Bigger, Stronger, Faster - The Sequel

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I've had several people inquire as to what's up next for the BAD 05GT.

After almost 6 months of pain and agony, and literally hundreds of hours of effort on our part, we are finally starting to see some money from the insurance company trickle in to replace all the personal property items we lost. Although in the big picture, we're still going to end up being underinsured, we need to start injecting some fun back into our lives. And for Donna and me... fun starts at the drag strip!!

So, I'm not waiting until we rebuild the house to get the car back to the track again. I'm hoping we are racing this summer.

Here's the basic plan for "Bigger, Stronger, Faster - The Sequel":

1. We lost the "pit truck" (my old '96 Bronco) in the fire, so we need to get a truck for Donna. She wants an F250 Crew Cab Super Duty (we're now leaning towards an older model, with the 7.3L turbo diesel). I can't do anything with the Mustang until we get a truck. We need two vehicles here before I give up my car for while.

2. After we get the truck, I can take my car to Adam. I'm going to have him pull the motor and freshen it up. It has 25K miles and 600+ runs on it, so rings, bearings, valve job, etc. (and who knows what else) are probably a good idea. I will also talk to him about possibly going with a stroker (if I have the money to do it).

3. While the engine is out, I'm going to have Tony beef up the trans. Its the perfect time to get that new input shaft, and any other hard parts that will help keep it together.

4. I also need new swingouts made for the roll bar.

5. Once it goes back together, I'll get Adam to replace my stock fuel pump with twins, add 60# injectors, and put on the larger throttle body and intake. Oh, and I bought jsawyer's old 2.6L KB head unit, too. Then we'll up the boost to around 15-16 psi.

6. While all this is going on, I need to start replacing tools, equipment, wheels/tires, helmets, yada yada yada.

Of course, all of this is subject to change, depending on circumstances, as well as my right to change my mind. haha. But it's a starting point for us.

In a perfect world, I'd love to be ready to go by Memorial Day, but that may be overly optimistic. I'd be happy to get some new time slips before the 4th of July.

C-Liz-Go

Resident Realtor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
4th of July would be appropo......sounds like you've got a good plan, Don, and getting the fun back into your life is WAAY overdue after all the shit you've had to deal with.....

don_w

Reaction score
That is a quick build for the house.
LOL.... we'll be lucky if we break ground on the house by July. I don't expect it will be ready to move into until spring/summer 2009. I can't wait that long to go racing again, though.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Best of luck...at least you don't have to worry about winter in San Diego. :partyguy:

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Great to hear that you've got a new game plan for getting some fun times back into your lives!

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wow, that is going to be great when you and Donna return to the track. 4th of July is a good goal.

Ken3030

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good to hear Don and Donna. We miss those race videos!!

Rygen

I can break any motor!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Very impressive, can't wait to see it back up and running. What stall do you have on that car?

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm happy to see that you guys have the plan for the return to the track in place!

tom281

Warp Rider
Reaction score
Good luck Don, no one deserves it more than you and Donna.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Can't wait to have you guys back...:clap::rockband::piano:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Don - best of luck with the build up

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Here's the basic plan for "Bigger, Stronger, Faster - The Sequel":

1. We lost the "pit truck" (my old '96 Bronco) in the fire, so we need to get a truck for Donna. She wants an F250 Crew Cab Super Duty (we're now leaning towards an older model, with the 7.3L turbo diesel). I can't do anything with the Mustang until we get a truck. We need two vehicles here before I give up my car for while.
Good idea. The 7.3 engines are much less trouble prone than the newer engines. Good trucks.

don_w; said:
2. After we get the truck, I can take my car to Adam. I'm going to have him pull the motor and freshen it up. It has 25K miles and 600+ runs on it, so rings, bearings, valve job, etc. (and who knows what else) are probably a good idea. I will also talk to him about possibly going with a stroker (if I have the money to do it).
Stainless valves and new valve springs would be a good idea. Cheap insurance. And probably better insurance than Allstate. :shock:

don_w; said:
6. While all this is going on, I need to start replacing tools, equipment, wheels/tires, helmets, yada yada yada.
Something I've been looking at doing also since my place was hit last August. Take your time when picking out certain items. A big shop compressor is nice but you might also want to invest in a small compressor that you can drop into a truck bed toolbox is great. Same with a generator....I just picked up a small, VERY quiet Honda generator that can be used for powering the air compressor, fans, radio, etc. at the track and it is smaller than a typical hand-held ice chest. Figured that if these things were small enough but did the job I needed then I could drop them into a locking truckbox and won't have to worry about them growing legs and walking off. Same with tools and toolboxes. Get enough to cover what you might need to do at the track and get a box just big enough to carry them. Less shit to lug around, easier to load into the truck, easier to hide from prying eyes, and, with less weight in the tow truck, you'll use less fuel towing the car to and from the track. While it might not be much....every little bit helps.

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
Sweet Don, but if your going to rebuild it.. shouldn't you abuse it more? boost it to 25psi and take CK's money machine out :whistling:

don_w

Reaction score
Stainless valves and new valve springs would be a good idea.
I already have the Livernois Stage 3 heads, with the +1mm Manley valves and upgraded springs. So I should be good there.

Sweet Don, but if your going to rebuild it.. shouldn't you abuse it more? boost it to 25psi and take CK's money machine out :whistling:
Ummm... no.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back