Bugs

DCA08GT

Reaction score
Aside from Bug and Tar remover what else works well for getting bug guts off? I've tried a scrubbing sponge, and pressure washer to no avail. The bugs got caked on during a long road trip and I'm not having any luck. I searched already and might try the dryer sheet trick in a bit but, if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.

Last edited:

EGNARO

Orange Backwards
Reaction score
some old guy was telling me that he sprays wd40 on a rag or mixes it in with his car soap on his belair at a carshow today.... i dont plan on putting wd40 on my car anytime soon though.

pmcferron

forum member
Reaction score
some old guy was telling me that he sprays wd40 on a rag or mixes it in with his car soap on his belair at a carshow today.... i dont plan on putting wd40 on my car anytime soon though.

Wd40 is actaully safe, we used to use it all the time on painted appliances to remove sticker glue. I've also used it on my cars before to remove those ugly dealership stickers. I just always wash the excess off when done on my cars.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wd40 is actaully safe, we used to use it all the time on painted appliances to remove sticker glue. I've also used it on my cars before to remove those ugly dealership stickers. I just always wash the excess off when done on my cars.

Used wd-40 to remove sticky stuff from bikes and sled hoods all the time when I worked at a powersport dealer.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
WD40 will not harm your paint at all. Use it all the time to remove bugs, tar,etc. best tar remover I've used yet. For just bugs though turtle wax actually makes a really good bug remover. You can also spray your 1/4 panel down with WD40 before racing and makes getting the rubber off much easier.

Sent from iPhone

DCA08GT

Reaction score
I was able to get them off the bumper no problem with the bug and tar remover. But the leading edge of the hood is a different story, they are caked on there pretty good. I think I'll have to try wd-40 tomorrow.

EGNARO

Orange Backwards
Reaction score
ive used it for small things on paint before, but i dont plan on leaving it on my paint is what im saying.

DDTCM

Dan
Reaction score
I was gonna say WD40 also. We used to use it to take off the residue from dealer badges and I've even used it to get the gunk off from window tint.

etc1006

forum member
Reaction score
I've used a warm wet towel and let it lay on there for a little bit too. Softens the remnants up. Works great on the windshield if my Harley.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've used a warm wet towel and let it lay on there for a little bit too. Softens the remnants up. Works great on the windshield if my Harley.

Cleaning dry bugs off a bike windshield is a lesson you only have to learn once. :)

firestang70

SW Ohio Ninja
Reaction score
You can use dryer sheets. Soak the sheet and keep it wet to lubricate the surface. It will take the bugs off.

klaw

forum member
Reaction score
I use Ice detailer and a microfiber cloth. Spray it on and let it sit for a minute or two then wipe off. Repeat. Second time is usually all that's needed. Works best if the car is cool and not in direct sunlight. Keeping a good coat of wax on the front helps too. On a hot day or in direct sun, I work on smaller areas and use a heavier mist of detailer. You want to be wiping it off before the detailer evaporates completely.

DCA08GT

Reaction score
Well WD-40 worked for some of the bug remnits. Looks like I'll have to pick up a clay bar for the rest. They are just too caked on and with my luck are now part of the clear coat.

DDTCM

Dan
Reaction score
Well WD-40 worked for some of the bug remnits. Looks like I'll have to pick up a clay bar for the rest. They are just too caked on and with my luck are now part of the clear coat.

How long did you let them sit before cleaning?

DCA08GT

Reaction score
It was for about 3 or 4 days after a long weekend trip to Paris. Once we got there the car just sat till it was time to come home.

DDTCM

Dan
Reaction score
Yikes that enough time for them to get rock hard. I usually try my best to get them off that night when I get home otherwise I know I will be screwed.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back