Dr House Part Deux

Foozeh

forum member
Reaction score
Make sure you get one from a same year and trans, that is the key.
Texasblownv8 is a good person to talk to on this if you need any more info on PCM's.

You will have to disable PATS with a tuner to get the vehicle to start and get a key flash to allow it to be enabled. Make sure you have both keys when you have this done.
Dealer charged me $75 for a key flash when I needed mine done.

Hopefully you won't need to go this route, but hope this helps if you do.

05yellowgt

Reaction score
Getting the wife and working might not tell us anything. The wide band being in the mid pipe is going to make it read the average AFR of both banks, which won't tell us what we need to know. He'd have to have dual wide bands, with one in each header to tell us bank tonal what is going on. It sounds like a wiring issue to me. He's seeing the average amount of vacuum for the cams he is running, though there could be a small leak still.

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
yea we checked above there for pinched wires. also checked the car for vacuum leaks, and exhaust leaks, and there were none

so when you get a new PCM you have to have a new key as well???

Alfiedagr8

forum member
Reaction score
No just need to perform pats function and program the keys again. And introduce the module.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
Are bad PCMs common with these cars? Seems a little far fetched to me...over the years, I've had friends come to me with reports of 'bad computers' diagnosed by mechanics too many times, when the fix was a wiring, short, or sensor problem.

Good luck with it man. This is why, though I may get stuck and frustrated at times, I absolutely can't deal with other people working on my cars. LOL

Alfiedagr8

forum member
Reaction score
Are bad PCMs common with these cars? Seems a little far fetched to me...over the years, I've had friends come to me with reports of 'bad computers' diagnosed by mechanics too many times, when the fix was a wiring, short, or sensor problem.

Good luck with it man. This is why, though I may get stuck and frustrated at times, I absolutely can't deal with other people working on my cars. LOL

Its not really common for a PCM to go bad but it does happens. So if it is the PCM. I would be surprised. But If it fixes it. This will be my first time seeing a PCM being replaced for not picking up o2 sensor voltage. Anything is possible as I leaned over the years working at the dealer. I seen crazy things that don't make sense.

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
So they got the o2 code to go away. Checked the wiring to and from and everything checks out fine. Now it's throwing some throttle body codes. They took that off, cleaned it and checked the electronics. Everything is good. Thinking its the PCM now. Sound about right? How can u possibly check for sure if its the PCM??

Alfiedagr8

forum member
Reaction score
So they got the o2 code to go away. Checked the wiring to and from and everything checks out fine. Now it's throwing some throttle body codes. They took that off, cleaned it and checked the electronics. Everything is good. Thinking its the PCM now. Sound about right? How can u possibly check for sure if its the PCM??

Do u have any aftermarket coils?

So what code is it throwing now? And is the o2 sensors responding ?( do they switch?)

Sometimes lessons are learned the hard (expensive way) u may not know til u try one. Sorry man. Good luck. Wish you were closer.

05yellowgt

Reaction score
I don't remember between this thread and the other thread, but I wanted to ask; has the battery and or alternator been checked on the car?

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
no they don't switch. I have a brand new battery and the laternator is reading good. The other codes are all TB related. I ordered a new PCM so well see. $400 trial and error lol

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
UPDATE:

I've had FORD check the wiring, swapped o2 sensors, and replaced the PCM. Still throwing the code. Took it to a local reputable shop and they say they think it is tune related. Its the only thing i can think of at this point as well, but I like to give my tuner the utmost credit and he is very high recommended. Shall continue workin it with him

Alfiedagr8

forum member
Reaction score
Lito is one of the best in my book. And it doesn't seam to be a tune issue since the other o2 switches. I think it's harness issue. Since u got a PCM, o2 sensors. Just do a compression check and check bank to bank make sure one bank isn't higher. Don't know if u have done that. Then what we can do to verify the circuits u can load test it or put 12v to the o2 circuit and watch the PID. It should read 1.66v. Since that's the highest a PCM can see. But I recommend to load test. Man I wish we lived closer to each other I would help u out man.

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
Lito is one of the best in my book. And it doesn't seam to be a tune issue since the other o2 switches. I think it's harness issue. Since u got a PCM, o2 sensors. Just do a compression check and check bank to bank make sure one bank isn't higher. Don't know if u have done that. Then what we can do to verify the circuits u can load test it or put 12v to the o2 circuit and watch the PID. It should read 1.66v. Since that's the highest a PCM can see. But I recommend to load test. Man I wish we lived closer to each other I would help u out man.

Maybe I should take it to ford and have them call you lol. Tell them ur a ford tech and are somewhat familiar with my situation. I sent u my datalogs right? Or was that someone else?

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
So i just realized now...the first injector on the drivers side (closest to teh front of the car)...that injector hung open once and dumped fuel into the cylinder after the car was shutdown and the pressure was relieved. We took the injector off and it closes itself so something was telling it to stay open

Alfiedagr8

forum member
Reaction score
U can lifts the injectors and rails and turn the key on. See if any one is leaking. Have them electronically plugged in.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back