Broke Idler Pulley - Twice!!

Reaction score
Okay, I just broke my second idler pulley, the one provided with the 8 rib kit. I figured the first time it happened that it was just an anomaly. Apparently that's not the case. Both pulleys broke in an identical fashion, and both belts shredded in half at the moment of pulley failure.

I've got the Whipple with 13 PSI pulley, 8 rib kit, and Kenne Bell tensioner.

1) What would you do to solve the problem?

2) Should I purchase an aftermarket pulley, something a little stronger?

3) Is this common on forced induction vehicles?

4) Is it normal for the belt to break at the same moment the pulley fails?

photo.jpg

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Okay, I just broke my second idler pulley, the one provided with the 8 rib kit. I figured the first time it happened that it was just an anomaly. Apparently that's not the case. Both pulleys broke in an identical fashion, and both belts shredded in half at the moment of pulley failure.

I've got the Whipple with 13 PSI pulley, 8 rib kit, and Kenne Bell tensioner.

1) What would you do to solve the problem?

2) Should I purchase an aftermarket pulley, something a little stronger?

3) Is this common on forced induction vehicles?

4) Is it normal for the belt to break at the same moment the pulley fails?

photo.jpg
Is that the pulley above the power steering pump?
I've never seen that happen before.

Ken3030

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have seen that. It happened to pfsracer's car while I was on a test drive in it. You should detune the car too much power. LOL No get a better pulley I think he put on a Metco pulley. i am sure he will chime in here any min.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i did that to 2 tensioner pulleys but never to that one. get a billet idler and your all set

Reaction score
The pulley that GI Joe includes with the 8 rib kit is only 75-76mm. It seems that only 90 & 100mm billett pullies are available. Would I still be able to run my current 8 rib belt if I went to a 90mm pulley...up from a 75mm?

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Most of us pushing bigger boost numbers have had to play the 'belt game'. It's just the way it is. Conentrate on setting up your pullies so your set-up will hold together and then match the right size belt to it.

Far more important to have those pullies stay intact than to worry about using a certain size belt.

GI Joe

Reaction score
I had never seen it either an assumed that it was a manufacturer fault and I sent him a free replacement pulley. Try to imagine what would cause that!. That idler has pressure being placed on it from the bottom side only. So when would the pressure be on it? Seems like only when you lift and the blower tries to slow down...because that is the idler on the drivers side...maybe you could try a 3.5" one. Its bigger and might spread the load better..as long as it dont hit over at the Whipple adjustable idler...If you want to try a 3.5" one let me know and I'll send it...how much power is the car making?

Reaction score
I had never seen it either an assumed that it was a manufacturer fault and I sent him a free replacement pulley. Try to imagine what would cause that!. That idler has pressure being placed on it from the bottom side only. So when would the pressure be on it? Seems like only when you lift and the blower tries to slow down...because that is the idler on the drivers side...maybe you could try a 3.5" one. Its bigger and might spread the load better..as long as it dont hit over at the Whipple adjustable idler...If you want to try a 3.5" one let me know and I'll send it...how much power is the car making?

Let me know via PM how much the pulley was. I'll be glad to reimburse you since we can all agree that a pulley failing twice is no anomaly.

Also, as others have suggested on this and other forums, I think I'm going to upgrade this pulley with a billett aluminum. If I go to a 90mm pulley, what size belt do you think I'll need?

Also, I don't have HP or torque numbers just yet. I just got my fuel problem of three months resolved on Friday. Ford sent me a replacement wiring harness for the dual fuel pumps. Up until then, my car was not running at peak power, that's for sure. I'll have some dyno numbers soon.

GI Joe

Reaction score
Let me know via PM how much the pulley was. I'll be glad to reimburse you since we can all agree that a pulley failing twice is no anomaly.

Also, as others have suggested on this and other forums, I think I'm going to upgrade this pulley with a billett aluminum. If I go to a 90mm pulley, what size belt do you think I'll need?

Also, I don't have HP or torque numbers just yet. I just got my fuel problem of three months resolved on Friday. Ford sent me a replacement wiring harness for the dual fuel pumps. Up until then, my car was not running at peak power, that's for sure. I'll have some dyno numbers soon.
You dont owe me anything...as always, I just try to help where I can. You can run a billet or other 90 mm and my guess is that there is enough adjustment in that Whipple slider pulley. Check with Jarred at Lethal for a nice cheap Idler
http://www.lethalperformance.com/pa...tco-03-04-cobra-billet-90mm-idler-pulley.html
or I can also get you one thats a bit more top shelf if desired.
Dave

Reaction score
Called Lethal Performance, but they weren't sure if the 03-04 Cobra pulley would work. I figured I'd get some more input.

Dave, what is the alternative you suggested?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back