Detonation with SCT X4. 2010 GT

vxr500

forum member
Reaction score
So I uploaded the 93 tune from the x4 and I’m getting detonation rattle under heavy throttle. My only other mods are an Airaid intake and Pypes axle back. There is no option in the tune to add for the Airaid (just JLT and a few others), so the SCT tech line is saying that’s the cause and that I should get a custom tune from a vendor. Kinda sucks after I already spent close to 400 bucks. Should I go Brenspeed, VMP, or Bama? Or other?

I’m not planning on many more power mods after this. Maybe pulleys or a midpipe down the line

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
This is loading the Canned tune from SCT? First off, clearly letting in hella air with an aftermarket CAI and not compensating the fuel delivery is a problem. SO if the can tune doesn't have Airaird, for starters I would find the MAF inlet diameter (85mm, 92mm) whatever it is, and find a brand SCT DOES have in the can tune that matches. Load that. Close enough and way better than saying No CAI in the tune settings.

As for aftermakert vender tunes, lets make this simple. NO Bama, and just spend the $100 to Lito, the 3V GOD. You have a 2010, which is a 4.6 3Valve. Lito will get it running pristineeeee.

vxr500

forum member
Reaction score
This is loading the Canned tune from SCT? First off, clearly letting in hella air with an aftermarket CAI and not compensating the fuel delivery is a problem. SO if the can tune doesn't have Airaird, for starters I would find the MAF inlet diameter (85mm, 92mm) whatever it is, and find a brand SCT DOES have in the can tune that matches. Load that. Close enough and way better than saying No CAI in the tune settings.

As for aftermakert vender tunes, lets make this simple. NO Bama, and just spend the $100 to Lito, the 3V GOD. You have a 2010, which is a 4.6 3Valve. Lito will get it running pristineeeee.

You’re right, I picked stock which was probably not the greatest idea. I was hoping they would tell me which other one was close. Where do I measure the maf diameter exactly? I see where it inserts into the tube.

And who is Lito and where do I find him?

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You’re right, I picked stock which was probably not the greatest idea. I was hoping they would tell me which other one was close. Where do I measure the maf diameter exactly? I see where it inserts into the tube.

And who is Lito and where do I find him?

Measure the pipe diameter as stated above (85mm-92mm) or 3-3/8 to 3-9/16 about.

[email protected]

Hope that helps!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
That intake most likely doesn't require a tune. It probably has the factory sized MAF. Which Airaid is it, the MXP? If so it doesn't require tuning.

"NO Computer Re-Tune Required w/ Modular Venturi Tube Installed".

What kind and what octane gas is in it right now?

vxr500

forum member
Reaction score
That intake most likely doesn't require a tune. It probably has the factory sized MAF. Which Airaid is it, the MXP? If so it doesn't require tuning.

"NO Computer Re-Tune Required w/ Modular Venturi Tube Installed".

What kind and what octane gas is in it right now?

It has 93 in it now. I bought the car used with that Airaid on it already. I don’t recall seeing that modular venturi tube when taking it apart to clean the maf and tb. Maybe I have the race version that requires a tune. Which now has me wondering if a tune was already on there. But I did notice a performance gain when I uploaded the SCT 93 tune.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Most of the power is in the tune anyway. I started with a canned tune first, made a big difference. I then put on a JLTII intake. I didn't notice any real improvement over the stock one at that power level. Take it for what's it worth but my canned SCT tunes rattled as well on the 93 octane tune. I run E85 now with no detonation.

vxr500

forum member
Reaction score
So it turns out I have the mxp “race” Airaid with the 100 mm maf tube diameter and no insert. (Actually I measured 98-99, it I’m probably slightly off). It also has what I believe is either an SR or Brentech 62mm throttle body.

I guess this explains my detonation when I selected stock tb and intake. So bring these are not options in the SCT menu, I’ll be getting a custom tune soon. Meanwhile I’m back to stock.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back