Car Running Rough After JLT CAI Filter Fell Off

SeanD

forum member
Reaction score
Hi,

Yesdterday I hit some really bad bumps in the road and I guess it dislodged the filter from my JLT Series 3 CAI. The car kept on dying when coming to a stop. I was 45 minutes aways from home and hurried up and drove home trying to keep the RPM's up, hoping that I didn't have to call a tow truck.

So when I got home and opened the hood, I found that the CAI filter fell off the CAI tube. I put it back on and then went for a test drive to check things out. I then got a CEL and when I got home the read P0175, P0172 and P2196. I cleared the codes, but now the car runs rough from 1st to 2nd. It sputters for a bit and then when I get into 2nd, it is fine.

I check the throttle body and cleaned it up. I don't have any MAF cleaner, so I will some tomorrow. Is there anything else I should check out that could be causing the stutters? Should the O2 sensors be cleaned?

SeanD

forum member
Reaction score
I did that when I finished cleaning everything up and called it a night. I will connect it back up and reload the tune and see if it gets better.

truckman7

forum member
Reaction score
Make sure you have the maf set in the correct position. Mine would run horrible and die if it was in the wrong position. Should be at about 11 o'clock when looking down at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeanD

forum member
Reaction score
I hadn't touched the MAF at all when it was running badly. I'll have to go and pick up some MAF cleaner today and see how it is.

SeanD

forum member
Reaction score
What could cause this? I am going to go out to a local automotive store and pick up the MAF cleaner. I'll see if it is still doing it. If so, I'll double check underneath tonight and see if I see anything weird.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Check the rest of the intake connections, especially the underside of the throttle body. If the filter came off after going over bumps I would think the rest of the connections might be just as loose.

CJ-

forum member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me a couple times and both times my GT ran weaker than usual after re attaching the air filter. The reason is that dust flys into the intake pipe and gets the MAF dirty, Buy CRC MAF cleaner and spray down your MAF. itll run fine again after that.

CJ-

forum member
Reaction score
Also, Look into replacing your motor mounts, The filter pops off the CAI pipe because the engine will lean too far to the right (towards passenger side of engine bay) during hard acceleration which pulls the CAI pipe with it and causes the air filter to get pulled against the air filter heat shield, which eventually pulls the filter off the CAI pipe.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Also, Look into replacing your motor mounts, The filter pops off the CAI pipe because the engine will lean too far to the right (towards passenger side of engine bay) during hard acceleration which pulls the CAI pipe with it and causes the air filter to get pulled against the air filter heat shield, which eventually pulls the filter off the CAI pipe.

Good point. When I installed the JBA LT's I also installed steeda HD motor mounts. That keeps it rigid, doesn't budge, and no increase in nvh.

SeanD

forum member
Reaction score
I already have Steeda HD motor mounts.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back