C-Quartz Problems

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Need some advise please. I got some of this stuff for my wife to put on here 14' Mustang. We didn't do the paint, she just wanted it for the plastic trim around the door windows, mirrors and wiper cowl cover. What's happening is that this coating is having some real nasty issues. The mirrors now look like a very-very severe case of flaking dry skin! Anyone know why? What can I use to get this stuff off so we can start from scratch?

Thanks for any help.

28ONE

Reaction score
Are you using CQuartz for paint or CarPro Dlux? Dlux is for plastic trim. I'd clean the area with Eraser and/or an APC again. If you are going to apply again, be sure to clean area with CarPro Eraser before application. I'd also suggest a PM to gothamite302 - CQ Finest Installer - or email/phone Corey at CarPro. I know SEMA starts Monday so Corey may still be in Florida. I'm sure they'll be able to help out. Sorry I couldn't help, never seen the flaking problem...

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Are you using CQuartz for paint or CarPro Dlux? Dlux is for plastic trim. I'd clean the area with Eraser and/or an APC again. If you are going to apply again, be sure to clean area with CarPro Eraser before application. I'd also suggest a PM to gothamite302 - CQ Finest Installer - or email/phone Corey at CarPro. I know SEMA starts Monday so Corey may still be in Florida. I'm sure they'll be able to help out. Sorry I couldn't help, never seen the flaking problem...

I used the regular CQuartz. Here is a link.

http://www.autogeek.net/cquartz-paint-sealant.html

It specifically says: "CQuartz can be applied to virtually any surface: glass, wheels, plastics, leather, and rubber."

Thanks for the advice. I'll see what I can find out.

28ONE

Reaction score
I used the regular CQuartz. Here is a link.

http://www.autogeek.net/cquartz-paint-sealant.html

It specifically says: "CQuartz can be applied to virtually any surface: glass, wheels, plastics, leather, and rubber."

Thanks for the advice. I'll see what I can find out.

Even though it says otherwise, I've only used it on paint and on my chrome. Dlux is the one recommended for trim...hope you get it fixed - chally looks killer by the way!

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Even though it says otherwise, I've only used it on paint and on my chrome. Dlux is the one recommended for trim...hope you get it fixed - chally looks killer by the way!

Thank you!

mrperple

forum member
Reaction score
Try asking your question over here http://carproforum.com Alot of certified installers hang out there and will help you out. Being that it is almost SEMA time Corey might be hard to get a hold of. Best of luck.

I actually tried using UK on my sideview mirror trim just to test out and it works great. If I have any leftover after doing my car and the sister in-laws I plan on treating all plastic w/ it.

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
I took a couple pics last night. Wife got home late in the dark so this was the best I could get. Again, this a 14' Mustang.

28ONE

Reaction score
Is it similar to the blue piece in pic? That's a suede 4x4" mf towel. In the Dlux kit, they give you those cotton pads, similar to ones women use for make-up. I've found these work best for me when applying to smooth/textured trim. Its really hard to tell from the pick but my guess is the product was not applied evenly. Maybe you can hit it with Eraser again then try applying another light coat. The only issue I see though is it's cured and the additional coat may not wanna bond...

Attachments

• DLUX__78021.1405464035.780.780.jpg
    DLUX__78021.1405464035.780.780.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 9

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Is it similar to the blue piece in pic? That's a suede 4x4" mf towel. In the Dlux kit, they give you those cotton pads, similar to ones women use for make-up. I've found these work best for me when applying to smooth/textured trim. Its really hard to tell from the pick but my guess is the product was not applied evenly. Maybe you can hit it with Eraser again then try applying another light coat. The only issue I see though is it's cured and the additional coat may not wanna bond...

Yes it is similar. I think the color was a beige though. I don't have "Eraser". Is there anything else that will remove it? I have some 3M adhesive remover.

28ONE

Reaction score
Yes it is similar. I think the color was a beige though. I don't have "Eraser". Is there anything else that will remove it? I have some 3M adhesive remover.

That I don't know, gonna have to talk to the guys I mentioned or check out Carproforum.com...

ModdedMach

Detailer of shiny things.
Reaction score
Cquartz can absolutely be used on trim. As can Opticoat 2.0, Opticoat Pro, Gtechniq C1 ect.

Using a "trim specific" product would probably very well makes things a little easier, but i think i know what your problem was...

Im willing to bet your wife didnt go through the step...well, stepS to get the trim clean enough for the coating to adhere properly to the plastic..?

IME, cleaning trim, even on newer cars, can be a PITA.

Try this: Prior to an exterior wash, Id use a fairly stiff, but soft bush (firm toothbrush works well) and some Zep Fast 505 degreaser (1:1 to be safe), or APC diluted 4:1 or so, simultaneously scrub/spray your trim. Go over it a few times, using fresh cleaner to flush out the dirty cleaner (keep the drips on your paint rinsed as you go, dont let it dry). Once you do that, wash your car like normal and dry it. After everything is dry come back to your trim and use IPA diluted in distilled water (5:1ish) and a clean light colored MF towel to clean your plastic trim, youll probably get black transfer onto the MF towel as you rub the trim with IPA, youll wanna clean your trim until the MF towel comes off clean (or mostly clean, some older trim will continue to blacken towels if they are corroded). Youll notice after that, your trim my look a little lighter in color, because youve stripped the plastic of any prior dressings or products that were on it and any oils from fingerprints, road grime ect. Plastic, being porous, tends to hold onto these products even after they "wear off". Alcohol can also lighten plastics (use diluted not straight)- no worries, your coating should get the plastic to the way its supposed to look and keep it that way.

If you dont get your surface really REALLY clean, a specialty product like a coating will have a hard time adhering to it- thats my guess as to what happened to yours.

That being said, using a products specifically developed for platic restoration/protection may yield better results anyway since they are formulated to darken the plastic more than most paint coatings are.

Hope this helps, i havent used a coating on plastic, but ive cleaned plenty of it, shit takes forever to get all the way clean, and usually once you get it there, the trim looks more faded than when you started and its requires some kind of dressing to get looking correctly, repetitive use of the dressing will help restore its color, a coating/permanent product like Gtechniq C4 will make it look new for 2 years. I have a bottle of C4 dressing sitting in my Detail room ready to go on the 5.0. Ill be using the above mentioned method to clean all my plastic parts prior to coating.

OH- also, another product you may want to consider is 1z's "Deep Plastic Cleaner" Ive only used it in interiors and it works well, it may also work well on exterior trim- id use it in place of IPA- in fact, i may try this this weekend.

Last edited:

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
^^Thank you for posting that. I will see what I can do with it this coming weekend.

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
Give deep plastic cleaner a try. That stuff is pretty awesome. I had a paint scuff on my wife's mirror and APC diluted 4:1 wouldn't take it off but deep plastic took it off with some good scrubbing with a MF towel.

gothamite302

forum member
Reaction score

Thanks

Cquartz can absolutely be used on trim. As can Opticoat 2.0, Opticoat Pro, Gtechniq C1 ect.

Using a "trim specific" product would probably very well makes things a little easier, but i think i know what your problem was...

Im willing to bet your wife didnt go through the step...well, stepS to get the trim clean enough for the coating to adhere properly to the plastic..?

IME, cleaning trim, even on newer cars, can be a PITA.

Try this: Prior to an exterior wash, Id use a fairly stiff, but soft bush (firm toothbrush works well) and some Zep Fast 505 degreaser (1:1 to be safe), or APC diluted 4:1 or so, simultaneously scrub/spray your trim. Go over it a few times, using fresh cleaner to flush out the dirty cleaner (keep the drips on your paint rinsed as you go, dont let it dry). Once you do that, wash your car like normal and dry it. After everything is dry come back to your trim and use IPA diluted in distilled water (5:1ish) and a clean light colored MF towel to clean your plastic trim, youll probably get black transfer onto the MF towel as you rub the trim with IPA, youll wanna clean your trim until the MF towel comes off clean (or mostly clean, some older trim will continue to blacken towels if they are corroded). Youll notice after that, your trim my look a little lighter in color, because youve stripped the plastic of any prior dressings or products that were on it and any oils from fingerprints, road grime ect. Plastic, being porous, tends to hold onto these products even after they "wear off". Alcohol can also lighten plastics (use diluted not straight)- no worries, your coating should get the plastic to the way its supposed to look and keep it that way.

If you dont get your surface really REALLY clean, a specialty product like a coating will have a hard time adhering to it- thats my guess as to what happened to yours.

That being said, using a products specifically developed for platic restoration/protection may yield better results anyway since they are formulated to darken the plastic more than most paint coatings are.

Hope this helps, i havent used a coating on plastic, but ive cleaned plenty of it, shit takes forever to get all the way clean, and usually once you get it there, the trim looks more faded than when you started and its requires some kind of dressing to get looking correctly, repetitive use of the dressing will help restore its color, a coating/permanent product like Gtechniq C4 will make it look new for 2 years. I have a bottle of C4 dressing sitting in my Detail room ready to go on the 5.0. Ill be using the above mentioned method to clean all my plastic parts prior to coating.

OH- also, another product you may want to consider is 1z's "Deep Plastic Cleaner" Ive only used it in interiors and it works well, it may also work well on exterior trim- id use it in place of IPA- in fact, i may try this this weekend.

Pretty much exactly what he said. Using Eraser will not lighten your plastics and proper cleaning and prep is absolutely crucial for proper bonding. C'Quartz classic can be used for trim but DLUX is much better suited for that specific task as it adheres better, lasts longer, and darkens plastics once cured. Removal will be a much more labor intensive task becuase CQ and most coatings are Chemical Resistant, making physical agitation (stiff brush) the only way to remove it.

Dont let this bad experience sway you from the CarPro line, its amazing once you learn to use it!

As usual, feel free to contact me with any questions via PM, email ([email protected]) or calling me (PM for the number)

Jonathan Arrecis
Premier Detailing

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Still haven't gotten to the task of trying to get this stuff off. Weekend weather looks good so I will try and tackle it then and report back. Thanks everybody for your suggestions.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back