4.6L Timing Chain Tensioners and Oil Priming

3nigma

Reaction score
Hey everyone, first post here. So I'm replacing the entire timing assembly on my 3 valve and this will be my first time doing this job. I've done quite a bit of research and now currently looking at how to go about priming the oil into the chain tensioners.

I've seen some various opinions around the net regarding this process but personally I prefer to err on the side of caution and would like to get those tensioners primed up before that crank turns at all, so I think I'll just go that route to be safe.

I saw a garden / pesticide pump sprayer method mentioned on a few forums but can't seem to find the specs on the fittings needed and where exactly to connect the hose on the engine. Could someone who's done this provide me with this info and process? Thanks!

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
I've done it. You don't need to though... Just disconnect the coils and crank the engine until you see oil pressure. Good to go.

If you want to prime the system without cranking.... You need a good thick pesticide sprayer so it can withstand some pressure. I got one at Ace Hardware. You'll have to rig up the connections. I don't have the specs, you will be tapping in where the oil pressure sender unit threads in on the oil filter housing. You've got to provide pretty good pressure so I drilled and tapped the top of the pesticide tank so I could connect and air hose and get the pressure to 30psi or so without pumping a million times.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

2526Bullitt

forum member
Reaction score
I did the same as above to build up oil pressure...I think I disconnected the fuel injectors but either should work.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
I have a 1 gal. hand pump pesticide sprayer I purchased at Home Depo. I use it to fill transmissions, differentials and to prime a new engine. You need a 1/4” NPT adapter on the end of the hose to prime the oil system through the oil pressure sending unit port.

3nigma

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Do the tensioners provide enough tension on the chains when priming with the starter (injectors / coils disconnected)?

I'll probably still go the pump route to be safe..

MrBhp

Reaction score
Why can't the flood mode method be used? Just curious.

BAD3VLV

Reaction score
I just had the motor out of my 05 replacing a broke piston and bent rod. I aslo replaced all the timing components while I had it out. I just used plenty of assembly lube, also filling the tensioners with assembly lube before I installed them. Then with the spark plugs and relay for the fuel pump out, I cranked the motor over to get oil pressure. It worked like a charm. I will say to make sure to use the cast or billet tensioners and not the cheap plastic ones that come in most kits.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
When I had the motor built by Brenspeed, and asked about first start, they were adamant that priming was unnecessary.... that everything will be lubed within the couple of seconds the motor cranks before firing under a normal start.

Waakeeen

Reaction score
I just had the motor out of my 05 replacing a broke piston and bent rod. I aslo replaced all the timing components while I had it out. I just used plenty of assembly lube, also filling the tensioners with assembly lube before I installed them. Then with the spark plugs and relay for the fuel pump out, I cranked the motor over to get oil pressure. It worked like a charm. I will say to make sure to use the cast or billet tensioners and not the cheap plastic ones that come in most kits.
Did your cluster on the dash show pressure while priming? I just got a new motor in and need to prime it before firing it up but idk if the gauge on my dash would register while cranking?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Just disconnect the crank sensor and turn it over for 20-30 seconds. you may have noticed while assembling that the tensioners are spring loaded (try assembing them without the retainer clips) so nothing to worry about. I have no idea what OCD person originally came up with the pump sprayer idea but it is totally overkill and a complete waste of time.

I just did timing chains on my 2005 F350 5.4 and it's the exact same kit. Except I couldn't get to the crank sensor plug due to other crap in the way, so I disconnected the coil leads.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
OCD people have been prelubing newly assembled engines for what, more than a century. Ford even put a valve in the oil filter to help prevent dry start. Surely Ford has no idea what they are doing. All of the stationary engines I worked on professionally had prelube systems built into their support equipment. Some even used post lube. I prelubed my new engine while it was on the stand where in could see oil rise from each lash adjuster. I thought it was cool to watch and it gave me confidence all my work was not waisted.:driver:

MrBhp

Reaction score
Turn key on. Mash go peddle to the floor. Crank engine for an hour if you want. It will not fire. When at wot, coils and injectors will not fire in a no run state with peddle to the floor. It's in the program. It's called "flood mode".

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Turn key on. Mash go peddle to the floor. Crank engine for an hour if you want. It will not fire. When at wot, coils and injectors will not fire in a no run state with peddle to the floor. It's in the program. It's called "flood mode".
I keep forgetting about that. I need to put it on a note on my toolbox so the next time (5 years from now) I will remember.

07 Boss

Reaction score

That's what I did. I cranked it for a few seconds with the pedal to the floor, and then released the pedal and drove away.

Kev555

Reaction score
Is there a recommended mileage for timing tensioner change or is it when they rattle on cold start like most ford timing chain engines?

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Is there a recommended mileage for timing tensioner change or is it when they rattle on cold start like most ford timing chain engines?

Not as far as I know but I'd say it's reasonable to change the complete timing kit (chains, guides, tensioners, phasers) not later than 150k miles, and earlier if there's a cold start rattle. Once you're in that far, you might as well complete the valvetrain refurbishment by also replacing cam followers/lash adjusters.
We should consider ourselves lucky. Most modern engines have cam belts that need to be replaced every 30-60k miles, and that's a big job on many front wheel drive cars with transversely mounted engines. In mid engined supercars like some Ferraris, it can be a complete engine out job every 30k miles costing an arm and a leg! No wonder most of them have very low mileages.

Kev555

Reaction score
Thanks Dino I will keep an eye on this. Theres 110k on mine but never seen so clean an free engine for that sort of miles on a car but maybe thats how V8,s are?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
On VCT engines, you could look at Mode 6 data in Forscan for cam timing error %. Not as much as the actual value, but to check if there is a change in reported error.

Back