Electrical Lighting Problems

swedensky

forum member
Reaction score
Pics to come***

So one of the reasons I swapped my front bumper to the GT500 was to have lower fogs that weren't as small as the CS lights. The Roush looked like an after thought and the 2011/12 Roush setup was too much to swap over to.

My problem is this:

The original Foglight harness for the 2014 GT had 4 wires. Two black, one yellow striped, and one green striped. The two colored lines run into the main harness in the engine bay while the two black lines start as weird bulb like wires midway to the fogs and then run to the lights.

The GT500 foglights I have only have two wires.

Others that have done the swap told me to discard the black wires (2 lbulbs" per side) and splice the GT500 wires to the colored lines left behind. Didn't work. I tried quick splices, regular splicing, t splices, etc.

Realized I blew the fuse, a 15. I replaced it, blew it again, blew a 20, blew a 25.

I've stopped trying altogether because I'm so frustrated. I was to the point of posting this thread for help since I have no idea what to do when I realized now none of the lights on my steering wheel buttons work anymore and the lights on the dash that show headlight status (off, parking lights, on, auto) also don't come on.

I'll try and get pics in the morning of all the wires, bulbs etc.

***i also "plugged" my LEDs into a 9 volt battery and they light up so it's not a LED problem***

Apex50

forum member
Reaction score
Basic advice from someone who hasn't done this project: Put it back the way it was. Replace the fuse, with the right size. Once you get everything working the way it was, then get a multimeter, unplug the original lights and figure out what those four wires do. They are either 12v or ground. I'm guessing the blacks are ground, and the other two are 12v. Also guessing you currently have 12v and ground connected directly, causing a short circuit and blowing fuses. (Don't go up in size, btw. That can cause a fire.) Hook up 12v and ground to the gt500 lights, just as you did with the battery. Should work like the 9v, but brighter. Make sure the 12v wires don't touch anything metal on the car, since that is also ground. You'll figure it out. Good luck.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do you have a '13-14? If so, your stock fogs are LEDs; that's why they have multiple wires. The GT500 fogs are standard halogens. You keep blowing fuses because you created a SHORT; the fuses are doing their job preventing your car from catching fire.

The solutions are 1) source a wiring harness from a '10-12, 2) splice the wires directly into the parking lights using a relay or 3) wire in a separate switch.

swedensky

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 14 but I bought LED gt500 bulbs (plug and play) from HID Guy that go directly into the plug for my fogs

swedensky

forum member
Reaction score
Quick bump and new info if anyone knows why this may be happening...

My foglights work! But when they're on my blinkers stop working. The only way I can fix the issue is to remove the fuse for the fogs to get the blinkers working correctly again..

???

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back