Belt slippage...belt wrap question.

ulev1st

Mustang Addict!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Took my car to get tuned it has the GI Joe 8 rib kit with a 3.0 blower pulley on the whipple. Under load on the dyno I am getting some belt slip issue. It has the Thumper rrr tensioner on it and I thought I had bought the best of everything I could find. It definately starts slipping a little over 4500 rpm and you can see it fall off on the graph very plainly. My question is does anybody know of a custom designed idler that would give more belt wrap or any way to help with my belt slip issues. I even put a brand new Poly-Cog belt on this morning...that helped A LITTLE but not like I had hoped. Suggestions anyone? I will try to attach a photo showing how much belt wrap I have. This is with the original; belt..not the Poly-Cog.

Last edited:

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Took my car to get tuned it has the GI Joe 8 rib kit with a 3.0 blower pulley on the whipple. Under load on the dyno I am getting some belt slip issue. It has the Thumper rrr tensioner on it and I thought I had bought the best of everything I could find. It definately starts slipping a little over 4500 rpm and you can see it fall off on the graph very plainly. My question is does anybody know of a custom designed idler that would give more belt wrap or any way to help with my belt slip issues. I even put a brand new Poly-Cog belt on this morning...that helped A LITTLE but not like I had hoped. Suggestions anyone? I will try to attach a photo showing how much belt wrap I have. This is with the original; belt..not the Poly-Cog.

I can't image MORE belt wrap than what you have. Can you hook up a timing light/strobe to do some stop action viewing and see if it flapping?

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey Don,

How far off of the tensioner stop are you?
I believe you are using the supplied 76mm idler on the tensioner.
Do you have a 90mm that you can put in its place or can your adjustable idler be brought down further to increase the tension any more?
Kimmer and others running the whipple with the GI Joe kit don't seem to have any belt slip as far as I know.
Have you tried a Gatorback belt yet? When I was having trouble with grip that was the only one that held for me. I'm assuming by polycog that you are talking about a Dayco.

ulev1st

Mustang Addict!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The car is at the tuners. I will have to check tomorrow. I dropped off the new belt this morning and left them to it. Pretty sure the adjustable idler is to the bottom. I'll follow up and post more tomorrow. Thanks for the reply.

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am not sure of the biggest pulley that the Whipple comes with but maybe try an Innovators West Balancer a swap to a 7.5" lower and a 4" upper should give you the same boost you are currently running

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
On the picture supplied, the gap between the belt on the adjustable small pulley as it goes up to the blower, then back down---that gap is usually more then that when the belt is tightened more aggressively. When the belt is close like that, it usually means the belt is not tight enough. Unfortunately I can't tell for sure because the hose is right in the way, but it looks like the belt is almost touching as it comes back down from the blower pulley. Needs to be tighter.

Anyway, with the 8-rib you shouldn't have any slip at all--especially with a 3.0 top pulley. I have a 2.6 top with no issues.

Last edited:
Back