cutting the front bumper

mykim72

forum member
Reaction score
has anyone does this? i took off the plastic peice and want to know how much of the bumper to cut so the plastic peice will clip back in...looking for some advice from someone whos done this

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The crash bar (the hollow metal beam) is what you want to remove. It is what I am doing in a couple weeks to the front and rear. The beam is about 70 lbs.

You can also shave about 50 lbs each door panel removing the crash beams from there but it will nill your windows and you'll need lexan. For now, I'm leaving them alone and just pulling the front and rear crash bars.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm, interesting but I will wait until my car is a track car before doing this. Safety first you know.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yep - I saw Greg do it to his car and weighed the beams. Both out is over 100 lbs. (front and rear)

Mine is going mostly for track duty startin the new PSCA season so that's why I'm doing in a couple weeks. I wouldn't do it either for an everyday street car - very dangerous...:idea:

Shopping for a 24' enclosed trailer today Paul...:thumb:

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for an enclosed trailer for weeks. Nothing yet. There are some nice 24' ones on Craigslist but are too expensive for me. I am looking to spend about $3500 for a 20' enclosed. New the nice ones are going for 6500 to 8000. And the REALLY nice ones are 12K.

mykim72

forum member
Reaction score
i just want my intercooler showing not ruin the front end in a crash, but damn that would save a lot of weight

akula52

forum member
Reaction score
weight

I don't remeber the name of the company, but someone offers a light weight replacement which saves about 30lbs I think? I thought it was a good idea, but as I recall, they got bashed for some reason?

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for an enclosed trailer for weeks. Nothing yet. There are some nice 24' ones on Craigslist but are too expensive for me. I am looking to spend about $3500 for a 20' enclosed. New the nice ones are going for 6500 to 8000. And the REALLY nice ones are 12K.

Tell me about it - you'd think in this economy there'd be tons. There are a lot for cheap but none are local I have seen. My uncle offered me a 32ft bad ass triple axle for $5000 but my range rover can't pull it and I'm not buying a new truck for it so I had to pass. He doesn't have anything smaller...lol

I will take 20' or 24' - as long as I have room for a compressor and a generator, that's all I need. We'll find something, I'm sure.:beer:

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you would have to disable the airbags if you remove the bumper?

I would think a lighter weight replacement could be a good idea for a weekend warrior, but then I would think it would have to pass alot of tests, right?

mykim72

forum member
Reaction score
mustang_gt_single_turbo

Back