Brake pads fail?

suleman09

Sully's Stang10
Reaction score
Hey im just wondering if this has happened to anyone in the early years of having there S197.

I was getting off the highway today, and heard a bad scratching sound. got out the car and the rear driver side brake pads came off of the caliper bracket and were rubbing against the rotors.

anyone have this happen to them?
any kind of Ford recall on this, i cant find any.

(pads are in one piece, spring on the pads are fine, caliper isnt siezed or anything, it pushes in fine)

and the thing i found is that the 2 bolts that hold the caliper to the braket. one came completely off and is missing...WTH! (and ive never done brake work with it before)

HenryinFlorida

Reaction score
Well, I would say that the caliper bolts weren't correctly tightened, and that's what caused your problem. Did you have any recent work on the rear?

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
More details before anyone can start guessing on what caused the failure. Mods to the car? Miles? Ownership history? Too many variables, and with caliper bolts backing out, I'd say it's definitely not a problem with the pads.

It's like asking if anyone's had failures with Goodyear tires when it was your lugnuts that came loose.

suleman09

Sully's Stang10
Reaction score
More details before anyone can start guessing on what caused the failure. Mods to the car? Miles? Ownership history? Too many variables, and with caliper bolts backing out, I'd say it's definitely not a problem with the pads.

It's like asking if anyone's had failures with Goodyear tires when it was your lugnuts that came loose.

well mods have nothing to do with brakes, just exhaust, cai and ignition work...it has 28k miles on it, and i bought it at 9k miles on it.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
well mods have nothing to do with brakes, just exhaust, cai and ignition work...it has 28k miles on it, and i bought it at 9k miles on it.

Mods may include a gear install or aftermarket rotors. Both of which have everthing to do with the rear brakes. That's what I was getting at.

Considering you're not the original owner, anything is possible. When you get the new pads on there, make sure the bolts are locktited and torqued properly and you shouldn't run into that problem again. Double check the other side as well.

suleman09

Sully's Stang10
Reaction score
Mods may include a gear install or aftermarket rotors. Both of which have everthing to do with the rear brakes. That's what I was getting at.

Considering you're not the original owner, anything is possible. When you get the new pads on there, make sure the bolts are locktited and torqued properly and you shouldn't run into that problem again. Double check the other side as well.

yea nothing like that...YET lol

yea i def locktited and replaced both sides just so i dont have to run into this problem anytime soon

/\/\@TT

Reaction score
Might want to watch out for the parking brake. I've seen that if you hank too hard, it twists the caliper and skews the pads. Then the pads wear out on an angle, and pretty soon, you have the metal backing on the pad digging in to the rotor. Not a fun sound at all.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back