Defining Modern Muscle: Power vs Sound. What life you about!?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Hello bitches, I haven't been around much but been watching the youtube on the Internets here and I see those eco boost 4cyl cars are running hard... Real hard.
BUT! I just can't get over the sound. :yaoface:
Figured this could start some interesting conversations.

I have no choice but to respect the numbers with any car, especially doing more with less but I feel and this is me personally that the SOUND is at LEAST 80% of my experience when driving a modern muscle car.
So while I dig the numbers, I would STILL buy a slower V8 especially in a Mustang, A MUSTANG!

I watch the vids and I am almost like who is that ricer in the next lane? oh shit it's the Stang.. -Le Sigh-

What do you guys think?

FYI: I am going to be paying some attention to the Stang soon, haven't been on the track AT ALL in quite a while. Miss you mofo's! :clap:

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
I was at the track several weeks ago and an ECO_Boooost was there ...

I have no idea what mods/exhaust had been done to it but it sounded HORRIBLE !!!

Worse than any riced up Honda with a fart can HORRIBLE !!!!

Wasn't all that fast either.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I like my eco, but my gt makes it sound like a lawnmower. That said, there is some excellent go fast support for eco drivers.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I do agree that the sound is a big thing. I drove some family haulers and the sound of the SRT jeep was one of the biggest selling points for me. The explorer sport had decent power with the ecoboost but the sound of it straight up sucks.

travelers

Reaction score
I'm kind of old school and the 6 and 4 cyl. engines just don't sound like they have any power. But now days we all know they do with turbos and the like make some impressive power. And for the past 5or6 years I have also worked on a SS/AH Cuda that makes 4 figure power with 2 4brls. So I'm just old school on the sound of power from V8s

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Yes, no doubt the power and numbers are there and I give the cars all the props in the world but there is just a total mismatch in sound. I don't see how I can ever get use to my brain hearing a civic coming and actually seeing a mustang. but SHOULD I!? lol Just feels WRONG! "Oh Sweet MUSTANG!" just doesn't come to mind when I hear that shit. :roflmao:

07 Boss

Reaction score
Fast is fast regardless of the power plant. And you're never going to get a 4 or even 6 cylinder to sound like a V-8. BUT just because a car is fast and makes power doesn't constitute me calling it a muscle car. Also just having a V-8 doesn't qualify it either. If you drop a 5.0 into a Miata it doesn't make it a muscle car. The proper model, engine, stance and attitude is what makes a muscle car.

fast Ed

forum member
Reaction score
Age-old debate for sure. I love the throaty V8 sound that my mildly modded 07 GT had, but when I did some easy laps around Mosport in the 17 Ecoboost demo a few weeks ago there was something neat about ripping around a big track almost silently that appealed to the old man in me. LOL

cheers
Ed

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Need the sound. I'd rather have a mild 302 in an old 240Z, minutes slower a lap... than a brand new 4 cyl Mustang.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Was just at a cruise night Sat night, some chick was there with her '16 EcoBoom Mustang that she just had tuned, has exhaust and other stuff done to it, really didn't ask cuz I don't care, it supposedly put down 315/415 numbers, great numbers for a 4-banger for sure, but when she started up the car to leave, at first I didn't realize it was her car, I thought somebody's subwoofer was shorting out, it sounded that horrible ... I moved toward the noise and realized it was coming from her car ... ugh ... no Mustang should ever sound like that

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Was just at a cruise night Sat night, some chick was there with her '16 EcoBoom Mustang that she just had tuned, has exhaust and other stuff done to it, really didn't ask cuz I don't care, it supposedly put down 315/415 numbers, great numbers for a 4-banger for sure, but when she started up the car to leave, at first I didn't realize it was her car, I thought somebody's subwoofer was shorting out, it sounded that horrible ... I moved toward the noise and realized it was coming from her car ... ugh ... no Mustang should ever sound like that

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sound or power. Hmm. It is impossible to be unimpressed with the power coming from the Ecoboost 2.3 in the Mustang. They are more powerful than even warmed over pushrod 5.0's from 20 years ago.

But it is also impossible to be unimpressed with the sound coming from the Ecoboost 2.3 in the Mustang. A bag of drowning puppies would sound better.

I have to have sound AND power or power AND sound, which ever order you want to say it.

There is only one 4 cylinder that I think sounds good. Subaru.

I was camping at a State Park this weekend and on Sunday we took the kids to the beach before heading home. I heard this god awful racket. I knew what it was but looked back at the road anyway and saw a string of buzzy Honda's driving by. Man they sound like a pile of blazing excrement.

Last edited:

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the Ecoboost Mustangs. Weirds me out when I hear one drive by. But the new M4's sound pretty good and they're turboed V6's.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

46addict

Reaction score
Was just at a cruise night Sat night, some chick was there with her '16 EcoBoom Mustang that she just had tuned, has exhaust and other stuff done to it, really didn't ask cuz I don't care, it supposedly put down 315/415 numbers, great numbers for a 4-banger for sure,

Is that 415 torque? I'm impressed.

But yes, sound is a big part of the experience. Would rather have a 12 second notchback fox than a 10 second Tesla with all the doo dads.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Even the old 2.3L Lima, which sounded like a tractor, could be made to sound pretty good with the right mufflers. The Ecoboost, unfortunately, seems to be really buzzy no matter what exhaust is on it.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
The ole Bullitt puts a smile on my face every time I crank it. That would never happen with a 4 banger.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Is that 415 torque? I'm impressed.

But yes, sound is a big part of the experience. Would rather have a 12 second notchback fox than a 10 second Tesla with all the doo dads.

Yes, the torque was 415 to the tires, which is certainly awesome for a 4-banger.
but, between stories all over the Mustang forums of modded Ecoboost Mustangs blowing up, and the farty sound they provide, no fucking way would I ever consider one

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Fast is fast regardless of the power plant. And you're never going to get a 4 or even 6 cylinder to sound like a V-8. BUT just because a car is fast and makes power doesn't constitute me calling it a muscle car. Also just having a V-8 doesn't qualify it either. If you drop a 5.0 into a Miata it doesn't make it a muscle car. The proper model, engine, stance and attitude is what makes a muscle car.

^^^ I agree 100%.

I respect the ECB Mustang and the power it can put down, and any high powered V6 or I4 powered car for that matter, but for me, it's V8 all day long, even if the ECB in the lane next to me is faster.

Dat sound, doe...

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
As big as a Lund Racing fan as I am it hurt to see them blow up an Ecoboost at the strip. The power is impressive, but that little engine can only take so much for so long. They ran it one time too many I guess. I don't like anything 4 or 6 cylinder. Just sounds like ass to me. Yeah, you can build a fast Civic or a Subaru WRX that can blow the doors off a lot of cars. So what? But to build that little engine right, it takes a ton of money and just won't last very long. And at the end of the day, fast or not...it's a Civic or a Subaru dude. I wouldn't be caught dead driving one of those things whether it had 1500HP or not. It's big gutsy, ballzy V8 American muscle for me. Just the generation I grew up in I suppose.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back