Early S197 Coyote Swap Break Down

Scott88

Reaction score
Thanks Matt for the videos. I watched them all and subscribed. I'm putting a Gen 3 from a 2018 into a 2005 base model. I'm super excited as it's completely over my head and beyond my skillset (youtube trained). I'm doing the swap with my 18 year old daughter and she is set on putting the 2018 gauge panel in the car. We have it from the donor vic along with the entire power train, harness, computer, etc. Plan A was to attempt to plug the harnesses that came with the drivetrain into the car. However, the guy at Midway Mustang that sold me the drivetrain mentioned it would be easier to use the harness that Power by the Hour uses. This doesn't make sense to me since there will be more terminations to new stuff than previous stuff in the car - right?

Any recommendations on the simplest route? Needs to be simple, because I'm not smart. I don't mind paying for the harness if it will yield a better/simpler process. However, it seems like either harness would be equally challenging.

As a side question: Anyone know if the track apps from the new drive train will still work: launch mode, track mode, traction control, etc? The 2005 base model had ABS, so it seems possible for a 2018 computer to send whatever commands it wants to all four corners.

mattjames

Reaction score
Traction control will not work with the 2005-2010 ABS systems. With your skill set you’d be better off with a PBH harness. Adding more yes but it’ll simpler connections than going my route.

BLKBULLITT

forum member
Reaction score
The more classic body style is definitely the 10-14. It has the 65-73 "hump" in the quarter panels and the tail lights are also better, especially the 13-14. 05-09 is more retro along the lines of the PT Cruiser/Chevy HHR/DEW Thunderbird. But to each his own.
Thats probably one of the shittiest comparisons ive ever heard.

Jack F

Reaction score
The TR3650 seems to be the weak link in this swap. How well is it holding up to the Coyote torque? And what clutch?

mattjames

Reaction score
Running an Exedy Mach 600. Shifts great. I actually have the TR3650 behind my coyote in my fox too. Also, Coyotes don't have much torque heh

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back