Burning Rubber Smell?? 06 GT

Watain06GT

Perma n00b
Reaction score
I have a 06 GT with 15,000 miles on it. I got it out today and drove it for about an hour. After I parked it I noticed a burning rubber smell coming from the front of the car. I don't see any leaks, and there are no lights on on the dash. I removed the cam covers several years ago to paint them, but the paint has started to fail and fall off. I'm thinking it could be a small leak from the valve covers, however I didn't see anything on my garage floor, and it looked dry around the covers. I replaced the gaskets with new ones when I did remove them.

The car runs strong as it always has. Although its a pampered garage queen that I've had since High School. I do keep it serviced with Motorcraft synthetic, and I check the oil regularly. Would it be possible that a critter of some sort has taken up shop and built a nest in my engine and that might be causing my smell?

I'm trying to figure it out, and I hope its nothing serious. Does anyone have any ideas?

Aerofinz

Reaction score
Is there a chance it's fresh oil burning off? Have you changed/added oil recently? Or perhaps residual oil from the recent gasket change. It may have just needed extended drive time to heat up enough to burn off.

Watain06GT

Perma n00b
Reaction score
I don't know if its just a small leak that burned off when I drove it. It hasn't been driven in a while. But that's the first time I've noticed it. I let it idle and looked around the engine and didn't see or smell anything while it was idling. It was only after I shut it off.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
OK, is it burning rubber, or oil (smell is different)? If it's rubber, might be slipping belts from sitting for awhile. Any shine/cracks on them?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back