Considerable PCV Leak, time to replace?

OctaneStreet

Reaction score
Just noticed that my PCV Hose is leaking where it connects to the actual valve on the valve cover. Would I need to replace the hose as well as the valve? Or can the hose still be used as long as I replace the valve? Is there a better one to go with over OEM? Or should I stick with OEM?

20201231_135740.jpg

Jcg_3v94

Reaction score
Just noticed that my PCV Hose is leaking where it connects to the actual valve on the valve cover. Would I need to replace the hose as well as the valve? Or can the hose still be used as long as I replace the valve? Is there a better one to go with over OEM? Or should I stick with OEM?

View attachment 75784

Jlt catch can?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07 Boss

Reaction score

View attachment 75784

You can't replace the actual valve unless you get a new cam cover. It is integral to the cover itself. You can cut it out if you want and just slap some breathers on there if you want. That is my preferred method in dealing with PCV. Or just get a new hose. One thing to think about is that that oil that is leaking out, once you fix the hose, that shit will be going into your intake. You might seriously at least think about a catch can, that would minimize any oil and shit making it up into your intake.

Also might consider giving that engine bay a little cleaning. Call me old fashioned and weird but I think shit just works better when it's clean. It's easier to work on and spot things. Kinda like wearing clean underwear, you never know when someone's gonna want to get under your hood. ;)

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Are you leaving drops of oil on the pavement?
Are you losing any oil between changes?
That looks to me like it has been seeping since day one. Brakekleen that shit and monitor it. And check pvc system for function.

OctaneStreet

Reaction score
check the O ring on the hose side where it connects to the nipple... the hose is cheap and comes with the o ring if you get a new ford hose....they are not that expensive

Roger that sir will do! Thank you for the tip ~

You can't replace the actual valve unless you get a new cam cover. It is integral to the cover itself. You can cut it out if you want and just slap some breathers on there if you want. That is my preferred method in dealing with PCV. Or just get a new hose. One thing to think about is that that oil that is leaking out, once you fix the hose, that shit will be going into your intake. You might seriously at least think about a catch can, that would minimize any oil and shit making it up into your intake.

Also might consider giving that engine bay a little cleaning. Call me old fashioned and weird but I think shit just works better when it's clean. It's easier to work on and spot things. Kinda like wearing clean underwear, you never know when someone's gonna want to get under your hood. ;)

Ah, had no idea you'd need a new cam cover. That sounds a bit ridiculous but oh well. I'll definitely look into catch cans a bit more though, as I thought those were only useful for boosted applications. Thank you for all the insight, and your closing comment is pretty funny hah. I do plan on super cleaning the engine bay once the weather gets a little warmer again here in Canada.

Try cleaning the PCV valve first. It might be stuck in the closed position.
After doing some research, I believe I'm experiencing symptoms that express it is stuck in the OPEN position! I'll have to do some more digging though, thank you!

Are you leaving drops of oil on the pavement?
Are you losing any oil between changes?
That looks to me like it has been seeping since day one. Brakekleen that shit and monitor it. And check pvc system for function.

This actually started about a month ago, since I actually cleaned up the engine bay quite a bit since then a few months ago. I only noticed it last week, and noticed my car having rough idle about a month ago which is why I suspect this is all very recent. Plus I've never noticed this before when looking under the hood and it's pretty obvious so I'm certain I didn't just miss it previously. No drops of oil on pavement, however I did notice my oil pressure drop ever so slightly in very recent times so I'm planning to get it fixed today.

xeninworx

Reaction score
I’m thinking in my head, if it was in the open position, the vapours would continue to go into the intake manifold and not leak. If it were closed, then the vapours would build up in the valve causing to leak out of the seals since the pressure is being built up.

OctaneStreet

Reaction score
I’m thinking in my head, if it was in the open position, the vapours would continue to go into the intake manifold and not leak. If it were closed, then the vapours would build up in the valve causing to leak out of the seals since the pressure is being built up.

Logically that would kinda make sense but everything I've read and listened to relates leaks to being stuck in the Open position! It's all interesting and new stuff to me. I cleaned it all up today and put it back together, will be monitoring it moving forward. Drove for 2 hrs today and no sign of any kind of leak and my idling was definitely improved, hoping I fixed it for good hah.

xeninworx

Reaction score
Did you shake it when you cleaned it? If you hear rattling that means it’s clean. Looks like you solved the problem. Hopefully that was the issue. Always try the simplest fixes first.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Did you shake it when you cleaned it? If you hear rattling that means it’s clean. Looks like you solved the problem. Hopefully that was the issue. Always try the simplest fixes first.

Shake what? Generally if something rattles it's broke.

OctaneStreet

Reaction score

For the 05-09 Mustangs, the actual valve is part of the valve cover, we can't remove it. So I wasn't able to shake it and hear the little ball or mechanism rattling around to ensure it was freely moving haha. I was only able to take off the PCV Hose and clean that out, which so far so good but we'll see as time goes on! Thanks man.

Shake what? Generally if something rattles it's broke.

He's talking about the actual PCV Valve, which for most vehicles can easily be removed and examined or cleaned. Typically if you remove it and shake it, you'll hear the valve mechanism moving around in there which would mean it's not stuck and is able to freely open/close meaning it's in good working order. However for our vehicles this isn't the case as the PCV Valve is actually one with our valve cover.

Joel W Bergma

Reaction score
give it the old dirty bexsy. wrap your lips on that little knub and start slow with a blow and then once u feel it working huff and puff suck and blow and make sure that shets not clogged and can blow a nice load. mmmm valve cover gases and oil all up in ur mouth lungs.

Joel W Bergma

Reaction score
post video of u testing too plz so others have multiple ways to reference learning material as newer. generations may be better suited with media formated replies

OctaneStreet

Reaction score
give it the old dirty bexsy. wrap your lips on that little knub and start slow with a blow and then once u feel it working huff and puff suck and blow and make sure that shets not clogged and can blow a nice load. mmmm valve cover gases and oil all up in ur mouth lungs.

Haha funny, I did do just that pretty much. Seems good to go, haven't seen any leaks still so hoping it holds up! Didn't want to make a video on it since I wasn't 100% sure what I was doing myself either.

07 Boss

Reaction score
He's talking about the actual PCV Valve, which for most vehicles can easily be removed and examined or cleaned. Typically if you remove it and shake it, you'll hear the valve mechanism moving around in there which would mean it's not stuck and is able to freely open/close meaning it's in good working order. However for our vehicles this isn't the case as the PCV Valve is actually one with our valve cover.

That's why I was confused to what he was talking about. I cut my shit out the valve cover anyways.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back