Collapsed Lifter Adjustment Gap

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Crazy people pressurize a container with their compressor and adapt it to the oil pressure fitting at the filter housing.

I may do this, I may not. Probably not! You are right about the assembly lube.

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
not sure the importance of a pressurized system before start up, I mean you could always just unplug the injectors and coils and turn it over a few times, most likely what I will do.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Is it really that critical to prime the motor before first start up?

I would have thought the high quality assembly lube would protect everything until the oil pressure builds up. Since the motor typically does not start immediately, usually needs a couple of cranks, the oil pressure should be available by start up.

What does everyone else do?

I just unplug the fuel pump relay and then crank the engine for 5-10 seconds, let it sit a minute, crank 5-10 seconds, and do that about 5 times. I also use a liberal amount of assembly lube as well to prevent any issues.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
$15 dollar garden sprayer and a fitting.
Not alot of work involved to do it.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
Submerge them in clean fresh oil, and pump them up.
Ensure the air bubbles stooo....wait didn't I read this somewhere else today?

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
Submerge them in clean fresh oil, and pump them up.
Ensure the air bubbles stooo....wait didn't I read this somewhere else today?

I would do that for new ones yes, but wondering if it's any different for already used adjusters going back into a motor.

and I felt like I read it somewhere else too, but I can't remember where :(

na svt

Reaction score
Valvetrain setup instructions:
First , clear all oil from an adjuster. This is done by holding the adjuster upside down and blowing compressed air alternately into the adjusters two holes; feed hole in the side and the hole in the end where the rocker sits. It’s vital that the adjuster is free from oil.
1. Install an oil free adjuster, rocker, cam, and cam cap on the valve you wish to check and rotate the cam so the roller is on the lobe’s base circle....
2. Completely depress the adjuster by pushing down on the follower.
3. Using a feeler gauge and without forcing it, insert the thickest blade that can be put between the lobe and the roller.
The spec is .018” to .033”, if it is less than .018” the tip of the valve stem will have to be ground to provide more clearance. If more than .033”, shims or a thicker lash cap or a longer stem valve will have to be used. If the clearance goes beyond .045” or so it can cause noise or spitting out a rocker on startup or high speed. If the valve job was done on a Serdi all the stem heights should be the same +or- .005 ''. It should be necessary to check only one valve on the int. side and one on the exh side. If there is doubt about the quality of the work all the valves must be checked.
The rocker ratio is 1.8-1 (almost 2-1) this means if you add a .020” shim under an adjuster it will reduce the clearance at the roller .010”.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Wait!!! You have to soak new lifters in oil over night and pump the while submerged in oil??? I just install all my new lifters without doing this... The Ford service manual did not state this step.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
^Yup.
I guess you could prime the motor with the pressurized sprayer, whilst turning it over by hand.
Valve covers off to inspect as you do it....Messy

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
Just get whatever oil you're using dump a quarter of the quart into something to let all the adjusters be covered, and then pump one by one with your fingers until it's primed. I just did mine to clean them out, I pumped them up and blew them out with compressed air twice to get all the old stuff out of them.

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
suggested, I mean it just makes it easier than having to prime them while in the motor, lets me know I have each one primed and not taking a chance of one not being primed at all. I would prime them by hand first, get it together and then prime the entire system.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Damn, wish I would have seen this before. I really do not want to tear into my freshly installed parts.

I was planning to prime the motor by pulling the fuel pump fuse and just cranking the starter a few times until pressure is seen on the gauge.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
I would just pull the covers and watch while it's being done.
To ensure everything is at it should be.
Also turning the motor over by hand as I suggested would probably be safer.
But do what you will.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back