Claybaring new car

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
If I am going to claybar it, then I am going to go all the way and do a full detail.

Then you'll need at least:

-PC7424 XP or Flex 3401
-good quality microfiber towels (not from pep boys or target) Chemical guys or pakshak always have good deals
-waffle weave drying towels
-glass cleaner and glass towels
-interior detailer (use a highly dilluted apc for this)
-interior dressing (Chemical guys silk shine for interior trim etc is a favorite of mine)
-leather cleaner / conditioner / dressing (if you have leather) (Lexol makes spray products for all three of these, some of the best on the market for the price... zymol and swissvax do make better products in this category but can get pricey)
-compound (Menzerna SIP or Meguiars #105, I prefer Menzerna, CG V34 is also good)
-polish (Menzerna Power Finish or Menzerna PO85RD, or CG V36, Meguiars #205... is not so good in this category)
-finishing polish (Menzerna Power Finish or Nano Polish or CG V38)
- 2-4 compounding pads, polishing pads, finishing/application pads
-pad cleaner (use whatever, dilluted apc or specificly made for pads)
-2 5 gallon wash buckets with grit guards
-foam wash mitt or a natural sea sponge
-car soap (Maxi Suds II for daily cleaning, CG Honey Dew for good foaming, CG Citrus Wash for cleaning/LSP strip)
-all purpose cleaner (Meguiars APC+, CG APC etc etc)
-tire shine/gel, tire applicators (Ultima Tire Guard, Optimum Tire Gel, TUF Tire Sealant)
-trim dressing & foam brushes
-clay bar and clay lube
-paint sealant (CG Jet Seal 109, CG Black Light or you could look into nano coatings, note how I no longer recommend BFWD)
-carnauba wax (optional) (This depends on your budget, CG Lava, CG Celeste Detagglio, Zymol Carbon, Zymol Titanium, Zymol Glasur, Zymol Concours, PS21S 100%)
-foam applicator pads

That should be enough to get you started on your first "full" detail.

Last edited:

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
Then you'll need at least:

-PC7424 XP or Flex 3401
-good quality microfiber towels (not from pep boys or target)
-waffle weave drying towels
-glass cleaner and glass towels - HAVE
-interior detailer
-interior dressing
-leather cleaner / conditioner / dressing (if you have leather)
-compound
-polish
-finishing polish
- 2-4 compounding pads, polishing pads, finishing/application pads
-pad cleaner
-2 5 gallon wash buckets with grit guards - HAVE buckets, needs the guards.
-foam wash mitt or a natural sea sponge - HAVE
-car soap - HAVE
-all purpose cleaner
-tire shine/gel, tire applicators - HAVE
-trim dressing & foam brushes
-clay bar and clay lube - HAVE
-paint sealant
-carnauba wax (optional)
-foam applicator pads

That should be enough to get you started on your first "full" detail.

Thats a BIG list, but it does not scare me.

Any recommendations on products from the list above. Probably will not be buying all at once, but will buying what I must have to start.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Thats a BIG list, but it does not scare me.

Any recommendations on products from the list above. Probably will not be buying all at once, but will buying what I must have to start.

I'll re-edit my list. One moment

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
If I am going to claybar it, then I am going to go all the way and do a full detail.

Clay it and keep the bar soaked at all times, wash it really good, glaze it, seal it and be done with it. You don't need a bazillion dollars worth of stuff yet. That'll come as you wash it and drive it and the micromarring happens.

Just clay it, wash it, glaze it, seal it. DONE!

The ONLY thing that would enhance your paint(if you really care about slickness) is to wetsand it and buff alot of the orange peel out of it, but I wouldn't even attempt this nor would I let anyone else attempt it on a brand new vehicle.

MY $0.02 anyways and what Seer is suggesting is excellent as well of course.

Last edited:

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Clay it and keep the bar soaked at all times, wash it really good, glaze it, seal it and be done with it. You don't need a bazillion dollars worth of stuff yet. That'll come as you wash it and drive it and the micromarring happens.

Just clay it, wash it, glaze it, seal it. DONE!

The ONLY thing that would enhance your paint(if you really care about slickness) is to wetsand it and buff alot of the orange peel out of it, but I wouldn't even attempt this nor would I let anyone else attempt it on a brand new vehicle.

MY $0.02 anyways.

I wetsanded my Shelby with less than 200 miles on it :D

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
I wetsanded my Shelby with less than 200 miles on it :D

You have the skills to. Not something I would attempt nor suggest unless that person in highly trained, talented, skilled like you.

I would make a mess. LOL!!

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
To make it SHOW CAR QUALITY, and if you are skilled or trust your skill level, then NOTHING can compare to the slickness of a properly wetsanded, buffed and fully detailed car like what Seer and the others can do. IMO.

Again, I ain't gots the skillzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.. LOL!!

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
To make it SHOW CAR QUALITY, and if you are skilled or trust your skill level, then NOTHING can compare to the slickness of a properly wetsanded, buffed and fully detailed car like what Seer and the others can do. IMO.

Again, I ain't gots the skillzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.. LOL!!

wet sanding is easy, buy a rotary and some scrap panels and start practicing. You'll also need a good paint gauge. I like defelsko's products

bw281

forum member
Reaction score
So I picked up my 2012 Kona Blue GT last night and was thinking....

When is a good time to do the first clay bar? I know the paint is fresh and want to give it time to cure (?).

I know the Kona Blue is going to look badass after it is done.

To for it. A fine grade clay bar and plenty of qd lube to keep that color looking great. I've always owned red mustangs, but that kona really tempts me. Nice pickup.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back