Door Panel Fix

Discussion in 'Keeping it Clean' started by Rick Simons, Jul 20, 2020.

1. 06 T-RED S/C GT

06 T-RED S/C GT forum member

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  2. RavenGT

RavenGT Member

It's a bogus video. You would know I'm right if you have ever attempted this job.

06 T-RED S/C GT likes this.
  3. TexasBlownV8

TexasBlownV8 Formerly TexasBlownV6

I've used the 3m vinyl adhesive to re-adhere panels, but have had the edges start to peel back off of a couple of them over the years. Since then, I've followed up re-gluing with welting along the borders. Helps hold the ends down very nicely and provides a nice accent on the doors.

welting-black-5.jpg

welting-black-2.jpg

welting-blue-1.jpg

4. tjm73

tjm73 of Omicron Persei 8 S197 Team Member

Do the '10 and newer cars do this too or did Ford fix it with the redesign?

5. 06 T-RED S/C GT

After looking over my door panel, I see exactly where your coming from now. The video posted is definitely bogus, as there appears to be no backing underneath the vinyl insert that is neither removable nor can be pulled off as the person in the video claims, but rather nothing but just foam/adhesive attached to the door panel. As mentioned in a previous post, I'll just either take a wire brush or use sand paper to remove any left over adhesive/foam on the door panel before re-gluing the vinyl insert or consider going with the Coverlay replacement option instead. Meanwhile, thanks for clarifying, as I now stand corrected.

6. 06 T-RED S/C GT

The "10 and newer cars up to 14 also had the same issues. Don't know if Ford fixed the issues on the S550 cars or not :shrug:

7. 06 T-RED S/C GT

Fixed!

8. MrBhp

MrBhp Member

Nah. Not for me anyway. Even if you pull the panel you still gotta mask it.

9. BarricadeGT

BarricadeGT forum member

Used a wire brush and it all sloughed right off.

Agreed. Prep work is a pain in the ass but so worth it. I used plastic sheeting and painters tape (switch didn’t stick that well to the door paneling) but managed not to get any of the spray on the car. It paid off.

MrBhp likes this.
  10. Rick Simons

Rick Simons Member

The Coverlay panels match perfectly not only in color but the grain (texture) as well. I couldn't be happier.
    Apparently it's not the factory adhesive that is the problem; it's the fact that the foam between the outer material and inner material degrades, and then the adhesive doesn't have anything to stick to. Mine had been glued at least twice that I could see.

11. tjm73

tjm73 of Omicron Persei 8 S197 Team Member

I can't find a close up of what these look like compared to stock. Anyone have a good close up photo?

One of the few issues I had with my '05 GT back when I still had it was the interior insert sag. I hated it. If I ever buy another S197 this is high on my list of firsts mods to do.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.