Brakes

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I really don't have anything left to do but LT's and a converter. I really don't want to dish the money out for that so I figure I'll do the brakes along with a line lock. I'm looking at this...

- Rotor Pros Drilled/Slotted Rotors (rotorpros.com) $299.99
- Hawk HPS Performance Brake Pads (ls1speed.com) $136.98
- Earl's Braided Brake Lines (ls1speed.com) $99.99
- PMP Line Lock Line Kit (pmpparts.com) $85.00
- Jegs Solenoids (jegs.com) $79.98

Are the brake lines really needed? What do they do performance wise to assist the braking? Also, are there any recommendations on where to purchase a good switch for the line locks as well as where to mount it? Anyone have any better prices or sites to look at to help save a few bucks? On the rotors, are they a good performance mod or are they more of a "look pretty" mod. IMO, the stock rotors are fine with me but will going with some drilled/slotted rotors truly be worth the 300 bucks? Everything thats in bold are for sure going on my ride. I just want to know if the rotors and lines are really worth it....

Thanks,

- Justin

Royb

forum member
Reaction score
IMO - i dont think aftermarket rotors is a good idea for a street car - so i'd stick with stock; every thing else is a good choice. the lines are supposed to reduce the flex of the pressure and therefore increase the piston pressure on the pad (clamping force) but I've never seen a real good way to measure it other than driving the car and testing it.

road &track did a test a few months back with all the super tuner cars and they all had the top of the line brakes, pads, rotors etc, and there was aonly a 12 feet distance in stopping so I figure for 3- 4k 12 feet not worth it for a street car. (if it was a track only car then big yes for the 12 feet) all the cars in R&T were VERY high horsepower cars so i guess you could get more than 12 feet with 500 hp cars - thats my story & i;m sticking 2 it :2cents:

Last edited:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
my R1concepts rotors are holding up great. combined with the ss brake lines and hawk hps pads, the car stops much quicker than before.

it stops on a dime and picks it up too :-D

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Since I'm not a corner carver, I took a different (and simpler) approach. I went with Power Slot slotted front rotors (but kept stock rear rotors), and used Hawk HPS pads all around. I did not change lines or fluid. I got the rotos from AJUSA.com, and the pads from Summit.

As far as line locks, I bought two solenoids from Summit and made my own, http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-760002&autofilter=1&N=115+-46908&autoview=sku. I couldn't find the correct fittings locally (all I got was blank stares from several auto parts stores around here), so I ended up getting a couple Summit installation kits, too. Everything I needed was in there: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-G3904&N=0&autoview=sku

I just used a simple Radio Shack safety switch for my line locks, http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062493

BTW, prior to installing the LL's, I had never bent or flared tubing before. So, they ain't purdy, but they have worked great ever since I put them in.

DSC06894.JPG

The switch farthest from the dash is the LL switch. The other one is for the radiator fan.

DSC06990.JPG

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies and help guys! Buckman, that was a very nice educational read. So I'm going with new pads, line locks, and some fluid. Yall know where I can get some Motul fluid at a decent price? Dot-1 or the more expensive stuff...

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What kind of brake fluid do yall use, whats recommended?

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Motul RBF600.... DOT4, with a ridiculously high boiling point, and ridiculously high price...

I'm thinking Motul RBF600 or the Dot 5.1. Know anywhere to pick it up at a good price?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back