engine bay cleaning

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
sooo, not exactly mustang related but....

lets say i may or may not have a vehicle with 207k miles on it. the engine bay and undercarriage are to say the least disgusting talking 1/2" plus of grime build up. what can or can't i do to clean this engine bay.

from what i read on the interwebz, basically cover the alternator and intake with something so that water cant get to it. i will unplug and remove the batteries for obvious reasons. after that can i just take a power washer to it and go at it? i was thinking of paying someone to do it but i'm cheap as hell.

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
Yes Vince lol....But make sure to spray the engine down with an all purpose cleaner and let it sit a little. Then blast it, and call it a day or use soap and a wash mitt to further clean it.

claudermilk

Reaction score
I pretty much read the same. Also use tinfoil to wrap up any electrical connectors and cover the ECU if it's in the engine bay like the Coyote is. I've done this, but just used a light water spray not a power washer. It worked fine.

ModdedMach

Detailer of shiny things.
Reaction score
APC at the proper dilution will do pretty well, but a degreaser product usually cuts better with or without agitation. I like Zep Fast 505, its pretty safe, but use your head and dont let it dry of course.

I spray everything down with Zep, let it sit for a few minutes, spray it down again, agitate all the places i see with multiple brushes, sometimes ill use the foam cannon and soap it all down and continue to agitate and get in all the crevices. Then pressure rinse for a while, makes sure i get all the cleaner gone. After that, I use a leafblower to dry everything in the bay and blow out the pulleys and alternator. Then i start the engine and let it come up to temp, this heat will evaporate and drops you missed and also dry up the water that will probably get caught in the radiator fins. I will sometimes go ahead and wash the wheels while its running, by the time im done the bay is dry and warm, ill turn the car off and move on to the paint.

The only parts i really cover are any open air elements like intakes/filters/breathers. Your alternator wont be hurt by the water, just blow it out before you start your car, as well as any other standing water

I wash the car

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back