Driveshaft worth doing?

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
So I've been doing some reading up on 1 piece driveshafts, but am still kind of on the fence about them. I'd love to put a powerhouse 4" in, but I'm worried about all the threads on vibration issues at speed, and the entire pinion angle venture is difficult for me to grasp. If I understand what I've read so far, the 1 piece from powerhouse is direct bolt in, no dinking around with adapter plates and crap, right? After that, the d/s should be good to what, 100-120? Around there is where I'd need adjustable upper to try and play with my pinion angle to correct vibration?

I'm a little lost on the matter. I guess what I'm asking is, do I drop it in and go? Or is it something that I'm going to need supporting mods to fine tune vibrations/misalignments or what not? Is it a worthwhile mod for a street car/weekend drag racer or something best left to those more focused on competition and need every edge? It'd be nice to not have to act out certain star trek vi: the undiscovered country scenes too.

Captain Hikaru Sulu: In range?
Helmsman Lojur: Not yet sir.
Captain Hikaru Sulu: Come on, come on.
Helmsman Lojur: She'll fly apart!
Captain Hikaru Sulu: *Fly her apart then!*

lol. Input? Experiences with powerhouse?

RDK

forum member
Reaction score
if you can find the Dynotech Engineering DOM steel one.. You might be best to get that one.. Easy to install.. Roush, Shelby, etc use it..
Sometimes you can find one for 499 or less

Ryan

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Other than ordering direct from dynotech's website, I didn't see anyone selling the steel d/s. I was asking all this because I wanted to get in on Powerhouse's group buy they have going on. $550shipped would be a nice savings on a 4" aluminum d/s. Which is why I asked for input on powerhouse's d/s and experience from people who have one installed and are running it, or aren't running it anymore and why they don't/wouldn't recommend that shaft.

bolivianpimp

Reaction score
I actually have some of the same questions than you. I wonder if its a worthwhile mod for $550, specially since im running a blower @ 475 rwhp.

Scord

forum member
Reaction score
If your your pinion angle is set correct via an Adjustable UCA then there is nothing to fear about a 1pc lightweight driveshaft.

I have one, I had issues with it until i set it at the correct angle for my car... which was -3.

Worthwhile mod IMO.

gmantheman

forum member
Reaction score
IMO it's a worth while mod. Prior to my aluminum d/s, I couldn't get into the 8.5s at the 1/8 mile track to safe my life. After installing the d/s, I run 8.3s to 8.5s no problem.

stang72

Family of Stangs
Reaction score
On the street it's not worth it.But if you run at the track and a tenth or so matters get one.Good thing is it is a easy mod to install yourself.I put udp's and driveshaft on at the same time and car seemed to rev a little quicker.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
searchr.jpg

just sayin...................

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Some are easier to install than others. Spydershafts and axle-exchanges have you replacing the pinion flange. You can do that on your own but many people frown highly on simply torquing the pinion nut back down with a torque wrench and calling it good. I ended up taking mine to a driveline shop and having them do the install because of this.

stang72

Family of Stangs
Reaction score
Some are easier to install than others. Spydershafts and axle-exchanges have you replacing the pinion flange. You can do that on your own but many people frown highly on simply torquing the pinion nut back down with a torque wrench and calling it good. I ended up taking mine to a driveline shop and having them do the install because of this.
Mine is a dynotech from brenspeed and it came with the plate so you don't have to change out the pinion flange.

cdutchess78

forum member
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with Powerhouse.I live 10 minutes away and have seen theirs in person and can say it's a solid piece and everyone I know has had no issues with them.

Redwolf

Reaction score
No issues with my Powerhouse driveshaft. Much lighter than the factory steel and no more clunk in the driveline that I had. I used blue loc-tite on the bolts and adjusted the pinion........no problems or vibration. It does rev up faster as mentioned already. Just don't forget to order a front driveshaft loop and install at the same time so that you don't have to take it back apart. (I bought the one piece safety loop)

bolivianpimp

Reaction score
Do you think the powerhouse 4" will give any rubbing problems when lowered? I have eibach pro-kit 1.5" on my stang, just dont want rubbing issues.

TrickyP

Booyah!
Reaction score
Just FYI...it does come with an adapter plate. I believe the only true bolt in D/S comes from Shaftmasters (i.e. no adapter plate required).

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just FYI...it does come with an adapter plate. I believe the only true bolt in D/S comes from Shaftmasters (i.e. no adapter plate required).

Nope, the Dynatech unit is a direct bolt in. I just installed one. Check them out at Brenspeed.

Mike

Redwolf

Reaction score
Do you think the powerhouse 4" will give any rubbing problems when lowered? I have eibach pro-kit 1.5" on my stang, just dont want rubbing issues.

My car is lowered also with the Pro-kit, and NO rubbing. The streets around here aren't butter smooth and the only problems I have had was with the bump stops after lowering and had to cut them. There is still decent clearance around the shaft, just don't expect to lower it on the Sportline series or any other brand with a lower drop than what you have or you may have issues.

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
So here is another question. At what point is the stocker unreliable? (launch rpm, power)

colorado pony

Reaction score
driveshaft

a stock driveshaft weight in at about 46 pounds. a 4 inch al driveshaft is 14 pounds.... stock driveshaft are only rated to 115 mph...... i have a 2006 v6 supercharger vehicle and saw some improvement in the al driveshaft with no problems..... just my ideals

Back