Brake review

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Thought I'd share my experience on the stoptech brake pad set up. Installed Centric premium rotors, stoptech pads, all new fluid, and boss 302 brake lines on my 06 gt. I have to say I love these brakes! Cold bite is great and i have been driving them hard on some old back roads and no fade. I believe they are good to 1300 degrees. First brake they stuck pretty dang good and just got better and better as I was breaking them in! The boss lines are great too. Perfect fit and brakes are very touchy now and very instant. Could not be happier for the price! I believe I only paid total of $100 for the pads with shipping for all 4 corners. When I can get to a local autoX will let you know how they perform. But they stop hard, fast, and do not let up. Will be using again for sure.

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
Stoptech's site shows 3 different pads. Which ones did you get?

This matters.

Norm

The ones that are good to 1300 degrees are the "street performance" pads. That's likely what he's got (I believe the part number is 309.10010 for the front and 309.14650 for the rear).

Senna1

Reaction score
Interested in confirmation on the part # too; looking at new pads sometime in the next month or two. The 309 pads are the same ones ST has offered for a while, while the Street (308) pad is a newer, less aggressive/sporty/whatever pad.

In Subaru land, everyone loved the StopTech 309 pads for about 2 years back around 2011. Then came lots of reports of pad deposition and rotors/pads rusting together if they weren't routinely beaten on. Conclusion seemed to be that they weren't great DD pads unless you're a very 'spirited' driver. Many moved on to Carbotechs, but there's a pretty substantial price differential there.

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
I put them on my brother in law's 3-series BMW when I installed new rotors. I liked them more than most middle priced option pads out there.
The Hawk HPS 5.0's I believe are noticeably better and also completely silent(and I don't like HAWK brand historically).

hockeygod

forum member
Reaction score
I have the hawk brand on my car and I can't wait for them to wear out as the stopping power is the same if not worse than stock.

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
I have the hawk brand on my car and I can't wait for them to wear out as the stopping power is the same if not worse than stock.

The HPS 5.0 are probably the only pad they make that I would use

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Senna1

Reaction score
The HPS 5.0 pads are a non-starter for any track duty though (even light), correct? The original HPS were not well regarded on the WRX (at least not by most).

Frankly, on my DD, I've had no beef w/ the OE Brembo stuff, which I've read are Ferrodo (F) and Performance Friction (R) compounds. It's just nearly as expensive as several tempting aftermarket options like Carbotech (g-Loc) and Hawk.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score

Curious, but what series of Hawk pad are you using? What is your application? Pure street? mixed street/autocross? street/track? Pure race?

I use Hawk DTC-60 for racing (particularly endurance racing), and have been fairly satisfied with them. Carbos have (to me) a slightly smoother modulation, but don't last nearly as long, which is kinda important when your race lasts five or more hours...

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The HPS 5.0 pads are a non-starter for any track duty though (even light), correct? The original HPS were not well regarded on the WRX (at least not by most).

I've used them for light track duty.

The 5.0 is a significantly different compound than the original HPS.

hockeygod

forum member
Reaction score
They are the HP's series from about 2 years ago now. Before these I had the powerstop street warrior pads and rotor kit which was even worse. I kind of wish I had planned ahead more because now I want to go big brake kit and can't due to my 20" deep dish rims spokes being curved inwards.
These are the wheels and tires I went with and now I need more brake and more grip.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/blackbullitt-20in-0509-stag.html

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
Interested in confirmation on the part # too; looking at new pads sometime in the next month or two. The 309 pads are the same ones ST has offered for a while, while the Street (308) pad is a newer, less aggressive/sporty/whatever pad.

In Subaru land, everyone loved the StopTech 309 pads for about 2 years back around 2011. Then came lots of reports of pad deposition and rotors/pads rusting together if they weren't routinely beaten on. Conclusion seemed to be that they weren't great DD pads unless you're a very 'spirited' driver. Many moved on to Carbotechs, but there's a pretty substantial price differential there.

I've been using the Stoptech 309 pads on my daily drivers for nearly 10 years without the rotors/pads rusting together. But I live in an area with a relatively dry summer climate and only moderately damp winter climate. That might make a big difference.

I have noticed that the stoptech pads like to be used hard in order to avoid rotor deposits. That's okay. I've just learned to brake harder on the street (after ensuring that nobody is behind me, of course). :biggrin:

I don't think you have to drive hard on them all the time, just often enough to keep the deposits scrubbed off. Dunno what the minimum threshold is.

(Sent with Tapatalk, so apologies for the lackluster formatting)

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
They are the HP's series from about 2 years ago now. Before these I had the powerstop street warrior pads and rotor kit which was even worse. I kind of wish I had planned ahead more because now I want to go big brake kit and can't due to my 20" deep dish rims spokes being curved inwards.
These are the wheels and tires I went with and now I need more brake and more grip.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/blackbullitt-20in-0509-stag.html

Yeah, the HPS is really neither here nor there in terms of application. WAY too light-duty for the track except at pure novice level, and too squeeky for the street, IMO. I don't believe there is a good compromise pad on the planet, though, with a high enough MOT for track duty, but still able to bite when cold enough for street usage. Holy grail, Unicorn blood, fairy dust composition needed...

If your wheels are hitting the calipers by just a little bit, you could run some thin spacers (~8mm) to buy the clearance you need. Just a thought.

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, the HPS is really neither here nor there in terms of application. WAY too light-duty for the track except at pure novice level, and too squeeky for the street, IMO. I don't believe there is a good compromise pad on the planet, though, with a high enough MOT for track duty, but still able to bite when cold enough for street usage. Holy grail, Unicorn blood, fairy dust composition needed...

The Stoptech Street Performance pads are the closest thing I'm aware of. I have been able to make them fade, but not by a whole lot. The falloff in braking seems to be reasonably gradual when they do fade -- it's not like your braking goes off a cliff. It may be that some of that is the result of the fact that I have brake ducts.

It's still not ideal, since what you really want is no fade under any circumstances. But they work well enough that I haven't felt uncomfortable with braking on the track.

Oddly, my brakes fade less these days now that I have some experience. They didn't fade at all at my last event, at Sonoma.

I've got an event coming up in August at thunderhill. That'll be a great test of the brakes.

(Sent with Tapatalk, so apologies for the lackluster formatting)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Oddly, my brakes fade less these days now that I have some experience. They didn't fade at all at my last event, at Sonoma.
At least partly, you're braking smarter, harder, and less of the time. Maybe even fewer times/lap.

I couldn't find any temperature info for the 309 pads, but the 1300° number given for them earlier puts them about on the same level as Carbotech's XP8. Which have been daily drivable as far as cold bite is concerned down at least to 20°F (YMMV). Occasional hard use with these seems to be good for keeping most of the noise at bay more than anything.

Norm

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
The Street performance pads. Sorry I've been gone for a few weeks. They do dust a lot though but perform well. I purchased from rockauto.com.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Still working great for me. Pushed them hard in jacksonville, FL on vacation in some very hot weather as well lol. Cold bite is still very nice and even harder after some braking to warm them a bit.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score

If your wheels are hitting the calipers by just a little bit, you could run some thin spacers (~8mm) to buy the clearance you need. Just a thought.

I get zero squeak from my HPS pads since installed, nobody else here in town does either. The HP+ pads however, will squeak on the street, and dust like crazy.

Once the HPS pads are worn out, the plan is to replace em with the newer version HPS 5.0 I used SS brake lines, ATE fluid, and small 2.5" brake ducts. The brake ducts helped quite a bit, no more brake stink with aggressive braking.

Back