Claybaring new car

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
So I picked up my 2012 Kona Blue GT last night and was thinking....

When is a good time to do the first clay bar? I know the paint is fresh and want to give it time to cure (?).

I know the Kona Blue is going to look badass after it is done.

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
Paint has probably had plenty of time to cure. I'd say go ahead and do it. Ultra already did his 2013.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Right away. Or if you have a PC/Flex try out the Nano skin auto scrubs.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I have the McQuires claybar.

What is the PC/Flex?

they're dual action polishers. Basically the only way to remove defects from paints such as swirl marks. Well rotaries obviously can too, but they do require a bit of skill.

DA Buffer's are fairly safe but do require some investment. They are absolute must haves if you are into keeping your surface prepped perfectly.

The nanoskin autoscrub is a pad that attaches to the DA Buffer and can replace clay barring. Cuts the time down by about 75%.

dmhines

KONA GT
Reaction score
Well .. 2012's haven't been built for a while so I assume its been sitting on a lot .. so I would definitely clay bar it before first wax.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
The trick with these dark colored cars is to keep the claybar SUPER lubed!!!! Don't let it drag at all. Fold it on itself frequently. You want to clay it ASAP before the rail dust and other contaminants etch and pit the paint.

DO IT!!!! Pahahaha. You caint hide behind that fancy new screen name!!!! LOL!!

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
With that dark colored car, I'd be investing in a PC7424XP or a Flex 3401 and corresponding polishes and pads or at least a good filler combo like Chemical Guys Black Light and Lava

AOnorato

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Pick up regular DA first, then a Flex. If you can...get both, they both have their uses...but for correction and polishing I LOVE my 3401...makes me rarely use my PE-14.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Pick up regular DA first, then a Flex. If you can...get both, they both have their uses...but for correction and polishing I LOVE my 3401...makes me rarely use my PE-14.

I don't see the need for a PC if you have a Flex. Especially with the new smaller backplates available for Flex now.

AOnorato

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I feel for waxing and nanoskin-ing the PC is better. Not a fan of forced rotation for either of them.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
Alright....

So what will I need to do it RIGHT?

Claybar I can do.

I have been looking at the autogeek.net website and seen their stuff on Two Guys Garage. Where do I start, as there is a tone of stuff on their page to buy.

Starter kit basically is what I am looking for.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Alright....

So what will I need to do it RIGHT?

Claybar I can do.

I have been looking at the autogeek.net website and seen their stuff on Two Guys Garage. Where do I start, as there is a tone of stuff on their page to buy.

Starter kit basically is what I am looking for.

To clay bar the car? Buy a fine grade clay bar and lube. Thats all you need.

If you want to do a full detail, you'll need a lot more.

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
look for a porter cable or flex kit, thats how I got started. I love my DA I'll never do sealants by hand again and it's nice to have the power to remove swirls as well. Being new, you shouldn't have any swirls I would think, but I've been wrong before.

if it were me, I'd buy some grit guards, and always wash with those and the 2 bucket method, clay the car, and since it so new, I'd probably jump to sealing unless you can see obvious swirls or surface spots that need to be DA'd. I'd then wax a few days later. sealant needs a few days before waxing over top of it. . It depends on your products somewhat too.

then again, I'm not a pro by any means. But the rule applies do the least aggressive first and work back if needed.

shark tales

Wiggle Wiggle Memeber
Reaction score
I love that you guys know how to properly detail. most ppl that say they detail barely know how to wash and wax lol

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
To do a full detail the right way you will need a lot of stuff. If you have the money buy a flex right off the bat, along with a nice polish like sip, some backlight, Wolfgang etc for a sealant and then wax which just depends on how much you want to spend.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back