Limp mode after throttle body was taken off!!!

JC SSP

Reaction score
Order the proper rubber seal. Fel pro or oem motorcraft.

I recommend soapy water but I guess propane works too. Lol I just don’t like anything flammable around a running engine. I guess it’s just me. Lol

Hennessy

Reaction score
I used brake cleaner before but caused an engine fire on past vehicles when I was a teenager but I keep an extinguisher near by, though propane has yet to cause fire when checking leaks but yeah I never thought of soapy water always thought of something flammable to increase rpm’s

Hennessy

Reaction score
But I ordered gasket the store will have it tomorrow I got Fel pro and hopefully that’s the solution, I don’t reuse gaskets a lot unless it’s a reusable one just thought this one would do.

Hennessy

Reaction score
So I did gasket seemed to help a lot but after doing the relearn and idle stuff I test drove it so it had 40 minutes to relearn and was a idling without dieing but still had a lope to it. I wanted to see if it would limp mode at 4k rpm like before. It didn’t so I let it go wide open and then I limp moded after it hit the rev limiter and gave me codes for 02 sensor same throttle ones and lean bank 1 and 2 so maybe it is still relearning but it doesn’t try to die when you stop like before but sometimes idles at 3/4 mark sometimes a bit above half mark that are below 1k rpm sometimes it’ll rise up to 1k.

IMG_6557.png

Miker

Reaction score
I don't think its a good idea to hit the rev limiter on an engine that's is experiencing issues like you are describing.

Hennessy

Reaction score
Well the gasket didn’t fix it so maybe it’s the throttle body since it got codes I forgot to take it apart and look at the gears, but under load at higher rpm the car will do wrench in dash mode, also 02 sensors are definitely bad cause there codes are there and part of the exhaust needs to be reattached so maybe that’ll cure it.

moooosestang

Reaction score
Well the gasket didn’t fix it so maybe it’s the throttle body since it got codes I forgot to take it apart and look at the gears, but under load at higher rpm the car will do wrench in dash mode, also 02 sensors are definitely bad cause there codes are there and part of the exhaust needs to be reattached so maybe that’ll cure it.
In my experience 02 sensors are seldom the cause of an o2 sensor related code. If you are near Gainesville i have a stock 06 throttle body you could test. Only has 10k miles on it.

Hennessy

Reaction score
I ordered one from parts store ford brand, and some 02 sensors I’ll return em if they don’t fix it but thanks for the offer I’ll have em all hopefully by this weekend and see what does it.

Hennessy

Reaction score
I solved it! It was throttle body, also the one that was on there was much bigger than the factory one I replaced it with but it did not say ford performance or bbk so I think the last owner put a different ford throttle body on from another v8.

07 Boss

Reaction score
How did it run before? I mean how long have you had this car with the random TB? I'm just curious how it ran before and why it started acting up now. Post up a pic of the random throttle body. Is there no part numbers on it?

Jwood562

Reaction score
So you replaced it with a new oem one and it fixed?

But it was running well before you removed the old one?

I’m still leaning toward the electronics on your original got messed up during removal, probably during manually opening or closing the throttle body off the vehicle.

Not too many larger throttle bodies fit this engine so curious what you have

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When you manually moved the throttle blade you probably damaged the tb motor. You need to pull it apart and check the internals. Probably stripped a gear.
Yep you solved it. A more appropriate response is, thank you everyone for helping me diagnose my issue.

Hennessy

Reaction score
It had an f250 throttle body on it, much bigger ran alright before just sometimes had a random stumble that could stall it, but I thought was a loose wire or something because I had no codes before. I think the oem throttle body replacement fixed that as well but I gotta recharge the ac and see if it did fix it because that stumble caused the ac not to work. I think the previous owner thought it would add power having a bigger throttle body and went a cheaper route then buying a proper one, the was a drastic drop in diameter between throttle body spacers (had 2) and the big super duty throttle body. Though it didn’t fix the sensitive snappy throttle response so maybe last guy tuned it or something. But thanks everyone that helped!

Jwood562

Reaction score
Now I am even more curious.

What year f250 throttle body was it? Is this an upgrade that people do on 3v engines? Does it bolt up?

Did everything plug in to factory engine harness?

Why did it have two spacers?

Hennessy

Reaction score
The spacers were used to adapt the throttle body hole to the intake manifold hole since it was big I guess, but all wires plugged in and bolts worked as well it’s the superduties of same years as 3v mustangs

GlassTop09

Reaction score
OP, is this the throttle body you're referring to?

If so, this is the Ford 60mm TB that came w\ all '99-'07 E-series & F-series trucks\vans\RV's that were equipped w\ a 6.8L Triton V10 engine as well as all '07-'12 MY GT500's...........thus it will need an adapter to fit a '05-'10 MY GT IM & an adapter coupling to fit a CAI to it as well.

Will also need to be tuned (MAF recalibration & ETC TB PTA\EA mapping) to operate correctly on a 05-10 MY Mustang GT SO ECU.

So, if anyone is looking for a cheap TB upgrade (if you can still acquire the adapter plates), the junkyard is the place to go to look for any Ford 6.8L Triton-equipped vehicles...........this part I wasn't aware of until now.

FWIW..............

Ford 5.4L 5.8L V8 GT500 6.8L E250 E350 F250 F350 Triton V10 60mm Throttle Body.JPG

Hennessy

Reaction score
Yeah that’s the one I pulled off, I wonder if mine was tuned. But it’ll only help add power if you got some head work or something I’d recon or boost

Hennessy

Reaction score
If anyone wants the throttle body with adapter and spacer I’m around the sarasota area of fl, it needs new motor or sensors to function right but I’ll sell it for like 50bucks with its adapters.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back