c&l intake manifold problem

toorbeenee

turbine lunatic
Reaction score
i have installed C&L intake manifold in my car over 2 months ago but i have never driven my car since it was very hot over here, i did some dyno tuning last week and i was very surprised with the numbers 475 hp on 9 psi. it should be in the 500's (mods on my profile).

turns out to be the c&l was leaking air from the bottom plat and about 4 screws came loose and got stuck between the flywheel and the engine which made it the whole engine cease up, i was going crazy becz this is a new engine in the car, then i felt something was wrong since i didn’t hear any noise in the engine, which made me take the transmission out to see that 2 bolts got stuck and almost screwed the whole flywheel. I put everything back, the car is running fine but I didn’t drive it yet.

I am attaching some pics (taken with my mobile phone).

I think I will send the pictures to C&L company and see what they will say about this issue.

Just wanted to give you guys heads up on this.

Attachments

• c&l problem.jpg
    c&l problem.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 109
  • c&l problem 2.jpg
    c&l problem 2.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 98
  • c&lproblem1.jpg
    c&lproblem1.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 95

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
A: You didn't check all the bolts BEFORE you installed the intake?

B: How did the loose bolts get into the bellhousing?

toorbeenee

turbine lunatic
Reaction score
A: You didn't check all the bolts BEFORE you installed the intake?

B: How did the loose bolts get into the bellhousing?

no i did not check i thought they were tight

b. there is a small opening between the bellhousing and the engine thats how they got in

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
For what these cost, you shouldn't have to check their work. That would be like buying a shortblock from a reputable company and going through and checking to make sure all the bolts are torqued. I'm not bashing C&L because I like their products.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
there is a small opening between the bellhousing and the engine thats how they got in

Where?

For what these cost, you shouldn't have to check their work. That would be like buying a shortblock from a reputable company and going through and checking to make sure all the bolts are torqued. I'm not bashing C&L because I like their products.
Shortblocks are assembled with torque specs. An intake manifold is not. Do you just bolt on a deep sump transmission pan without checking to see if the drain plug is tight?

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I thought I recall in the directions to check the bolts and torque them anyhow. If I find them at home tonight I'll quote the text...

06GTMustang89

Corner Carver
Reaction score
yes you do have to torque down the bolts yourself it only comes with 2 screwed down out of 15 i think...and to use blue loctite..

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Shortblocks are assembled with torque specs. An intake manifold is not. Do you just bolt on a deep sump transmission pan without checking to see if the drain plug is tight?

I don't get why the consumer would have to tighten bolts on an intake, what reasoning do they have for leaving the bolts loose? What's next, checking to make sure bolts are tight on alternators, starters, and anything else with bolts? I know you will argue this to death since you are sponsored by them and also sold them but that's my 2 cents.

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
Not saying they should leave bolts loose, but they may have some legit reason for doing so, I dont know.
But the fact that it says in the instructions (RTFM) that the bolts need to be tightened up and torqued to spec, well thats his fault for not doing so.

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't get why the consumer would have to tighten bolts on an intake, what reasoning do they have for leaving the bolts loose? What's next, checking to make sure bolts are tight on alternators, starters, and anything else with bolts? I know you will argue this to death since you are sponsored by them and also sold them but that's my 2 cents.

It's in the directions...

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not saying they should leave bolts loose, but they may have some legit reason for doing so, I dont know.
But the fact that it says in the instructions (RTFM) that the bolts need to be tightened up and torqued to spec, well thats his fault for not doing so.

It's in the directions...

I understand it's in the instructions but how many people do you think read the instructions for installing an intake that is a simple bolt on? I would like to know the reasoning behind them not tightening the bolts, does anyone have the reason why?

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
I take a peek at directions for EVERYTHING, bolt on or not. If a fucking sticker came with instructions, I would read them. Anything performance related if it comes with instructions I at least take a looksie to see if there are any important notes I should know about before an install because if any of us should have learned one thing working on ANY car, a bolt on usually is just never simply a "bolt it on" task.

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Simple bolt-on that requires tune changes, so one would think that reading the instructions would really be a given. If you want the rationale, you'll probably have to email Lee at C&L...

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score

untitled.jpg

US-1

Banned
Reaction score

Regardless of who sponsors me or what I sell......it's in the directions. Plus, I'm smart enough to know that if you can tighten a bolt then it has the probability to loosen. So I check them. Period.

I still want to know where this mysterious gap happens to be located so a bolt can "fall in between the flywheel and the crank" causing an engine to seize.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back