Do I take on task of installing shorties myself???

K_Brogoitti

forum member
Reaction score
It took me 5 hrs to install BBK equal length shorties. I had to cut down quite a few studs cause those bastards were too long for certain sections of the header. This was also done on a two post at my work which is a professional shop. You can do it! It is a pain in the ass I agree with everyone.

Aandf1978

M90 SUPPORTER!!
Reaction score
Drop the K-member!! Save yourself the extra work and spend the no more than hour to drop it. Everything opens way up!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weou09

forum member
Reaction score
Drop the K-member!! Save yourself the extra work and spend the no more than hour to drop it. Everything opens way up!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree 100% for long tubes. Not sure that would be necessary for shorties though. I can drop the k-member in about 45 minutes.

Mikes06GT

forum member
Reaction score
So the local speed shop that quoted me 400 over phone got back to me via email with their new and improved quote....$430!! Ummmmmm yeah. And then I had a local guy reach out to me and say he can do it no problem! I asked if he done a s197 install before bc I know he is a fox body guy. He said no but they are all the same. I just require you to pay for my smokes while I work. Umm its my garage attached to my house. I have 3 kids. How much is this dude going to smoke that that's what he requires instead of cash?? Lol
I'm either doing myself or selling them.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
So the local speed shop that quoted me 400 over phone got back to me via email with their new and improved quote....$430!! Ummmmmm yeah. And then I had a local guy reach out to me and say he can do it no problem! I asked if he done a s197 install before bc I know he is a fox body guy. He said no but they are all the same. I just require you to pay for my smokes while I work. Umm its my garage attached to my house. I have 3 kids. How much is this dude going to smoke that that's what he requires instead of cash?? Lol
I'm either doing myself or selling them.

Prison Performance Plus…No Money? No Problem!

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
I've done the frpp shorties. Took me about 4 hours. I could of saved some time by taking the motor mounts off right away instead of dicking around trying to avoid it.

I supported the motor with a floor jack and phone book on the oil pan. It might be easier to remove the steering rack so the steering shaft can be moved out of the way. I didn't do that with them but I think it would of saved some time.

Try to reuse as many of the factory studs as you can. They hold and don't come loose. Also reuse the stock mls gaskets instead of using the ones that come with the headers.

Make sure you have a 13mm wrench.

LOL! Do people still have them? Good idea for a cushion though!

Mikes06GT

forum member
Reaction score
lol, im thinking he is going to say 2-300 since im helping and its at my house....nope just smokes. lmao.

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score
Hell at the current price of smokes you might save money having the price jacking shop do it. LOL.

It's not that bad of a job just time consuming. I spent 10 hours fucking with a set of shitty Pypes long tubes that didn't fit only to put the car back together. took another 8 to install the better made Kooks that actually fit.

Removing the motor mount plates will make life a lot easier. And I agree with everyone about hosing the mid pipe studs for a week beforehand especially since you're up north.

thunderstang

forum member
Reaction score
Shorties took my buddy and I about 9 hours, 2 cases of beer, a pack a bubba burgers and a lot of random bullshitting on a Saturday. Killed 2 birds with one stone, shorties got installed and beer got drank and I still had $400.00 in my pocket.
You'll never learn how if you don't try it, headers are a perfect project to build ones wrench turning confidence.

Mikes06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah cars not going anywhere soon now. I am doing brakes and lanyard bar this weekend. I'm worried that while car is on jack stands I'll say fuck it let's give it a go! Lol I have them for sale also so they will either sell or if I get time installed. Depends what happens first. Its just pretty funny with headers. Local guys I meet up with are telling me to just bring somewhere bc its a nightmare. Probe bc they just are afraid they may have to help! But most guys on here lean towards do it myself. So where it stands I'm doing them or they are selling.

msczesny1186

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah cars not going anywhere soon now. I am doing brakes and lanyard bar this weekend. I'm worried that while car is on jack stands I'll say fuck it let's give it a go! Lol I have them for sale also so they will either sell or if I get time installed. Depends what happens first. Its just pretty funny with headers. Local guys I meet up with are telling me to just bring somewhere bc its a nightmare. Probe bc they just are afraid they may have to help! But most guys on here lean towards do it myself. So where it stands I'm doing them or they are selling.

Leme know how the panhard bad instal went. I'm going to be doing one shortly.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
I've done a decent amount of work on my cars (headers on a GM, 2 supercharger installs, IC installs, nitrous installs, heads, cam, etc etc) and I honestly think that installing Pacesetter shorties on my '05 GT was one of the most pain in the ass jobs I've ever done. Admittedly, I'm not the best mechanic in the world, but still. LOL

Even with the motor mount removed, the passenger side just seemed like a real bitch to work with - I had trouble getting to the lower passenger side header bolts and it was even a bitch getting the motor mount bolted back on if I remember.

I ended up slicing my hand open and needed 4 stitches during the install, too. LOL
I'd say it took me a solid 6 hours of work.

I'd still do it again though. Actually, I'd skip the shorties and just do long tubes. But I wouldn't pay a shop or anyone else to do it...all the pride I have in the car is due to me doing my own work and I hate dealing with shops.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back