BBR Stage 1 or Comp Cams NSR Stage II

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
First off, I've spent the last 3 hours reading through threads about NSR cams using the search feature but still have not came up with a definative answer.
I really don't care about sound. I won't mind a little lope but I don't want a rough idle.
Please don't talk about springs, because thats not what I'm looking for.
rpm range: BBR 1500-6000, Comp Cams 750-6400
lift: BBR .480/.480, Comp cams .450/.450
duration @ .05'' lift: BBR .227/.233, Comp Cams .222/.235

Now onto my questions

Which cam is best for street car that will see the 1/4mile once or twice a month?
Which will give me the most power and torque with and only with my current mods tuned on a dyno?
Which will give me the best driveability?
And lastly, whats the average cost of labor? Thanks

usafimj

Reaction score
Labor is free since they are NSR cams. They are pretty easy to do

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not comfortable with doing the cams even though they are NSR. I'd rather pay someone who is %100 sure on what they are doing to work on them.

6secs197

Reaction score
cams

Cant speak for the comp nsr but, we put a set of BBR s stage ones in which are also nsr s and with a canned tune and no other changes dropped from a high 8.38 to a consistant 8.00 that is 1/8 mile but I give the BBR s a two thums up.

kbchevlvr

forum member
Reaction score
i cant speak directly about thier cams YET (BBR). but i can tell you that thier tunes are spot on. not only did i pick up almost 2 solid tenths, the car became predictable and consistant. if thier tunes/knowledge have been applied to thier cam technology, i think it is a NO BRAINER. with that said, i also run alot of chevy stuff as well. every cam i choose to put in any motor i put together is a comp cam grind.

i really think it is going to come down to how or who tunes it. my vote is BBR.

2L8IWON

forum member
Reaction score
How do they compare to the FRPP Hot Rod cams in terms of sound? I know that is not what the OP is looking for but I am curious how much sound one might compromise for the better performance of the BBR Stage 1s.

*JZ*

forum member
Reaction score
First off, I've spent the last 3 hours reading through threads about NSR cams using the search feature but still have not came up with a definative answer.
I really don't care about sound. I won't mind a little lope but I don't want a rough idle.
Please don't talk about springs, because thats not what I'm looking for.
rpm range: BBR 1500-6000, Comp Cams 750-6400
lift: BBR .480/.480, Comp cams .450/.450
duration @ .05'' lift: BBR .227/.233, Comp Cams .222/.235

Now onto my questions

Which cam is best for street car that will see the 1/4mile once or twice a month?
Which will give me the most power and torque with and only with my current mods tuned on a dyno?
Which will give me the best driveability?
And lastly, whats the average cost of labor? Thanks

Our stage 1 cams will add a solid 20-25 rwhp on a car with basic bolt ons.
We have gained almost 40 with these cams on a forced induction car.
These cams are obviously not as aggresive as our stage 2's, but they are noticable with their sound. But they are not going to effect driveability. I've personally driven a few local customers cars that our running our stage 1's and there is no low range lose and the stop and go driveability is second to none.
As for the install, we charge $450 to install cams and VCT lockouts. So, including tax and parts, you're right around $1200.

rivercitypony

forum member
Reaction score
The Comp NSR stage II cams will get 20-25 hp with basic bolt-ons as well. Brenspeed showed a dyno of these getting 20 hp with just a C&L Racer CAI and no other bolt-ons for that matter. They are more of a stealth cam--just a slight change in sound. However, they don't lock out the VCT. All these NSR cams, including the FRPP Hot rods, are relatively mild grinds. That's why they're NSR. I can't see locking out the VCT with these types of cams. Now if your going with a more aggressive grind, I can see this, or at least limiting the VCT. However you're going to have to change the springs and retainers also.

race4food

forum member
Reaction score
Our stage 1 cams will add a solid 20-25 rwhp on a car with basic bolt ons.
We have gained almost 40 with these cams on a forced induction car.
These cams are obviously not as aggresive as our stage 2's, but they are noticable with their sound. But they are not going to effect driveability. I've personally driven a few local customers cars that our running our stage 1's and there is no low range lose and the stop and go driveability is second to none.
As for the install, we charge $450 to install cams and VCT lockouts. So, including tax and parts, you're right around $1200.

John,
I really like everything about the comp stage 2s except for the loss of HP/TQ below 4000.
I really HATE!!! The hotrod cam sound and like a stock(ish) idle that the comp stage 2 provide.
If you can provide Dyno Graphs showing no loss of power below 4k then I would be inclined to drop a set on my credit card next week..

usafimj

Reaction score
The regrinds do not the billets. They only make billet cams now

Chrome61

forum member
Reaction score
Not to be an ass, but if you go to comp cams website and look at the hp graphs and you use lockouts you loose power at lower rpm's and gain only a few at high rpms, If this is a street car tell me how often you drive around at 6 grand?

Total waste of money.......This is only my opinion but I'm not in the business of selling cams.

Like John said, you can gain 20-25 hp....You can do that without cams.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
Not to be an ass, but if you go to comp cams website and look at the hp graphs and you use lockouts you loose power at lower rpm's and gain only a few at high rpms, If this is a street car tell me how often you drive around at 6 grand?

Total waste of money.......This is only my opinion but I'm not in the business of selling cams.

Like John said, you can gain 20-25 hp....You can do that without cams.

I did look at the graph, and I'm sure it showed more than "a few" hp gains at top end.
Whoever said I was going to use lockouts with the Comp Cams? You don't need to.
"These camshafts are fully compatible with the factory variable cam timing (VCT) system and are designed to operate in the stock rpm range." Comp Cams website
http://www.compcams.com/information/whatsnew/NewsDetails.asp?ListHistoryID=-1893839201

Do you understand the purpose of VCT and how it works? Let me explain, its quite simple...
As you should know our 3v's are only 281cid. That small of a motor will not produce a good amount of torque in low rpm's like bigger engine will. So VCT's purpose is to make the most amount of torque throughout the whole RPM range, also improve fuel economy, reduced emissions, etc. The cams are either advanced or retarded to do so by oil flow through the phasers.

And please, explain how I can gain more 20-25rwhp when I pretty much have all bolt-ons(usefull ones) besides EH20 pump...

Maybe you should do some research :omfg:

Last edited:

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
I dont want to hijack this thread, but how would the BBR Stage 1's work with an auto tranny? I have the stock TC, and have 3.73's. Should I expect similar gains as a manual throughout the RPM range? Would I need 4.10's at least? What will driveability be like with the auto?

In the future, if I decided to throw on a blower, would I want to (not necessarily need to) swap to a blower cam?

Than why post your question in here? :clap:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back