Borla Axleback Repair?

Discussion in '2007+ Mustang GT500 Tech' started by Scott88, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Scott88

Scott88 Junior Member

The mount for the Borla axleback exhaust broke (see pic). Now its clanking around back there, moving with even the smallest bumps in the road. Is this a simple weld job, or should I look into extra reinforcement? Is this common enough where I should reinforce the other side too as long as I have it up? 20200320_192346.jpg

2. 86GT351

86GT351 forum member

Any Exhaust Shop should be able to secure for you.

3. MrAwesome987

MrAwesome987 forum member

Yeah that's a 15 min job at best.

4. oldVOR

oldVOR forum member

Just make sure they know how to weld stainless.

5. MrAwesome987

You can weld stainless with a normal mig welder and plain wire. That's likely what any exhaust shop will do.

6. 06 T-RED S/C GT

06 T-RED S/C GT forum member

Just an FYI, if your the original owner of the Borla axle-backs and also have your original sales invoice? Borla will replace them under warranty. Anyhow, just saying.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  7. Scott88

Scott88 Junior Member

Thanks for the collective knowledge. Seems simple and straight forward. Just wanted to confirm I wasn't missing something?

8. Iceman62

Iceman62 Bullitt 6005

Unless the other side's showing an issue, I'd just fix the broken mount. If you have an exhaust shop do the work, tell them to give both sides a once-over, for good measure.

9. oldVOR

oldVOR forum member

While you can weld it that way, it's no where near as effective as doing it the right way.
    Short cut repairs end up being short lived repairs.

KRS likes this.
  10. MrAwesome987

I would disagree with it being short lived. I've welded, and seen welded, many things like that with no issues.

11. Juice

Juice forum member

+1
    I have welded many exhausts, both SS and aluminized. Using plain shield core wire. The only downside is the weld gets a little rusty looking vs the SS pipe.

MrAwesome987 likes this.
  12. oldVOR

oldVOR forum member

You can disagree all you'd like, however, the fact remains that welding with dissimilar filler will not last as long as welding with similar filler.

Correct, it will rust and be more prone to cracking due to the dissimilar metals.

13. MrAwesome987

I would be shocked if any muffler shop would actually weld that with stainless wire vs standard wire. A good weld on that with plain wire will outlast that muffler and maybe the car.

MrBhp likes this.
  14. 06 T-RED S/C GT

Is the OP aware that Borla will replace the mufflers under warranty? Therefore why even bother taking his car to a muffler shop when he can get brand new replacements at no cost to him under warranty with the only exception of perhaps being required to pay for the shipping costs :shrug:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  15. Scott88

Scott88 Junior Member

I'm not the original owner, so the Warranty won't be honored.

16. 06 T-RED S/C GT

Had no way of knowing that until just now.

17. KRS

KRS Junior Member

In my opinion if you just butt weld the hanger back together it will most likely just break again. I’d find a piece of stainless rod about 6” long and about the same diameter as the existing hanger. Have the shop bend the rod into a hook shape to fit along side the exiting hanger, overlapping the break. Then weld them together.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  18. Coosawjack

Coosawjack forum member

^^^THIS!!^^^

19. Rick Simons

Rick Simons Member

I would be looking for the cause of the breakage; to me the repair is the easy part. did it break adjacent to a weld?

20. Scott88

Scott88 Junior Member

I was wondering the same thing. It looks like it broke just above where the weld stops and the "hanger" separates from the pipe. I don't remember hitting any bumps or anything that might cause the break other than just wear over time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.