Can a Mustang be tuned ona dyno if the tuner doesn't know what cams are in the car?

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's the stock tune only.

This would be nice functionality- along with being able to read tunes on the PCM and upload/modify them.

It really seems like no one self tunes in the Ford world compared to GM world where EVERYONE self tunes. I don't know if SCT's limitations are a cause or effect of this.

If you have the SCT handheld tuner, you can make adjustments to your aftermarket tune. Spark timing, air/fuel ratio, rev limit, axle ratio, tire size, fan turn on temps, etc...

The reason SCT doesn't allow you to read, download, and modify tunes on the PCM is because if you could do that, then one person could get a custom tune for their modifications, download it and either sell it or give it out for free, basically putting tuners out of business or hurting their business.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
If you have the SCT handheld tuner, you can make adjustments to your aftermarket tune. Spark timing, air/fuel ratio, rev limit, axle ratio, tire size, fan turn on temps, etc...

I have an X3...I know what it can and can't do. The "adjustments" you can make are sweeping, general, and don't let you get into the nitty gritty of actual tuning. There's more to tuning than "ADD 2% FUEL TO 0-2000 RPM". :)

I'm using SCT's Advantage III to dial my car in more, and even it's very limited compared to what I'm used to with my GMs. It offers some nice functions, but not being able to read my PCM to get a better start file is very annoying.

The reason SCT doesn't allow you to read, download, and modify tunes on the PCM is because if you could do that, then one person could get a custom tune for their modifications, download it and either sell it or give it out for free, basically putting tuners out of business or hurting their business.

Guess what? HP Tuners does exactly this and there are still plenty of high profit GM tuning shops across the country.

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

How exactly do yo do this? I'm about to install gears and have a custom tune on my SCT and want to change the gear ratio.

RH

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
It depends on the available options the tuner put into your custom tune- if it's there, just reload the tune, select "Adjust Options" during the flash process, and change the axle ratio to whatever you're getting.

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mine just says stock tune and then the custom tune. Guess it's a not go for me then.

RH

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Get ahold of your tuner and ask them to unlock the options or change the axle ratio. It shouldn't cost you anything.

I'm hoping to go to the dyno on Wedenday. I'll ask him to change the ratio and unlock it in case I decide the 4.10's are too much.

RH

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
I'm hoping to go to the dyno on Wedenday. I'll ask him to change the ratio and unlock it in case I decide the 4.10's are too much.

RH

They won't be able to unlock the tune unless they were the ones who wrote it. If they didn't write it get ahold of who did and have them send you a new tune with the gear option unlocked.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
Mine just says stock tune and then the custom tune. Guess it's a not go for me then.

RH

Not a problem- select the custom tune and proceed- you should then be prompted for "Adjust Options" or "Skip Options". If not, then yes, you will have to contact your tuner...but I'd be very surprised. Most of the reputable tuners leave common options open.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
I'm using SCT's Advantage III to dial my car in more, and even it's very limited compared to what I'm used to with my GMs. It offers some nice functions, but not being able to read my PCM to get a better start file is very annoying.
What's limiting with the Advantage III? The only thing you don't have control of is the DBW stuff. You can have access to that if you take a class though.

What do you mean by reading the PCM? Are you just trying to get the stock tune file?

AMChrisRose

AmericanMuscle.com
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Do not try and dial a car in using the end user options, for cams, fueling, spark, etc. These are "blanketed" options that globally add or subtract and do not use the correct tables, logic, etc. Let your tuner do the modifying.

For small changes, such as gear ratio, tire size, idle speed, speed limiter - have at it with the adjustable options.

AMChrisRose

AmericanMuscle.com
Official Vendor
Reaction score
What's limiting with the Advantage III? The only thing you don't have control of is the DBW stuff. You can have access to that if you take a class though.

What do you mean by reading the PCM? Are you just trying to get the stock tune file?

He's trying to read his stock PCM so he can see what's been done in his custom tune and modify from there, which SCT doesn't do for dealer protection.

Without Calibrator Access (have to take both Basic and Advanced training), Advantage III software is missing probably 50% of the CRUCIAL parameters for dialing in a 2005-2012 Mustang.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
Exactly, Chris. It's a good start- mainly because they did include a Vortech/Paxton blower base file to work from- but it's very lacking compared to what I'm used to.

BTW, you guys (and Brenspeed, too) have been great to me tune wise- I just prefer doing things myself if at all possible, and have enjoyed dialing my own cars in in the past (albeit with better software, LOL).

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
He's trying to read his stock PCM so he can see what's been done in his custom tune and modify from there, which SCT doesn't do for dealer protection.

Without Calibrator Access (have to take both Basic and Advanced training), Advantage III software is missing probably 50% of the CRUCIAL parameters for dialing in a 2005-2012 Mustang.

Which ones are missing?

I've been able to take a look at A3 calibrator software and all I could see in difference was dbw and there were more vct functions specifically in the retard department. A3 prp only has 5 retard tables, imrc open and closed, 2 for load base 2 for torque base and 1 for a torque base master (I don't know what else to call it).

I'd really like to know what else I'm missing out on. I've debated taking the classes but since I'm only tuning my car it doesn't make alot of sense. I can tell you I'm learning more than I ever thought I would about engine management.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back