrench, install cannot be done without one. I also installed new factory Ford gaskets and had some spare studs and nuts just in case, got them at a great price from [email protected] Mods now include a C&L cold air intake, BBK ceramic shorty headers, and Magnaflow street axlebacks. Last piece of the puzzle will be a programmer and custom tune, probably from American Muscle.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. bullitt boy

bullitt boy Senior Member

I put the ceramic on my 2014 GT , they look great and when I put the procharger on next month they will assist in its breathing.

3. golkhl

golkhl forum member

Since the header install, I have added the BBK throttle body, and a tune from Brenspeed. Even though it is an automatic with 2.73 gears, it has a lot of pep around town, and a ton of passing power on the highway.

4. jay@lrs

[email protected] Official Site Vendor

Looks great! Did you notice any sound difference with the shortys?

5. golkhl

golkhl forum member

The exhaust note actually toned down a bit.

6. BlackMustang690

BlackMustang690 BlackMustang690

I just removed my header and it can't be done with out that tool "13mm ratcheting wrench". well it could but it would take you extra hours.:asshat:

7. applebit

applebit Junior Member

Do me a favor and if you haven't done a tune take a stop watch and do 2 pulls:

one in top gear and one at "optimal gearing", each going 50-70 mph. Tell me the numbers. I have 2.73s and would like to know how well the car changes by doing the same exact setup!

8. golkhl

golkhl forum member

Applebit: we took the car out today and did a couple of runs to get you some data. We did 3 runs from 50-70 with me driving and the gf using the stopwatch on her phone. All three runs were with car in drive and advance trac on. 1st run 4.55 seconds; second run 5.40 seconds; and final try was 4.43 seconds. Car is a 2011 3.7 V6, convertible, automatic with 2.73 rear gear. Mods are: C&L cold air intake; BBK throttle body; BBK cermamic shorty headers; Magnaflow street axle backs; Brenspeed 91 octane street tune.

Victor Martinez likes this.
  9. wbt

wbt forum member

I put a set of these on my wife's car. The stock logs are pretty restrictive in comparison. I also did the O/R X with the shorties. She had Roush axle back's before the swap and had to go back to stock mufflers. It sounded like an F1 car going down the road.

I did a tune around the same time which made a nice improvement over the stock stuff. I did not do a before/after comparison just for the exhaust. The car will get sideways in second pretty easy now with the 3.55's. First is useless with both the stock 2.73's and now the 3.55's.

Manual trans FWIW.

10. applebit

applebit Junior Member

That's pretty darn quick! I bet mine would be in the 7 1/2 second range. You have given me inspiration to follow your lead.

Thank you for doing those pulls too!

11. Victor Martinez

Victor Martinez Junior Member

Did you use the stock header gasket or the bbk ones?

12. golkhl

golkhl forum member

I used a brand new set of oem manifold gaskets.