Carbon fiber airbag cover

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
i don't want to sound like a ass. i am posting for you to completely think your plan thru before you spend to much time and $$ and end up injuring or worse yet kill someone. and like i said YOU CAN DO WHAT YOU WANT and this will be my last post about this.

and yes i have read the entire post.

i am no insurance agent selling insurance, but in my experiences i don't think you will be able to buy enough at a reasonable cost to cover yourself in case something bad were to happen. but then again that's your problem not mine.

again not to be a ass, but from how i read your posts, in my OPINION, you really don't fully understand how air bags work and the extreme forces behind air bag deployment. the cover MUST BE EXTREMELY FLEXIBLE to allow proper air bag deployment. real carbon fiber isn't. that's why the OEM covers are made out of vinyl or a flexible plastic, the side bag covers feel stiff because there are ridges cast into the edges. when a air bag deploys it tears inside of the edges.

i originally thought you made covers, but i was wrong and i apologize. but i now understand you make new covers "BUT WITH REAL. CARBON FIBER".in my opinin that's not really much better in a air bag deployment situation. real carbon fiber is NOT flexible and easily breaks and shatters when its bent extensivly. then you state in your original post "still have the aluminum and plastic/rubber backing so it doesn't fly apart and shatter everywhere". my question for you is how are you magically going to make sure the carbon fiber doesn't de laminate and shatter from the under layer of plastic and aluminum and still allow the air bag balloon to inflate properly? and how are you actually going to attach the 3 products together so they don't separate at the extreme forces of a air bag deployment and still allow it to inflate properly? because the carbon fiber resins won't hold everything together properly under air bag deployment.

also you compare replacing the cover with "real carbon fiber" with hydro dipping with a DECAL. they aren't even close and the 2 are in different worlds as far as flexibility. i also posted that i would cut the decal at the break lines for added safety. and i also stated i wouldn't be comfortable doing this.

from what i remember from training a air bag deploys in under 1/ 25 of a SECOND. also if i remember correctly a air bag deploys at speeds of around 100mph. when traveling at 30 mph, the air bag deploys and is 1/2 deflated in the time it takes your head to move forward 1". that's how fast it happens.

here are a couple of videos from you tube of air bag deployment. there are a LOT more if you search, i just linked the first 2 from when i searched.
in the first video you can see how the air bag deploys at a curve on the cover when it tears. you can see the cover bends WELL over 1", more like 5" or 6", before the bag is fully deployed. can real carbon fiber do that? how will it not shatter and become a projectile?
in the second video it shows the forces behind a air bag when it deploys. it shows throwing a mini spare tire +20' in the air when sitting on top of it during air bag deployment.

Last edited:

teeje

Reaction score
You realize the IUP dash airbag covers are aluminum right? This is going OVER the aluminum and is STILL as flexible with the carbon fiber. I used a resin that's rigid but will also have some play in it with a clear coat. Again, this does not effect how the airbag deploys. The covers are not modified in any way other than skinning them. It has one layer of carbon fiber. That's not enough to make it rigid. I don't think you seem to understand what I'm trying to accomplish here. The airbag covers are held on the airbag holder with plastic and metal caps or rivets or whatever you want to call them. You remove those to remove the covers. This wouldn't be any different than taking them off to hydrodip them and clear coat them. The flexibility does not change. I purposely bought a blown IUP airbag to see how it blew the covers out. The covers flap open and the airbag comes out. The tear seam is BEHIND the covers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
as i stated earlier. do what you want. i can't stop you and honestly it doesn't matter to me. because i will never install such a product and would never recommend use of such a product to anyone EVER.

in my OPINION there is a reason why no one has done this before and it's called liability insurance coverage. Takata had more insurance then you could ever could hope to buy and they still went bankrupt from product defects.
yes they had a larger number of products fail. but they also had significantly better lawyers than you could hope to hire.

so you tested 1 air bag, and i can almost guarantee there isn't even a high speed video of it to analyze after the fact, and called everything a success. was this test in a car to somewhat simulate real life conditions?
maybe you should call Takata and tell them they wasted millions and millions of $$$$ on testing their air bags and yet THEY STILL FAILED bankrupting them.

my question to you is, and answer this honestly. what would YOU do if your product, that any auto manufacturer cautions against using, failed and seriously or even slightly injured someone and faced a lawsuit in the 8 digit range? worse yet a scumbag lawyer drums up a class action suit on your product with every purchaser seeks 6 digit damage award?
i would first ask your insurance agent if you would even be covered if you make such a product. you might be surprised by his answer.

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
You realize the IUP dash airbag covers are aluminum right?

yes but not SOLID aluminum. there is basically just a thick layer of aluminum foil cover over plastic base.
-------------------------------
a ves This is going OVER the aluminum and is STILL as flexible with the carbon fiber. I used a resin that's rigid but will also have some play in it with a clear coat. Again, this does not effect how the airbag deploys. The covers are not modified in any way other than skinning them. It has one layer of carbon fiber. That's not enough to make it rigid.

several questions.
how is this NOT modifying them.
how does this "skinning" work? will someone have to send their air bag cover and you then bond carbon fiber to their cover? or do you send them a carbon fiber cover and they send you the one on their car? or how do they attach it in their car?
how can it still be flexible as no cover? you are describing a situation that breaks the laws of physics. as in the earlier videos you can see the covers bend significantly. this bending not only allows proper deployment it also helps direct where the bag deploys. you change this bending in ANY way it will change how it deploys.
any way you slice it that is a modification.
------------------

I don't think you seem to understand what I'm trying to accomplish here. The airbag covers are held on the airbag holder with plastic and metal caps or rivets or whatever you want to call them. You remove those to remove the covers.

i know exactly how they are held on and i understand on what you are trying to do. you don't grasp exactly what happens when a air bag deploys and how fast it happens and HOW it happens in a certain way.
there are metal tabs bent over the edges of the cover. when it deploys it tears open the indentations molded into the plastic to allow it to open. the plastic with thin foil covering slowly bends away when forced open by the air bag balloon. as i posted earlier this bending effects how fast and what direction it will deploy in.
when you bond something over the foil you will force it to slow down it's opening. this can change a situation from a almost nothing to a significant injury. 1/50 of a second can SIGNIFICANTLY change a air bag deployment situation.

----------------------

This wouldn't be any different than taking them off to hydrodip them and clear coat them.

this is SIGNIFICANTLY different than applying a decal . or you can post a video with catalyzed carbon fiber waving in the air like a thin piece of vinyl decal plastic or that can't stand upright without being supported.

---------

The flexibility does not change. I purposely bought a blown IUP airbag to see how it blew the covers out. The covers flap open and the airbag comes out. The tear seam is BEHIND the covers.

you seem to not understand how air bags work. a air bag deploys in 1/25 of 1 second. that's .004 of a second. you could probably deploy 3 air bags in the time it takes you to blink. if you add weight to a cover you will slow how fast it opens. if you delay the air bag opening by 1% or even 1/2 of 1% that can make the difference between no injury and significant injury.
as posted earlier the flexibility directs how fast and what direction it deploys in. if you add weight to the cover you can change things also.
also as i posted earlier was this in a car? i ask because that carbon fiber cover will hit the solid dash. will it shatter when it hits?
when you deployed the air bag did you do a timed slow motion video for you to know how fast and what direction it deploys in? do you have a comparison video to analyze if it actually changes things? if you slow the opening down a tiny bit that can change a non even to a significant injury.

i posted earlier i wasn't going to post conflicting comments to the OP. i am sorry but in my mind i must pass the proper info on how serious proper air bag deployment is and how little things like i posted this can make major changes that can be fatal.

if the OP want's to go forward good luck to him because he has been warned.

Last edited:

teeje

Reaction score
Just explain to me why there are carbon fiber covers that already exist for the airbag. Again I’m making my own that fit better. That is all.
Also I am VERY aware on how important airbag deployment is. Again, it does not affect how the airbag cover will flap out. The resin and carbon fiber is more flexible than the aluminum oem cover is. Ford made two types of airbag covers. One for the non iup dash which does not use aluminum covers and the iup dash which has the aluminum covers. As for airbag deployment, the tear seam is behind the airbag covers which also keep the factory split to allow the covers to flap out. They do not tear at the sides. Just in the middle.

Last edited:

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
i am not aware of ANY OEM 05-09, i only know these years, mustang dash panel that is made out of REAL carbon fiber.
i know the gt500's have simulated carbon fiber stamped into the foil cover. they call those carbon fiber panels but they aren't REAL carbon fiber.

and my counter point is post ANY FACTORY service manual, owners manual or bulletin that allow or recommend placing ANYTHING over the air bag covers or modifying the air bag covers in any way shape or form.

like i have posted before do what you want.
if you want to do it i wish you the best of luck and hope nothing bad happens.
the lessons learned from from my repair training is i would never do this or recommend doing this to ANYONE. this is why i am posting.

BEAST

CHEROKEE NOOB HUNTER
Reaction score
i am not aware of ANY OEM 05-09, i only know these years, mustang dash panel that is made out of REAL carbon fiber.
i know the gt500's have simulated carbon fiber stamped into the foil cover. they call those carbon fiber panels but they aren't REAL carbon fiber.

and my counter point is post ANY FACTORY service manual, owners manual or bulletin that allow or recommend placing ANYTHING over the air bag covers or modifying the air bag covers in any way shape or form.

the lessons learned from from my repair training is i would never do this or recommend doing this to ANYONE. this is why i am posting.

I think you have said plenty..... you are clogging up this man's thread with your bullshit. you have made your point if you want to continue the rant make your own thread and leave this mans the fuck alone. You are beating a dead horse trying to be the safety moderator.

OP. I really dig what you're doing don't let the naysayers and the safety Nazis stop you from modern your ride, I wouldn't mind doing mine to be honest.

Last edited:

teeje

Reaction score
I think you have said plenty..... you are clogging up this man's thread with your bullshit. you have made your point if you want to continue the rant make your own thread and leave this mans the fuck alone. You are beating a dead horse trying to be the safety moderator.

OP. I really dig what you're doing don't let the naysayers and the safety Nazis stop you from modern your ride, I wouldn't mind doing mine to be honest.
Thanks for the kind words. Im going to take some pictures so it is understood how this passenger airbag and cover works so people dont get their whities in a bunch

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score

Since you're on a quest, please do a search and comment on EVERY thread started where someone put racing seats in their Mustang. After all, the racing seats remove the side airbags. Not safe.

Oh, and the driver's position sensor in the racing seat cannot be installed like stock. So, someone could be sitting really, really close to the steering wheel and get hit with too much airbag force. Not safe.

The passenger side OCS might not read exactly 5-40 lbs and turn off the passenger side airbag at the perfect moments if you install an aftermarket seat. Not safe.

Also, I can remove the warning chime for the seatbelt by just plugging and unplugging it in a specific sequence. Note safe!

Come on, man. Get the word out!

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
you are missing the point of my posts.

the OP states this "THIS WILL NOT IMPEDE AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT. in the first post describing the product.
this statement is as accurate as "if you like your health plan you can keep it".

i called him on it and he doubled down on his insistence there is no problem or any potential problem with them. further along he said he tested 1 air bag and it works so he has proof they work just fine.
if this were actually true the hundreds of air bags i replaced under warranty because they caused a air bag light on the dash must have been good. i wasted my time replacing them because they all deployed when i blew the before they ended up in the trash so they HAD to be good. the air bag module must have been bad even though it told me the bags were. and after the bags were replaced the light went out. i guess i must have gotten lucky.

quite honestly he has absolutely no clue if they impede or don't impede air bag deployment without EXTENSIVE testing. so don't make a statement that they don't and i will be fine with it.

if he wants to sell them and people want to buy them. i have no problems with that. just don't be a P T Barnum when selling them.

all of the examples you posted about the customer or owner knows 100% the air bags or other safety devices are modified or disabled compromising safety. honestly there isn't a problem with that as long as the owner knows up front before anything gets done.

Last edited:

teeje

Reaction score
Let's put this to rest shall we? Look at the all rubber piece. This encloses the airbag
b27f3a35ddda6df3d3d71b2952889551.jpg

Now look at the airbag enclosure with the covers
2e060aa58ad0b6e9c5b8cd575b807d67.jpg

Would you look at that. It doesn't effect the split. Guess what happens to the covers when the airbag causes the enclosure to split? The covers flap open allowing the airbag to come out. THIS IS THE EXACT SAME WAY THE OEM COVERS WORK

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
you are missing my point.
just because the covers open and split at the factory seams when the bag deploys does NOT mean they open at exactly the same way and speed they were designed from the factory.
this rate of opening affects the opening rate AND the direction of how the bag opens. changing this opening rate even 1/100 or 1/200 of a second can change the outcome in a crash situation from no injuries whatsoever to serious injuries. just a fyi 1/100 of a second is a 25% change.
also you have no no tests on how these panels can change, flexibility and bond strength are a few possible changes, over time due to ultraviolet exposure, heat humidity and temperature. ask tankata how not accounting for changes from humidity over time works out.
the reasons i listed above are the reason why the factory never recommends modifying the air bags in any way shape or form.

as i posted times before. if you want to sell them i have no problem with that. JUST DON'T STATE THAT THEY DON"T CHANGE THE AIR BAG OPENING OR ALTER IT IN ANY WAY.
you have absolutely no clue if they do or do not open at the same rate, speed and direction. or are changed by time, temp, and humidity as designed from the factory.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
you are missing my point.
just because the covers open and split at the factory seams when the bag deploys does NOT mean they open at exactly the same way and speed they were designed from the factory.
this rate of opening affects the opening rate AND the direction of how the bag opens. changing this opening rate even 1/100 or 1/200 of a second can change the outcome in a crash situation from no injuries whatsoever to serious injuries. just a fyi 1/100 of a second is a 25% change.
also you have no no tests on how these panels can change, flexibility and bond strength are a few possible changes, over time due to ultraviolet exposure, heat humidity and temperature. ask tankata how not accounting for changes from humidity over time works out.
the reasons i listed above are the reason why the factory never recommends modifying the air bags in any way shape or form.

as i posted times before. if you want to sell them i have no problem with that. JUST DON'T STATE THAT THEY DON"T CHANGE THE AIR BAG OPENING OR ALTER IT IN ANY WAY.
you have absolutely no clue if they do or do not open at the same rate, speed and direction. or are changed by time, temp, and humidity as designed from the factory.

Ridiculous. Can you not imagine how many variables there are that could change an airbag speed and trajectory? There is certainly a +-X variable built in. Vehicle speed, direction, temperature, etc.

How strongly you, as the installer bent the tabs during the recall when hooking it to the plastic will make more difference than this guy’s carbon fiber cover.

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
Ridiculous. Can you not imagine how many variables there are that could change an airbag speed and trajectory? There is certainly a +-X variable built in. Vehicle speed, direction, temperature, etc.

THIS IS MY POINT OF MY POSTS.
ALL of the above listed variable are actually taken into account by the engineers who designed the air bags from the factory.
the factory has spent hundreds of MILLIONS, if not BILLIONS, of $$$ figuring things out and they still have failed, ie tankata fiasco. it cost then BILLIONS of dollars and the failure rate was about 1 in 1 MILLION. don't know the exact figures and haven't researched it, but approximately 30 million or more air bags are being replaced and there was what? 30 or so deaths or injuries from bad air bags?
when you change the cover or apply something to the air bag it can add variables to the air bag deployment. unless you EXTENSIVE testing with the new covers you CANNOT STATE that it DOESN'T change anything.

like i have posted before make and install them if you want. i don't care. just don't state that installing them will not change the air bag deployment because you really have no clue without more testing.

i don't have any real life percentages but my guess is air bag deployment is probably around 1% of air bags made. so if you install them you only have a 1% chance of finding out if there is a problem. but if something happens that 1% can be a HUGE difference.

this is basic air bag information i am posting and doesn't require a anything degree or anything like that. it gets address at EVERY air bag training class i have ever attended.

teeje

Reaction score
You're not understanding this at all. Flexibility does not change in either of the panels. Theno panels are made in plastic that are then wrapped I'm aluminum. When the airbag deploys, these panels do not bend. The airbag enclosure splits open which then mores the covers outward since they are mounted to the enclosure. The only thing that would effect the way the covers work is how they are mounted onto the enclosure. If you use 3m tape of course they will pop off and go flying. But by factory they are just held on by melted plastic. I'm done trying to make my point since it seems your sole purpose is to put a guys work down. The only thing that would effect how the airbag deploys is modifying the enclosure itself. The covers have nothing to do with it. You say all these things about the airbags being defective but guess what was reused in recalls? The airbag covers. If I could I would sit in front of the airbag and gladly let it deploy without worrying about anything. The only thing that is going to hurt me at all if any, would be the force of the airbag deploying. You keep ranting on making these huge posts in what seems to be to make me look stupid or neglegant. Trust me, I know what engineers go through to make things work. I was an engineer in the US Navy. I'm neither stupid, or neglegant. I take safety with upmost importance. I wouldn't even bother doing this if I felt un safe. You mention bonding strength and all these things but there are dash kits Mads to literally stick onto your dash that are made of real carbon fiber. I would know I used to have it. Sticks great at first but after a few weeks or even days in the hot or cold makes those covers either peel off or literally pop off. Not to mention that they do not fit well. I made my point and I am done replying to just you. I have said what I needed to say. Anyone who wishes to have these covers made or any other carbon fiber part can get in touch here or message me. You fail to realize that if someone is going to modify their airbag cover understands the risk. Hell, taking your airbag out of your car is more of a risk than doing this modification. Have a good day.

BEAST

CHEROKEE NOOB HUNTER
Reaction score
THIS IS MY POINT OF MY POSTS.
ALL of the above listed variable are actually taken into account by the engineers who designed the air bags from the factory.
the factory has spent hundreds of MILLIONS, if not BILLIONS, of $$$ figuring things out and they still have failed, ie tankata fiasco. it cost then BILLIONS of dollars and the failure rate was about 1 in 1 MILLION. don't know the exact figures and haven't researched it, but approximately 30 million or more air bags are being replaced and there was what? 30 or so deaths or injuries from bad air bags?
when you change the cover or apply something to the air bag it can add variables to the air bag deployment. unless you EXTENSIVE testing with the new covers you CANNOT STATE that it DOESN'T change anything.

like i have posted before make and install them if you want. i don't care. just don't state that installing them will not change the air bag deployment because you really have no clue without more testing.

i don't have any real life percentages but my guess is air bag deployment is probably around 1% of air bags made. so if you install them you only have a 1% chance of finding out if there is a problem. but if something happens that 1% can be a HUGE difference.

this is basic air bag information i am posting and doesn't require a anything degree or anything like that. it gets address at EVERY air bag training class i have ever attended.

Find your own thread. Stop being such a fucking douche.

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
i am not attacking you just stating facts. your comments on how the housing itself controls how a air bag deploys and downplay cover flexibility truly demonstrates how you don't fully understand how and why a air bag works.

my descriptions are a gross simplification on what, why and how a air bag deploys.

lets start at the beginning.
first there is the housing itself. this fully contains the air bag during deployment. it's attached to the dash opening securely to make sure when deploys everything goes straight as basically intended.
then there is a tube running inside the housing with vents built into it. this holds the explosive charge that allows the air bag to expand. this is the problem with the tankata air bags. it corrodes and little pieces become shrapnel when the air bag deploys. the vents help control the expanded air in a certain direction to properly inflate the air bag balloon.
then the air bag itself which i like to call the balloon. it's folded in a certain way at rest in the housing. there is powder between the layers of cloth to keep everything from sticking and help it unfold properly so when it goes off it unfolds a certain way in a specific process in a certain amount of time.
then the rubber packing and cover with what you call "BLOW OUT PANELS" and i call "TEAR SEAMS"............... this is the source of our disagreement.
"BLOW OUT PANELS" suggest something like a pop off valve, or a lid on a pringels chips can where you squeeze the center and the lid pops off. this is a completely incorrect description on what happens to the outer panels during air bag deployment.
a "TEAR SEAM" is accurate and does just what it describes. when the bag deploys the bag starts expanding. it bulges up in the center of the bag and starts to tear in the center of the bag and move to the outer edges. once it makes it to the ends it starts tearing on the sides. it doesn't just pop open like you describe. the"FLEXIBILITY" of the cover helps control the speed of how fast the sides tear and how fast the balloon escapes, unfolds in the proper sequence and the final direction from the housing itself. the weight of the cover also helps determine how fast this door tears open also. remember all of this action happens in 1/25 of 1 second.

this process is easily seen in the drivers side slow motion video i posted. the exact same process happens on the passengers side. the problem is it's not as easily seen in the video as the drivers side deployment. the first GM air bag training class a attended we watched a video of just the air bag deploying in slow motion that lasted 5 min. and then we watched a 5 min video of a 1" long piece of 3/4" masking tape placed over a side tear seam changed the direction of how it deployed significantly.

"TEAR SEAMS" built into the cover, the weight of it and how it bends are extremely important factors in how fast, what direction, and help make the final shape of the air bag balloon itself when it deploys.
the factory spends a significant amount of $$$ designing the weight of the cover, where to mold the seams into the cover, how fast the seams tear, and how the cover flexes to properly allow the bag to unfold in a certain sequence when it deploys. ANY and i truly mean this ANY CHANGES to the weight and flexibility, both more and less, can significantly change how the air bag deploys. you change the weight and flexibility of the cover and you just flushed all of the $$$ spend by the factory designing it down the toilet and have to start over with the design. this is reason the factory writes in the manuals you don't make ANY changes or modification to a air bag.

THIS LAST PARAGRAPH IS WHAT I BASE ALL OF MY POSTS ON ABOUT YOU TRULY CANNOT STATE THAT THERE ARE NO CHANGES TO HOW THE AIR BAG DEPLOYS. i post this because you really won't have a clue if and how these modifications MIGHT change air bag deployment without a significant amount of tests after changing the weight and flexibility of the cover.

if you want to believe it or not that's your choice. i base my description from working on air bags for about 30 years.

BEAST

CHEROKEE NOOB HUNTER
Reaction score
i am not attacking you just stating facts. your comments on how the housing itself controls how a air bag deploys and downplay cover flexibility truly demonstrates how you don't fully understand how and why a air bag works.

my descriptions are a gross simplification on what, why and how a air bag deploys.

lets start at the beginning.
first there is the housing itself. this fully contains the air bag during deployment. it's attached to the dash opening securely to make sure when deploys everything goes straight as basically intended.
then there is a tube running inside the housing with vents built into it. this holds the explosive charge that allows the air bag to expand. this is the problem with the tankata air bags. it corrodes and little pieces become shrapnel when the air bag deploys. the vents help control the expanded air in a certain direction to properly inflate the air bag balloon.
then the air bag itself which i like to call the balloon. it's folded in a certain way at rest in the housing. there is powder between the layers of cloth to keep everything from sticking and help it unfold properly so when it goes off it unfolds a certain way in a specific process in a certain amount of time.
then the rubber packing and cover with what you call "BLOW OUT PANELS" and i call "TEAR SEAMS"............... this is the source of our disagreement.
"BLOW OUT PANELS" suggest something like a pop off valve, or a lid on a pringels chips can where you squeeze the center and the lid pops off. this is a completely incorrect description on what happens to the outer panels during air bag deployment.
a "TEAR SEAM" is accurate and does just what it describes. when the bag deploys the bag starts expanding. it bulges up in the center of the bag and starts to tear in the center of the bag and move to the outer edges. once it makes it to the ends it starts tearing on the sides. it doesn't just pop open like you describe. the"FLEXIBILITY" of the cover helps control the speed of how fast the sides tear and how fast the balloon escapes, unfolds in the proper sequence and the final direction from the housing itself. the weight of the cover also helps determine how fast this door tears open also. remember all of this action happens in 1/25 of 1 second.

this process is easily seen in the drivers side slow motion video i posted. the exact same process happens on the passengers side. the problem is it's not as easily seen in the video as the drivers side deployment. the first GM air bag training class a attended we watched a video of just the air bag deploying in slow motion that lasted 5 min. and then we watched a 5 min video of a 1" long piece of 3/4" masking tape placed over a side tear seam changed the direction of how it deployed significantly.

"TEAR SEAMS" built into the cover, the weight of it and how it bends are extremely important factors in how fast, what direction, and help make the final shape of the air bag balloon itself when it deploys.
the factory spends a significant amount of $$$ designing the weight of the cover, where to mold the seams into the cover, how fast the seams tear, and how the cover flexes to properly allow the bag to unfold in a certain sequence when it deploys. ANY and i truly mean this ANY CHANGES to the weight and flexibility, both more and less, can significantly change how the air bag deploys. you change the weight and flexibility of the cover and you just flushed all of the $$$ spend by the factory designing it down the toilet and have to start over with the design. this is reason the factory writes in the manuals you don't make ANY changes or modification to a air bag.

THIS LAST PARAGRAPH IS WHAT I BASE ALL OF MY POSTS ON ABOUT YOU TRULY CANNOT STATE THAT THERE ARE NO CHANGES TO HOW THE AIR BAG DEPLOYS. i post this because you really won't have a clue if and how these modifications MIGHT change air bag deployment without a significant amount of tests after changing the weight and flexibility of the cover.

if you want to believe it or not that's your choice. i base my description from working on air bags for about 30 years.

Please find your own thread to shit on. Make one so you can be the fucking safety police if that makes you feel important. That MIGHT be a good idea.. But for the love of everything stop shitting on this man's thread with opinions you were NEVER asked for. The old mods would have sat you down and cleaned this shit up already. Opinions are very much like assholes, so wet yours and introduce the two. I'm glad that 1gram is the difference between life and death.... Do you realize how much shit we cut out of these cars to make them lighter? Wanna school me on how a lighter car will impact airbag velocity and impact speeds based on the laws of inertia...? Shut the fuck up already.

Onelildude

forum member
Reaction score
I can't even enjoy this post with the long safety essay's. OP great idea, wish I came up with something like this.

Do you want to sell me a kit? I need all of the aluminum panels to be replaced with carbon...

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back