California special bumper fitment issues.

Asif C

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just installed the California special front and rear bumper on my 2005 mustang v6. https://lmr.com/item/LRS-20049AR-K/california-special-front-bumper-kit-05-09?gclid=Cj0KCQjwidSWBhDdARIsAIoTVb0KFwMW0DAwuDr6d70OMnjlJUMnWvKXoTsdW06zU4hfrnhmLJI3qfUaAgfcEALw_wcB

M
y original front grille didn’t fit. And I just realized that I need a gt grille instead. Anyone have a website they suggest to buy the gt grille?

My original inner front fenders liners LH and RH doesn’t fit. Do you guys know which fender liner I need for this bumper?

Any help is much appreciated.

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just installed the California special front and rear bumper on my 2005 mustang v6. https://lmr.com/item/LRS-20049AR-K/...lJUMnWvKXoTsdW06zU4hfrnhmLJI3qfUaAgfcEALw_wcB

M
y original front grille didn’t fit. And I just realized that I need a gt grille instead. Anyone have a website they suggest to buy the gt grille?

My original inner front fenders liners LH and RH doesn’t fit. Do you guys know which fender liner I need for this bumper?

Any help is much appreciated.

Look at American muscle, they have all the stuff you need, not sure about the fender liner and if they are different in terms of holes for clips and bolts v6 vs gt

JimC

Reaction score
You need the GT fender liners for any GT front fascia. The V6 front fascia and fender liners are not compatible - and as you discovered, the grille opening is different between the V6 and GT versions. You will need to do a search for the GT fender liner to find that part, or try www.car-parts.com and get them off a wreck

In the past, some were able to "adjust" the fender liners but I'm not sure what all was involved in doing that.

Joe combs

Reaction score
The front section of the wheel liners from a GT will be needed. As for the grille, you can use a GT grille, but if your car did not have the pony package, the wiring for the fog lights will not be there (just a thought). Any grille that is for a GT will work, I use the Bullitt grille and the Silver Horse Racing lower grille to complete the look of the California Special bumper.

Last edited:

Earl D Davis

Reaction score
I put the GT Grill in my 05 V6 car. the tabs that hold it in were located differently, as you are finding with the V6 grill. I connected what would line up and put a screw in each side. I wired the fog lights to the high beams with a relay, as they look like high beams anyway. I also just put the GT front and rear Fascias on a 07 California Special. I am putting on 1969 Mach 1 strips and brands because I had a 60 Mach 1 back in the day

Asif C

Reaction score
You need the GT fender liners for any GT front fascia. The V6 front fascia and fender liners are not compatible - and as you discovered, the grille opening is different between the V6 and GT versions. You will need to do a search for the GT fender liner to find that part, or try www.car-parts.com and get them off a wreck

In the past, some were able to "adjust" the fender liners but I'm not sure what all was involved in doing that.

Thanks for the reply. I ordered the gt fender liner and gt grille from american muscle. Junk yards were asking for too much money. I didn’t order the pony emblem because I think I can use it from my old one.

Asif C

Reaction score
The front section of the wheel liners from a GT will be needed. As for the grille, you can use a GT grille, but if your car did not have the pony package, the wiring for the fog lights will not be there (just a thought). Any grille that is for a GT will work, I use the Bullitt grille and the Silver Horse Racing lower grille to complete the look of the California Special bumper.

I got the front fender gt liners and the gt grille. It should be coming in a few days. I will most likely get the silver horse racing lower grille in the future.

How can I tell if I have the pony package? I don’t see s button for fog lights. Can I buy these?https://www.starkey-products.com/v6-mustang-fog-light-wiring-switch-kit-2005-2009

Spence340

Reaction score
If you have a rear sway bar your car had the pony package. Also, your light switch would have the fog light switch that pulls out to turn on the Pony fog lights that came with the package. I just noticed your car is an '05 so the Pony Package was not available on your car in 2005.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back