Discouraged 3v owner

spyder7724

Reaction score
Had a buddy that just honed his stock 3V block and dropped in some good rods/pistons and file fit rings...did a quicky lap job on the valves and new springs, retainers etc. Stock cams no port work, stock head gaskets with new stock bolts...real budget but done as good as possible...thing made 700rwhp with a used saleen blower and beat on it for years. I don't think it ever blew up...wonder where it's at now?
I don't think he had more than $5k in everything but he did it all himself.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah theres always gotta be someone close that can do it.

I have a local machine shop in my little town, they do a lot more pushrod motors, but they have the hone blocks for modulars and had no problem when asked about it, even had 1 or 2 others in during the time I dropped mine off. Also had some decently sized diesels that the blocks made mine look tiny.

I had them bore, hone, clean, balance rotating assembly and assemble the shortblock for me, including them ordering bearings, was about 1200, + rods/pistons provided by me

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
MTR, a local mustang builder \tuner may be my salvation in terms of keeping my '06. We're even looking at the possibility of going to a Coyote motor swap.

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
A qualified maybe. Got with a guy today that may be able to get me where I want to go.
What have you got?

truckman7

forum member
Reaction score
Don’t know if this will help or not but got a 326 stroker set up for s/c
Knowing how much these cost to build
Brenspeed b326 set up for s/c or turbo
Made 576/522 at 5800 rpm at 14 psi with Novi 1200sl and meth Comes with everything u see and more
Came out of an 06 so I also have the change over plates,stage 2 clutch/flywheel

527D646F-A623-42DA-8121-BB766D9ADA73.jpeg E0341D8F-E00A-460F-9C26-253443556698.jpeg

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
Should have asked this sooner, but will the rest of the driveline support 550whp?
No drag racing, just an occasional run through the gears
I understand a more robust clutch is a given, but how about the trans, axles and rear axle?

46addict

Reaction score
Should have asked this sooner, but will the rest of the driveline support 550whp?
I would say yes because you aren't racing it. I wouldn't go too crazy with a clutch either. The ones that are "on/off" with very little slip are not as forgiving on the drivetrain and some clutch slip or wheel spin can save the trans from breaking. It's the dead hooking that breaks stuff.

truckman7

forum member
Reaction score
I k ow I’m always a day late and a dollar short. I had stock trans but 4:10 gear, Auburn Post unit and strange axels so highway sucked. Would go with 3:73 gear if had to do it again

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
No drag racing, just an occasional run through the gears
I understand a more robust clutch is a given, but how about the trans, axles and rear axle?

The TR3650 is not great, but will stand up to the occasional hit...
The axles are fine for that wrhp and the stock driveshaft should be fine. Not to say you shouldn't upgrade but they won't instantly blow up.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Liberty makes a great upgrade kit for the 3650, but the stock unit will stand up to 550whp on the street. As 4.6 stated, it's the dead hooks that rape tranny's. For the money, it's worth hunting down the 6060. Speaking of, the 5.4 GT500 would be another alternative swap you could do. It's not terribly uncommon to find a ready to go longblock with tranny for a reasonable price tag. You wouldn't have to worry about forging it since it comes forged. About the only upgrade you'd want to do is a factory TVS swap from a 5.8 GT500. Again it will revolve around your budget and what you really want to do, but it's one of the cheaper "turn-key" swaps.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back