bc coil-overs for 2011+

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
I dont go autocrossing or track my car more than 1-2 times a year. But I have ridden in a friends s197 with BC coils and it was a horrible ride compared to my koni yellows on sportlines, which arent the best spring for tracking. My next step if i ever decide to go more competitive I will invest in some KW v3.

Its all in how you set it up. My 06 street stang rides like a caddy but if i want to carve then I just firm it up.

bullitt2086

forum member
Reaction score
I have the bc coilovers on my 13 gt and they are great. I had a 08 bullitt with sport line springs and tokico shocks and it was the harshes most terrible ride I have ever experienced. The bc coils are not harsh at all yes they are stiffer than stock but that should be expected, the majority of people who complain about coilovers usually did not set the pre load correctly, creating a shitty stiff ride that rattles your teeth...

I have hit a few pot holes and have yet to have anything break....

Last edited:

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
I just bought a set of BC, should be installing this weekend. Most of the reviews I read were positive, they have a optional swift spring that seems to make a huge difference. A lot of people don't seem to know how to set proper spring preload and that gives people problems when installing them. I currently have GC add-on coilover sleeves sitting on Koni yellow...so ill have a decent comparison.

fivehunsky

forum member
Reaction score
You are the only person who drives "competitively" that says BC coilovers are good.

They are not good. They are junk. If all you care about is looks and a herrafrush "stance," buy them. If you want something that won't break if it even sees a pothole and won't knock your kidneys loose every time you hit a bump, get something else. I second the Koni yellows.

Lol, I can appreciate that you don't like them. But, there are several teams running different levels of BC racing coilovers in time attack, drifting, and even rally that would beg to differ with your statement that they are crap.

And like others have stated here, it is all about how you set them up. I have ridden on motons that felt like someone welded the shock shafts on because the shop that set the car up put waaaaaay too much spring for the weight of the car. I have also driven on some cheap shock/spring combos that felt like magic. I am not an inexperienced "stance kid." I have been around the block. If you want something cheap coilover wise the bc's are a good option. You could spend 3 times as much for a bigger name brand or you could buy wheels, tires, swaybars, etc with the money you save. :)

fivehunsky

forum member
Reaction score
Quick search came up with
Currently in 4th place in formula d championship
Back to back xdc championships
Track record in Ttb at road Atlanta
Top ten championship finishes in touring car and time attack championships
I'm done looking. That was just one quick search. There are guys running these all over the world with success.

Do realize though that you should drive a coilover equipped car before you spend the money. Some people don't like the harshness that any stiffer spring rate/dampening suspension will add. Also, if you "slam
" your car it will ride like crap. Absolute crap. And handle like crap. So, if all you want to do is go really low than any coilover will do :)

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
I have the bc coilovers on my 13 gt and they are great. I had a 08 bullitt with sport line springs and tokico shocks and it was the harshes most terrible ride I have ever experienced. The bc coils are not harsh at all yes they are stiffer than stock but that should be expected, the majority of people who complain about coilovers usually did not set the pre load correctly, creating a shitty stiff ride that rattles your teeth...

I have hit a few pot holes and have yet to have anything break....

I would blame the Tokico shocks/struts long before I blamed the lowering springs for your shitty ride. I have D-Specs mated to stock springs for winter driving and before my GC coilovers they were mated to a set of Steeda Sports. At 440lbs/in front springs and 200 lbs/in rear springs I have a better, less harsh ride on the GC kit than I did at 200/175 with the Steeda Sports + D-Specs. The D-specs and IMO most Tokico dampers are just valved way wrong for these cars.

Also, the GC coilovers are not just sleeves for Koni Yellows, so it's not nearly as direct a comparison as you would think. I wouldn't run 440lbs/in springs on a set of off the shelf Koni Yellows. There isn't enough damping there to control them properly. I realize that may be what you are running on your car though, I just don't want anyone to think that the GC Coilovers are just a set of adjustable spring perches and 2.5" ID springs. The GC Coilovers are custom strut bodies with custom valved Koni inserts.

The BC coilovers used in those cars are NOT the BR coilovers that most folks here are buying, they are the ER and higher series. Hardly a comparison and for the price of the ER series you can get into a much better set of coilovers.

DRock

Reaction score
I have been running my BC coilovers for over 2 years and 30k. I still love these damn things. At first I had the preload on the front springs all messed up and it was rough and the front end felt off. After getting everything adjusted and settup correctly I wouldn't change them out. For the price they are on point. I am low yea but handling was still important and they achieve both well. My car is still and a good amount harsher than stock but that is to be expected.

Overall if I had to do it again I would and wouldn't think twice about it.

I love those that still believe there is only like 1 company that makes a coilover worth using

fivehunsky

forum member
Reaction score
And yes, the Xdc title was on br's for part of the season. I also run br's. I wouldn't run er's on the street.

fivehunsky

forum member
Reaction score
Also, the comparison to Megan stuff is just like comparing a v6 mustang to a gt500. Yes they are made by the same company but the BC stuff is better in every way.

fivehunsky

forum member
Reaction score
I will stop arguing the point because I can tell it will just go on forever. Yes, there are more expensive/higher quality coilovers on the market. I don't personally think that the op needs them for what he wants. The BC br coilover will do everything he needs very well for the price. He would probably be happy with a set of gc's as well but in my opinion the BCs have more adjustability and are a better value. We can argue opinions all day but we probably won't change each others :)

Good luck with whatever you end up buying.

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
I will stop arguing the point because I can tell it will just go on forever. Yes, there are more expensive/higher quality coilovers on the market. I don't personally think that the op needs them for what he wants. The BC br coilover will do everything he needs very well for the price. He would probably be happy with a set of gc's as well but in my opinion the BCs have more adjustability and are a better value. We can argue opinions all day but we probably won't change each others :)

Good luck with whatever you end up buying.

Adjustability doesn't matter if the valving is still wrong. Having Compression tied to Rebound also has some HUGE problems. I ran into that issue with the D-Specs. By the time I got enough rebound to make my car feel good in transitions I had too much compression damping and ended up with tires that would just skate across the surface with no grip. I would rather have rebound ONLY for performance driving rather than have rebound and compression tied together.

Not to mention Koni makes great shocks/struts...

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
Adjustability doesn't matter if the valving is still wrong. Having Compression tied to Rebound also has some HUGE problems. I ran into that issue with the D-Specs. By the time I got enough rebound to make my car feel good in transitions I had too much compression damping and ended up with tires that would just skate across the surface with no grip. I would rather have rebound ONLY for performance driving rather than have rebound and compression tied together.

Not to mention Koni makes great shocks/struts...

I will admit when I first got mine for the street car they were a little harsh. All I did was put different spring rates on them and BAM! World of difference! The valving is still stock and works great. Now the ones for the FR is totally different and I have yet to run on them. Different valving and spring rates all together. Overall I would recommend them to anyone as an entry level coil over. Would I like to order some ASTs from Vorshlag? Hell yes but I don't have the cash to spend. IMO the BCs coupled to a good suspension kit will work wonders. Look at the Australian V8 Super cars. Some of them are running White line Suspension with BC coils and their flying. Yes the coils are different but the same company built them and BC has great customer service! :rock:

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
I will admit when I first got mine for the street car they were a little harsh. All I did was put different spring rates on them and BAM! World of difference! The valving is still stock and works great. Now the ones for the FR is totally different and I have yet to run on them. Different valving and spring rates all together. Overall I would recommend them to anyone as an entry level coil over. Would I like to order some ASTs from Vorshlag? Hell yes but I don't have the cash to spend. IMO the BCs coupled to a good suspension kit will work wonders. Look at the Australian V8 Super cars. Some of them are running White line Suspension with BC coils and their flying. Yes the coils are different but the same company built them and BC has great customer service! :rock:

what spring rates did you go with for the street car?

my GC are 330 front and 200 rear, the BC are 392(7K) front and 280(5k) rear

GC i didnt like hitting different cracks in the road, it always felt like the ass-end was falling out of it. so im think the stiffer rear may help.

jayman33

Official Vendor
Reaction score
My GC's are 420/200. With the WL watts the rear is much more controllable.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
I will be selling my KW Variant 3's on here in a week or so. It'll be posted up in the classifieds, just an FYI.

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
what spring rates did you go with for the street car?

my GC are 330 front and 200 rear, the BC are 392(7K) front and 280(5k) rear

GC i didnt like hitting different cracks in the road, it always felt like the ass-end was falling out of it. so im think the stiffer rear may help.

375F, 225R. I will have to look on the FRs I cant remember what they were but I want to say around 400-430F and 250R I think but Jim custom valved them for me so It wont be a direct comparisom plus the FR has a Whiteline Watts under her.

Clipboard

forum member
Reaction score
I will be selling my KW Variant 3's on here in a week or so. It'll be posted up in the classifieds, just an FYI.

thanks, as of now though i ordered a set of konis from jayman with some used eibach springs, after talking to a few of my friends it was decided that i would never use the coil-overs as how they are suppose to so im paying for things i dont need essentially. my goal is to hit a 1.5 60ft which i think is manageable if i get some LCA's; other than that i want a good ride quality with an aggressive stance.

DRock

Reaction score
My BC's are 8k up front and 5k out back. I feel that the rear is a little too much but havent gotten unhappy enough with it to change it out. Front is golden and could even go with more.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Anyone have pictures of the rear springs? My GC had a 10" spring, these are only 7.5 and I've got them almost all the way raised up but the car is slammed in the rear.

This is the number on my rears 062-180-005

And I did the proper set up for the front springs which was pretty easy....but how exactly do you properly set the rears with it being separate springs and struts? Do you set the height with the spring first?

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back