Cost of Paint

Miker

Reaction score
So before I bought my Roush which is Redfire Metallic it had had the left driver's front fender painted from a parking lot incident. Now that fenders clear coat is failing. The rest of the car is fine although 20 years old and there are some dents and dings that you don't notice unless your looking for them.
Is there a cheap fix for the clear coat on that fender? I hate to spend a bunch to make that fender cherry when the rest of the car is aging but acceptable.

JC SSP

Reaction score
If you did it through your insurance company and/or reputable paint shop, that might be covered by warranty. They could repaint and blend… not perfect but will pass the 20’ visual test.

Miker

Reaction score
Any idea what a shop would charge? I watched a video of a guy fixing a Hondas fender and door that was much worse. I would be happy with the results he got but I would rather pay someone who had the equipment.

JC SSP

Reaction score
I have lifetime from State Farm that’s why asked.

Miker

Reaction score
Never thought of that. However it was a struggle to get any information on the car even though it was a one owner car. The gentleman that owned it had dementia and most of the records on the car were lost in a house fire. I got very limited information from his son in law when I bought it. And I am only assuming that was the fender that was repainted because the clear on the rest of the car is still good.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Ever thought of getting the body work done and then wrapping it?

Miker

Reaction score
Could I just light sand it and rattle can some clear over it? It's a small area of the fender. Couldn't really look worse. I need to snap a pic of it.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Never been a fan of wraps. Too old I guess.

Never been a fan either but it is about 1/2 the cost of getting it painted. You could also try it yourself. Messing it up is not a permanent thing. I'm going to try my hand at wrapping parts of my Solstice soon, It will be my first time.

Miker

Reaction score
Never been a fan either but it is about 1/2 the cost of getting it painted. You could also try it yourself. Messing it up is not a permanent thing. I'm going to try my hand at wrapping parts of my Solstice soon, It will be my first time.
I build RC airplanes so I know how it works as the covering is similar I would think. Apply it and then apply heat and it adheres and shrinks. It has to be cut at the panel lines after applying. Although I am sure there are some that are better than others I cannot imagine letting someone use a razor blade around the paint of my car.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back