Essential/Favorite tools for working on your s197?

eggwich del fiero

Captain of Industry
Reaction score
Hey all, this may be a dumb question, but I'm throwing it out there anyways.

I'm enrolled in an auto tech program, and I'm just beginning to build up my tool collection. Of course, over time, I hope to have an extensive, well rounded set of tools that will allow me to do all types of work (engine, suspension, electrical, etc.) on various types of cars, but in the short term, I'd like to buy tools that are most relevant to working on my own car (09 GT).

So, when you're working on your S197, which tools do you find yourself reaching for over and over, or which tool do you find yourself praising and toasting your beer to because it's so useful?

I've got a basic Craftsman 150 pc set I've had forever, and just bought an IR 1/2" impact wrench and a voltometer lately. I get a good discount on Matco stuff through their student tech program, but I'm more concerned with hearing about specific types of tools I should get rather than brands, but hey, I'm so noob I'll take any advice I can get.

Thanks!

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What a great question. There are the basics of course like sockets, wrenches, air tools, compressor, etc but you'll find yourself picking up weird things from time to time like the little tools for helping remove interior panels. My son when through Lincoln Tech and I asked where he got a list for his basic set. He said "Google". So in that spirit I started looking:

http://www.wallawalla.cc/CMS/index.php?id=1260&deptcode=AMM

So the stuff is out there. For S197 specific tools, the only thing that's coming to mind now is the special spring compressor tool for valve springs during a cam change.

Good luck with your career.

kdesigns

forum member
Reaction score
Favorite Tool? A large cooler and plenty of ice. Refill as necessary.

ILW84U

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
img-bottle.png

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
FWIW, a good floor jack and four heavyduty/tall jackstands get used a helluva lot in my garage.

J.Cagle

forum member
Reaction score
If you are planning on keeping your tools forever and make a living with them I would buy snap-on. I personally have all craftsmen tools. I hope to switch to snap-on over the next year or so. The craftmen ratchets and screw drivers are terrible.

1andonlywhitie

The Australian...
Reaction score
Most common tool I use to get work done on my car is my wallet...

That said my old car back in Brisbane was just a socket set and one or two good screwdrivers.... Old cars are just so much simpler... :)

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
different size/weight hammers.

Snap On close ratio swivel long handle wratchet... when air is out LOL!

Wait, no... a lift ;)

Last edited:

don_w

Reaction score
If you are planning on keeping your tools forever and make a living with them I would buy snap-on. I personally have all craftsmen tools. I hope to switch to snap-on over the next year or so. The craftmen ratchets and screw drivers are terrible.
I have been using Craftsman hand tools for over 30 years... and I wouldn't use anything else. Period.

J.Cagle

forum member
Reaction score
Your ratchets must be 30 years old then. The old ratchets work awesome. The new ones slip and hang up all the time for me anyways. I may stay with everything else craftsmen tho. I have not broke anything but ratchets and screwdrivers.

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A pen...Perfect for writing out damned checks cuz I am no mechanic:beerchug2::asshat:

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
Tools

Wow! I have 95% of the first list and 50% of the second list.

The only other thing I would recommend is some iron pipes to use on hard to remove nuts or bolts. Slipping these over a ratchet or wrench gives you crazy strength!

I would say my favorite tools are my 3 ton jack stands and an electrical impact gun. It's not quite as nice as an air gun but I've used it to remove suspension parts so it does the job.

Gerardo

atomicpunk

Reaction score
A 3/8 and 1/2 drive torque wrenches, good for any vehicle. Ratchet wrenches are the shit - love'em. Get the basic tools first to build your collection then get the speciality tools to make your life easier.
+1 to everyone who said more mod $.

eggwich del fiero

Captain of Industry
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for all the responses so far, and I hope people continue to weigh in with their opinions, I really do appreciate it. :beerdrink:

I am still buying all the basics, so I've got a long ways to go before really "needing" anything too specific. But, if someone mentioned something along the lines of certain socket sizes or anything that they NEVER seem to use on their S197, I would put off buying that. (And conversely, I would speed up purchase of those parts used all the time.)

I am curious about Snap On. I think I will buy a Snap On ratchet via ebay sooner or later so I can test one out against my Craftsman stuff to see how much difference there is. I'm only taking 8 credits (night classes) so I don't qualify for the Snap On discount for voc tech students, which will keep me away from the brand, but I still want to experience what all the hype is about for myself.

I DO have a good discount on Matco stuff, and just purchased some stuff from them. Basic discount is around 50%, and by buying just the monthly promotional specials I get a bit more than that.

I just ordered from Matco a 6 pc set of 1/2' universal impact sockets via the monthly specials (10-15mm, I know I will need larger sizes (19mm) hope they go on sale next month), a lighted inspection mirror, the cube brake caliper tool thing, and a 1/4x8 tearhead ratchet. I bought the ratchet so I can compare it to my craftsman version and get some idea of how much difference there is in usability (I know durability is an issue too but it will take longer to measure that, obviously.)

I DREAM of owning a garage with a lift someday. I throw up in my mouth a little bit every time I see how much a quality tool chest costs (as much or more as a lift!)

This whole "buying tools for my future career" thing is totally killing my tire budget!

AlloyGT

Lurker
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Lots of swivel joints and extensions! And I do love the ratcheting gear wrenches I recently picked up. But my favorite tool has got to be my aluminum racing jack, since the little woman won't let me eliminate the guest room that's above the garage. No lift for me :(

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have been using Craftsman hand tools for over 30 years... and I wouldn't use anything else. Period.

That's all most people need, I bought all snap on since I was working in a shop and it was convenient. Now that I am working out of a mechanic's truck, it's a pain in the ass to buy or get shit warrantied since i don't have a dealer and can't make it to where one stops.

C-Liz-Go

Resident Realtor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wet wipes, for wiping off the steering wheel after grimey-handed techs have manhandled it...

don_w

Reaction score
Your ratchets must be 30 years old then. The old ratchets work awesome. The new ones slip and hang up all the time for me anyways. I may stay with everything else craftsmen tho. I have not broke anything but ratchets and screwdrivers.
Ummm... I used to have 30+ year-old rachets. But not after the house fire. In fact, pretty much everything we own is no more than 2 years old.

That's all most people need, I bought all snap on since I was working in a shop and it was convenient. Now that I am working out of a mechanic's truck, it's a pain in the ass to buy or get shit warrantied since i don't have a dealer and can't make it to where one stops.
I like being able to walk into Sears and grab a new one off the shelf and walk out if I need to. No questions asked. Of course, its been a few years since I needed to.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back