Cone 502 Racing #23 STU 2009 Mustang GT

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
The 5.0 in ESP trim can make 150hp over what my car makes at the wheels. The 4.6 is great, if you go forced induction. Which is not legal....

If one has FI on a 4.6L.... what category do u end up in...or is it a strict no-no ?

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
If one has FI on a 4.6L.... what category do u end up in...or is it a strict no-no ?

Street Modified would be the next class "up" in which it can be added or you could just go to CAM. SM has minimum weights and the blower or hair dryer adds 1.4L of displacement to the weight calculation.

jraskell

Reaction score
Another big distinction between SM and CAM is the allowed tires. SM is a comp tire class and CAM is a street tire class.

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
You won't need brake pads for autox. I had HP+ and AX6s on the S197 and the stock S550 PP stuff is every bit as good......and quiet.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
You won't need brake pads for autox. I had HP+ and AX6s on the S197 and the stock S550 PP stuff is every bit as good......and quiet.

Depending on track layout, how does one manage to overheat the brakes in a 58 sec autoX run ?

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Depending on track layout, how does one manage to overheat the brakes in a 58 sec autoX run ?

It's not so much a concern of heat as it is a concern over pedal feel for autocross. How linear do you want the brakes? How much initial bite? Stuff like that. "Autocross compounds" like the HP+ and AX6 are pretty low temperature pads that manage to feel more like a race pad than a street pad.

Also, you can do brake bias tricks by running a more aggressive bad on either end of the car.

Whiskey11

Reaction score

Small enough rotors and aggressive enough compounds? :) I don't know how the course did it but the Test'n'Tune course at Spring Nationals was getting my brake pads hot enough to start to smell the pads. It DID have one big 68 mph curve at the back section that went down into a 25mph quick offset and then followed that up with a series of greater than 90º turns with little run off room. That was a different experience.

Never got them hot enough on the big courses to smell them though.

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score

I've overheated (not slightly, but completely overheated) the brakes on a high powered SN95 Cobra prepped for ESP when running at Nationals. The suspension was not well done and to balance the car I used a huge amount of left foot braking to get the car to move. By second runs the brakes were soft.

I've done the same with a poorly setup Miata, and even with my well set up, bike powered Lotus 7, though the Lotus had some very small brakes.

jraskell

Reaction score
I smoked my stock pads, with less than 5000 miles on the car, at an event last summer with a co-driver. We weren't exactly hot lapping the car, but there was maybe 5 minutes between runs, and on my 4th run (the 8th of the afternoon), the front pads finally just gave up about three quarters through the run. They were literally smoking as I limped through timing. This was on a ~80 second course.

Whiskey11

Reaction score
I smoked my stock pads, with less than 5000 miles on the car, at an event last summer with a co-driver. We weren't exactly hot lapping the car, but there was maybe 5 minutes between runs, and on my 4th run (the 8th of the afternoon), the front pads finally just gave up about three quarters through the run. They were literally smoking as I limped through timing. This was on a ~80 second course.

That course was either waaay too fast or sounds like it is 100% unfun to drive. That T'n'T course was the most brake abusive course I've done and the only time I've ever had brake pads hot enough to smell them. No performance degradation but just could smell them. I'm not exactly easy on brakes either FWIW.

EDIT: Pads are definitely personal choice. I plan on giving the stockers a shot but I will probably go to the AX6 pads before too long and preserve the stock pads. Initial bite, linearity, pad release, pedal effort... all important to how the car drives.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
My HPS pads + 2.5" silicone brake hoses (fronts) have worked fairly good so far, but the local autox layout is not too hard on brakes. After adding the brake ducts + hoses, no brake smell with any amount of aggressive braking.

jraskell

Reaction score
That course was either waaay too fast or sounds like it is 100% unfun to drive.

I thought it was a rather fun course to drive, but it was a lot of moderately tight elements spaced far enough apart that hard braking was required entering those element, and one long straight that had me bouncing off the rev limiter (at ~67mph) ending in effectively a hairpin.

My left foot braking was still less than smooth at that point as well, so I'm sure that was a contributing factor.

Whiskey11

Reaction score
Subbing.

I'm coming to NE whiskey. You need to show me a thing or two.

Ohh?! Coming to Nationals or moving here because you hate your life? :p

Ironically enough, this car is not being run at the moment. Only thing on the car that is left on it are the exhaust pipes, CAI+Tune, torque arm, and the front LCA's. Everything else is off and the Watts and Coilovers are sold.

TaylorGT

forum member
Reaction score
Ohh?! Coming to Nationals or moving here because you hate your life? :p

Ironically enough, this car is not being run at the moment. Only thing on the car that is left on it are the exhaust pipes, CAI+Tune, torque arm, and the front LCA's. Everything else is off and the Watts and Coilovers are sold.

Can't wait to see the 15' on the course. Nah not moving there, but I have to travel to STL/KC for most SCCA/NASA events so I figured I should just book and event in NE and swing up. I just gotta get rid of these donk 20s.

Whiskey11

Reaction score
Can't wait to see the 15' on the course. Nah not moving there, but I have to travel to STL/KC for most SCCA/NASA events so I figured I should just book and event in NE and swing up. I just gotta get rid of these donk 20s.

Gotcha! :) Not sure I'll have the 15 before any of the next local events, might not have it for the MidDiv championship either... I'm PRAYING it gets here before MidDivs but we'll see. Expected delivery date is 8/19/15 if it hasn't been delayed again!

Whiskey11

Reaction score
Sorry Whiskey but just to make sure, you answered yes for hot or cold pressure ?

Just started lapping my Mustang and wondering which pressure to run.

Thanks !

I ran those pressures both hot and cold on the car. It worked best at those pressures for autocross! ;) Sorry I couldn't be any more help!

Back