Clutch issues

TheFourSixThatCould

Reaction score
So I blew my motor and got it rebuilt and while doing all that I threw in a new exedy clutch and master cylinder, and a autozone flywheel why I figured that’s better then re surfacing. After bleeding the system with a vacuum pump and pumping pedal the car won’t go into gear while running unless I SHOVE it in. Car will row gears fine when off. I have no clue if I could have missed something during the install as this was my first big job but I can’t think of what it is. If I row the gears in neutral what’s the chance my clutch is in backwards? I thought I double checked it but everything off the table now. Also my clutch pedal engagement point is 1mm off the floor now.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Properly installed, the slave cylinder will do a good job of bleeding itself when you pump the pedal. Especially if you filled it before bolting it to the transmission. It is very common to use a shim plate between the slave cylinder (throwout assembly) and the transmission to correct clutch travel. It sounds like you are not fully disengaging the clutch.

TheFourSixThatCould

Reaction score
Properly installed, the slave cylinder will do a good job of bleeding itself when you pump the pedal. Especially if you filled it before bolting it to the transmission. It is very common to use a shim plate between the slave cylinder (throwout assembly) and the transmission to correct clutch travel. It sounds like you are not fully disengaging the clutch.
Is there anything you would recommend that would involve not pulling the trans out? I’ve heard things about shims but with a full exedy clutch I would think that’s not needed for what I payed lol and I feel like I don’t have to skills to figure that out. Would there be a way to test anything?

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
1mm off the floor now
What you describe tells me you likely do not have enough clutch travel. If you still have air in the line or throwout cylinder you will have reduced travel. Pumping the pedal will eventually cure this problem. More likely, you do not have enough preload on the throwout bearing and are operating the clutch at the end of its travel. Did you measure the throwout bearing preload before you installed the transmission?
You wrote you installed an Exedy clutch and master. I assume you mean clutch and throwout bearing which would be the slave cylinder and an Autozone flywheel. Your new flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing can stack up to a different length than stock. The only adjustment is with shims.
:driver:

TheFourSixThatCould

Reaction score
What you describe tells me you likely do not have enough clutch travel. If you still have air in the line or throwout cylinder you will have reduced travel. Pumping the pedal will eventually cure this problem. More likely, you do not have enough preload on the throwout bearing and are operating the clutch at the end of its travel. Did you measure the throwout bearing preload before you installed the transmission?
You wrote you installed an Exedy clutch and master. I assume you mean clutch and throwout bearing which would be the slave cylinder and an Autozone flywheel. Your new flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing can stack up to a different length than stock. The only adjustment is with shims.
:driver:
You would be correct about the throw out bearing, mis typed that. Also I did not measure, would you have a good video or instructions on measuring? Also would you have a way of testing this as pulling the transmission only might be a struggle for my drive way conditions.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
You can row through the gears when the engine is not running but can’t get it in gear when running. That is a huge indicator. Another is, what happens if you push in the clutch, put transmission in gear and try to start the engine. Caution!!! If the clutch is dragging the car will move. I don’t know any way to correct this without removing the transmission. You should be able to search this site for discussions on measuring preload and shimming the throwout bearing. I have read them several times.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Found a fairly good thread using the search titled My car keeps eating slave cylinders. Please help.
Might help understand the measurement.

moooosestang

Reaction score
jack up the front drivers side as high as you can and pump the clutch pedal a million times with the cap off the master cylinder. you could just have air still in the line. it's worth a shot before pulling the trans.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back