Bigger, Stronger, Faster - The Sequel

W1ldcat

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I thought they looked perfect, but I'm not a ver good judge. Rear went down as the front came up and gone. 6.80 is moving...

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Take a look at the two vids Ed posted HERE. He got a front/side angle on both vids.

Much better! :beerchug2: Okay, after watching them in slow motion (especially the 2nd vid) - I don't think you have a problem with 'bounce back' at all. The car is keeping planted nicely. In fact, I think it more of an issue of your shocks, if I'm honest. The car doesn't seem to be squatting enough IMO.

It looks to me like the car is 'gingerly' coming out of the hole and not 'digging' out and I would think that is more so in the shocks than springs. It could be a whole effect from the coilovers with your power level though. First thing, just ditch the damn coilovers and work fro there IMO. even if you start on the stock springs, I think the coilovers are hurting you right now.

I was looking at other vids of your car (with less power) and it seemed to launch more 'violent'? then it does now, if that makes sense?

It's coming out too soft considering your power and how your are launching it IMO.

However, Adam did tell me though that he took power out down low to preserve your tranny. It is a STRONG possibility that has a lot to do with it? Perhaps he just has it way too soft down low...:idea:

Could also just be a matter of that 5r55 just doesn't bode well with that kind of torque out of the hole. You've got more than enough power now to warrant a 'real' trans.

Last edited:

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
First thing, just ditch the damn coilovers and work fro there IMO. even if you start on the stock springs, I think the coilovers are hurting you right now.
I have a set of stock springs, but no shocks. Maybe I should just buy another pair of the Strange shocks I had before. At least they are cheap... haha

I was looking at other vids of your car (with less power) and it seemed to launch more 'violent'? then it does now, if that makes sense?

It's coming out too soft considering your power and how your are launching it IMO.
Exactly, its not hitting hard off the line.

However, Adam did tell me though that he took power out down low to preserve your tranny. It is a STRONG possibility that has a lot to do with it? Perhaps he just has it way too soft down low...:idea:
He went back and forth with that at PSCA, and the tune I have now isn't the "detuned" version he ran on Saturday afternoon and Sunday. But, yea, it could still be too soft.

Could also just be a matter of that 5r55 just doesn't bode well with that kind of torque out of the hole. You've got more than enough power now to warrant a 'real' trans.
I know I need a "real" trans... but my funds are getting stretched in multiple directions these days. I need to replace the other car my son wrecked, as well as preserve my house rebuild budget. Somehow, the Mustang isn't at the top of the list right now.

Yes, I know... I need to rethink my priorities. lol

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well based on your answers to my comments, I think we can safely rule out it being too soft down low from Adam. He did his research at fontana and I doubt he would have left it 'too soft' after testing.

So here is the bottom line IMO...

We can safely say it is either the coil overs or the trans (or both) with your current set-up that is not liking things off the line.

My gut tells me it's the coil overs cause the way it was explained to me how the housing distributes the squat with a 3 link and how it is effected with greater power, etc. Rememeber that when Ken went up in power, he had similar issues that dumping the coil overs corrected. (and he was on the 5r55 as well) so that leans me towards the coil overs as well.

Certainly some shocks and springs are better than others, but I would suggest the cheapest route for now would be to put the stock springs back on, get yourself a pair of the strange like you said and give it a shot.

At the very least, as long as you get the 'violence' back, then you can later dial in the right spring rate and shock setting...:idea:

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Sadly, all seven vids were the same rear angle. Look at my avatar - that's the angle you need to see exactly what is happening when you launch...:idea:

I honestly can give no feedback at all from that angle. Try to get a front/side angle next time.

Guess we will have to disagree on that one, Mark. In my experience, you cannot watch the rear of the car along with the rear tire from a front angle. You need a 3/4 rear view to do that. The first set of videos shows the car clearly bouncing. The two that Ed took do show the car just driving away from the starting line. Again.....SHOCKS. Coil overs belong on ladder bar and four link cars, Don. Put the Ranchos on the car.

don_w

Reaction score
Guess we will have to disagree on that one, Mark. In my experience, you cannot watch the rear of the car along with the rear tire from a front angle. You need a 3/4 rear view to do that. The first set of videos shows the car clearly bouncing. The two that Ed took do show the car just driving away from the starting line. Again.....SHOCKS. Coil overs belong on ladder bar and four link cars, Don. Put the Ranchos on the car.
Coincidentally, the two runs Ed saw just so happened to be the best two 60-ft times of the day, too (both 1.50x).

Who sells the Ranchos?

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Hey I said front/side - not front...:hi:

I couldn't tell squat from those rear end videos, but I'm leanring this stuff as I go...:beerdrink:

I was right about the shocks though, wasn't I...lol:thumb:

Ken3030

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was talking to Adam tonight and he said he will call you with the part number you need. Also he told me the tune in the car now makes more power from start to finish then the 2.4 did. The boost level your at, this blower is barely touching the efficiency range.

don_w

Reaction score
Calvert Racing sells the shocks. I posted the link for you before.
Hell, that was a week ago. Do you expect me to remember that? LOL

Yes, we have a set of Ranchos to fit for 178.00 per pair. If you would like to order please call me at 1-800-607-2266 Thank you

Travis VanKirk
Calvert Racing Suspensions
4530 Runway Dr.
Lancaster Ca 93536
661-728-9600
661-728-9615 fax

don_w

Reaction score
FYI... I just called and ordered the shocks from Travis at Calvert. The part number he gave me was 99179. He said the 99179 fit an '08 Mustang, so it should be the same for my '05. They are 9-way adjustables, and were $178.00/pr. Free shipping in CA, but I had to pay tax, so it came to $191.80 total.

travelers

Reaction score
FYI... I just called and ordered the shocks from Travis at Calvert. The part number he gave me was 99179. He said the 99179 fit an '08 Mustang, so it should be the same for my '05. They are 9-way adjustables, and were $178.00/pr. Free shipping in CA, but I had to pay tax, so it came to $191.80 total.

Are you going with the Gt500 rear springs?

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't think so or he would have bought mine...:beerdrink:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back