Crazy idea...

EagleStroker

N/A Junkie
Reaction score
Went by the parents house today and my mom has recently gotten a new Expedition. Now it's nice and all, but for some odd reason the brakes on it caught my eye. These things looked huge, and if powder coated would look really nice. I haven't had time to research what they are, but do you think this would even be a feasible upgrade?

The adapters would have to be custom for the caliper itself. Clearance shouldn't be an issue because they have small rims on them you know? I don't pretend to be an old school hot rodder but I do like to do things most people wouldn't think of. My big concern would be how comparable the thicknesses of the rotor are to each other. If it's thicker on the truck than on the Mustang, then I might not gain anything unless I can find a rotor that will work. The other one is the actual force that is put to the brake, I'm not an expert so I don't know what this is called, but if it can stop a truck that big I'd say it's pretty stout.

Any thoughts? :thumb:

Kaldar142

Reaction score
Unless the rotor size is upgraded a mere caliper upgrade will not be a worthy upgrade. If you had a larger rotor with more of a
Contact patch it would be worthwhile but IMO you would be better off doing pads/fluid/lines.

Kaldar142

Reaction score
Also something that is often overlooked is brake bias. Performing an upgrade to the front only will result in poor braking characteristics. Everything in a cars suspension and brakes must be performed with vehicle balance in mind as opposed to just bolting parts on.

EagleStroker

N/A Junkie
Reaction score
I was going to do stainless lines and better pads along with a larger rotor, I was just wondering if this would even be possible.

EagleStroker

N/A Junkie
Reaction score
When it comes to bias I know what your saying, I like to think out my mods, this is more just throwing something around in my head than anything.

Kaldar142

Reaction score
well you could turn it into a nice idea with some larger rotors upfront and a nice upgrade in the rear of some sort

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
The calipers are probably iron and huge..add larger 1pc rotors and you're talking about a lot of extra weight.

Add in the possibility (or more accurately, probability) that it won't even come close to working without tons of custom work ($$$!) and changing out your master cylinder and proportioning valves..there are far better options for your time, money and efforts.

Oh and retaining proper ABS function? There are complications with that even with a "simple" GT500 brake swap..that's probably strike three sadly.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back