Dome/map light LEDs installed

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I installed my dome /map light LEDs today, got them from HERE ... saw a Youtube video that showed the whole dome lamp assembly removed from the car and I originally thought I'd have to do that, but then realized that all I need to do is remove the lenses and voila! I'd have access to the old bulbs and have room to installed the new LEDs :D

So, I started by using a small flat-head screwdriver, to remove the lenses by gently prying at each of the smaller tabs on the lenses:
2012-09-10_map-Lt_LED1.jpg

Then had great access to the bulbs.
I used the same small screwdriver to pry out the old bulbs, since my sausage fingers weren't fitting in there very well, to remove the old bulbs:

2012-09-10_map-Lt_LED2.jpg

The new LED vs the old bulb:
2012-09-10_map-Lt_LED3.jpg

The old bulbs in action:
attachment.php

2012-09-10_map-Lt_LED5.jpg

One LED and an old stock bulb:
attachment.php

The LEDs in action:
2012-09-10_map-Lt_LED7.jpg

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2012-09-10_map-Lt_LED4.jpg
    2012-09-10_map-Lt_LED4.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 253
  • 2012-09-10_map-Lt_LED6.JPG
    2012-09-10_map-Lt_LED6.JPG
    207.4 KB · Views: 253
  • 2012-09-10_map-Lt_LED8.JPG
    2012-09-10_map-Lt_LED8.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 253

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
I'm assuming no issues with the bulbs getting too hot since it's in such close proximity to the lens?

acrophobia13

eat. sleep. drive.
Reaction score
I'm assuming no issues with the bulbs getting too hot since it's in such close proximity to the lens?

I've had mine for 2+ years in the GT and had them for 3 years in the v6 before that, no issues at all.

It pays to get a good set, with the built in resistor, though. The cheaper (read: fleabay specials) bulbs will either burn out very quickly or glow when turned off.
The ones in the GT are from SDMustangAccessories, excellent quality and competitive pricing. The ones I had in the v6 were from fleabay and I burned out 2 sets in 3 years, not to mention they flickered alot and glowed when turned off.

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score

I dont see these lights getting used for anymore than a few mins at a time, so it shouldnt have time to get hot. Looks good OP, did this to mine a couple months ago. Its a small detail but makes a huge difference

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
I dont see these lights getting used for anymore than a few mins at a time, so it shouldnt have time to get hot.

In most cases I would agree...I've just had some instances on road trips where my wife will leave it on for a bit.

filament bulbs run much hotter than led bulbs, so heat wouldn't be an issue

OK, I'll be the first to say I don't know dick about LED bulbs, so forgive my ignorance ;)

07silvergtss

forum member
Reaction score
Nice, just ordered some today and my tag lights, maybe that will help with the police, I have gotten pulled over twice since I have a tinted license plate cover. they should have plenty of light to read it from a mile away. :)

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I love them.

As far as the license plate LEDs, I ordered them too but the ones sent were too long and won't fit.
I posted on their thread but no reply yet ... nothing but crickets ...

Pardue

forum member
Reaction score

As far as the license plate LEDs, I ordered them too but the ones sent were too long and won't fit.

I bet the license plate LEDs you received are for the 05-09. The map lights look great though. I have a set on order that I can't wait to receive.

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
Looks good. Are these just 194 LED bulbs? I have a set from my Audi that I am getting ready to throw in mine this weekend.

MSgt46270

Reaction score

PM was sent about the crickets, sorry about that. You'll be getting a new set sent to you very soon, like tomorrow.

Thanks for the post on the leds.

Ed

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
PM was sent about the crickets, sorry about that. You'll be getting a new set sent to you very soon, like tomorrow.

Thanks for the post on the leds.

Ed

And thank YOU Ed ... sorry about the "crickets" comment, but I was getting antsy ...

(another critter comment ... lol)

amustangrocks

forum member
Reaction score
I put blue in mine and love them! Visibility went down lol, but looks cool as hell.
i put some blue led`s in the domes a few yrs ago(ebay stuff) and in the footwells. the old blue bulbs were a darker blue almost like a blacklight blue, the newer ones i got were a lighter brighter blue. i can see alot better with the brighter ones, but ive stayed with the deep blue ones. visibility is much lower, but its feels cool like sitting in some dark nightclub. when i open my door at the gas station in the dark i get lots of uuuu`s and aaaaa`s. ive bought a few for my lic light but they wont work for some reason?

06gtmustang316

forum member
Reaction score
i put some blue led`s in the domes a few yrs ago(ebay stuff) and in the footwells. the old blue bulbs were a darker blue almost like a blacklight blue, the newer ones i got were a lighter brighter blue. i can see alot better with the brighter ones, but ive stayed with the deep blue ones. visibility is much lower, but its feels cool like sitting in some dark nightclub. when i open my door at the gas station in the dark i get lots of uuuu`s and aaaaa`s. ive bought a few for my lic light but they wont work for some reason?

What did you do for your footwells? i was thinking of getting led strips and wiring them up to the dome lights

MSgt46270

Reaction score
ive bought a few for my lic light but they wont work for some reason?

Two things that could be the issue. The first easy one to do is to remove the bulb and turn it then install it and test.

Second one is that you might need a resistor for your car. I've had one customer that needed a resistor for his car.

25 Ohm, 25 Watt LED load resistor (ea)

Let me know what happens.

Ed

Back