Electrical gremlin... anyone ever seen this?

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
New info... it appears that the problem only happens when my rpm's are up. I noticed it really only happens on the freeway, so tonight on the way home I made sure to keep my rpm's low as hell, and it didn't do the surge thing. It may just be coincidence, but I figured I'd add that.

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
mine did the same thing when the alt was about to shit the bed. Do your panel lights flicker when this happens with the headlights and radio on? It tested fine too. Changed it and all is good. Installed a custom 200 amp (no,. not a PA either)

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Just wanted to give an update for those that tried to help. I finally just put it in the shop. Turned out there were several things wrong, but $475 later, it's fixed. Nothing to do with the SJB. It was all related to my wiring job apparently.

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
I'll be getting something back. I'll be there when they open tomorrow. They did fix my brake light wiring but they're gonna have to finish the job.

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Will you be getting your 475 back from the shop???? lol

But if you're LOL'ing about me having to pay money for a job that's not finished... you got a fucked up sense of humor man. :wtf:

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
Fuck... Problem is still there. Checking SJB next.

Damn. What all did you do before it started to act up? Shitty deal is you have done a bunch of stuff and if something screwed up well after the fact it may be a bitch to figure out.

Electrical problems suck GLFTSO. Keep us posted

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Damn. What all did you do before it started to act up? Shitty deal is you have done a bunch of stuff and if something screwed up well after the fact it may be a bitch to figure out.

Electrical problems suck GLFTSO. Keep us posted

That's been the biggest headache is trying to connect it to something I've done. Clearly there's something. My last hope is the SJB. I hate to hope that's it, but that's where I'm at now.

fujifrench2k4

forum member
Reaction score
Hope you fix your problem. I'm having similiar problems after adding few electrical things, hids , wideband, shift light , boost gauge. Installed PA alternator still getting dimming lights and random check charging system light. Been doing it for almost 3 months , brand new battery and everything. Let me know what fixes it !! I'm going to try upgrading my big 3 , and double checking some of my hid wiring.

Slowstang305

Saleen S281
Reaction score
You sure its not the fuse box assembly? Sometimes when water gets in there its known to cause all sorts of crazy problems like the ones you are experiencing. I had a similar issue on a towncar where water came in on the passenger side and hit the fuse box.

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Hope you fix your problem. I'm having similiar problems after adding few electrical things, hids , wideband, shift light , boost gauge. Installed PA alternator still getting dimming lights and random check charging system light. Been doing it for almost 3 months , brand new battery and everything. Let me know what fixes it !! I'm going to try upgrading my big 3 , and double checking some of my hid wiring.
Yeah that's what I'm stuck with. The shop says the only thing they can come up with is the alternator is going bad. They've looked at everything else.

You sure its not the fuse box assembly? Sometimes when water gets in there its known to cause all sorts of crazy problems like the ones you are experiencing. I had a similar issue on a towncar where water came in on the passenger side and hit the fuse box.

That's the Smart Junction box and there's no sign of any damage or water.

I just have no real solution. The shop said I had a lot of parasitic drain because of the way things were wired and that drained the battery, which then overworked the alternator. They've fixed all the parasitic drain issues and redid my jacked up wiring. I have a check charging system warning randomly. I'll replace the alternator soon as I have the time and see if that fixes it.

Can anyone recommend a really good alternator? I have HID's, amps and subs, navigation system, etc...

gremlin190

forum member
Reaction score
Hey man, you ever get the P0622 fixed? I'm having the issue with my brand new reman Advance Auto special. My last one popped and was putting out 0 volts and now the new one is giving me the P0622 Check Charging System

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
I'm not getting the code anymore but still have a check charging system problem. The shop says I need a new alternator. I am putting it in an audio shop the reinstall my gauges and check all my grounds to see if its an issue I created. If that doesn't solve it, I'm pulling the alternator again and swapping it.

gremlin190

forum member
Reaction score
Dumb question, but are you driving it around? It appears that my battery is charging in my case, but I didnt want to get stuck onside of the road.

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
I had almost the same thing happen. When driving on the highway my battery gauge would spike, I would slow it down and it would go back to normal. I had the PA alternator and when I sent it back they said everything tested fine but they replaced a few parts anyways. Haven't had a problem since.

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
I had almost the same thing happen. When driving on the highway my battery gauge would spike, I would slow it down and it would go back to normal. I had the PA alternator and when I sent it back they said everything tested fine but they replaced a few parts anyways. Haven't had a problem since.

That's what mine does and I have that same alt.

Yes I still drive it around.

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
I remember somebody telling me that it will test OK because the regulator will be fine when they run the test, but once it heats up from use it becomes faulty. I would say you are probably OK as long as you keep the RPM's down. I wouldn't let do it too often, no telling what kind of surging you can get that will ruin your electronics.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back