Which timing chain tensioner to use?

Mojo88

Reaction score
2010 4.6 3v, 24psi boost, 625 whp; I'm doing a complete laundry list of parts (timing chains/guides, phasers, rockers, lifters, valve seals, new timing cover).

I have two brand new sets of tensioners sitting on my workbench. One is the plastic version (Ford) and the other is ratcheting cast iron (Melling).

I seem to have three options:
1) Use the stock Ford plastic,
2) Use the cast iron with ratcheting, or,
3) Use cast iron, but file off the ratcheting.

Maybe I'm over-thinking this. I've been searching and seeing a wide variety of opinions on which tensioner to use. I've searched out FordTechMakuloco on YouTube, and he recommends the stock Ford plastic tensioners for his customers... BUT ... those are mostly stock pickup trucks. My car is pushing the limits, so I'd like to know if anyone can give me another opinion on which tensioner to use, or does it even matter?

Thanks!!!!!

JC SSP

Reaction score
Can you post pics of what you are grinding down?

Sorry I foresee myself doing this in future so trying to get as much info as possible.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
There is a reason Ford no longer uses ratcheting timing chain tensioners, and it applies to your high horsepower engine. When you rev it way up and then back off the throttle it creates a lot of slack on the tensioner side while the other side is super tight. With a ratcheting tensioner it can lock in the chain super tight which then creates problems with a cold engine.

Ford used ratcheting timing chain tensioners back in the 90s and early 2000s when their Mustang only put out less than 300hp.

Mojo88

Reaction score
There is a reason Ford no longer uses ratcheting timing chain tensioners, and it applies to your high horsepower engine. When you rev it way up and then back off the throttle it creates a lot of slack on the tensioner side while the other side is super tight. With a ratcheting tensioner it can lock in the chain super tight which then creates problems with a cold engine.

Ford used ratcheting timing chain tensioners back in the 90s and early 2000s when their Mustang only put out less than 300hp.
Yeah, I don't have an engineering degree, but this was my thought too.

I'm gonna use the iron tensioners, and grind off the ratcheting tabs.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Plastic tensioners with fel-pro seals is what I am running. Ditch the thin stock seals on the plastic ones and use these:

Mojo88

Reaction score
Done! The Melling tensioners are modified and installed...........
Thanks for the help gents!
MMR-guides.jpg

Turns out my whole issue appears to have been a bad tensioner. I finally just looked at them and found this below. The guides were OK, but I installed new MMR guides anyway, just as a preventive measure.
Bad-tensioner.jpg

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back