Finding previous owner

mustangdave

Reaction score
I looked at a GT500 today at a dealer and was wondering if there is any way to find and contact previous owner. Dealer wouldn't or couldn't help.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
You can take the VIN number to your local DMV and they can tell you who the latest owner was. The dealer has that info on the title also. I'd tell the dealer to provide the info or they could shove the car up their ass.

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
In some states the dealer can NOT give owner info unless the previous owner signs a release. Most owners will not sign it.

DareDevil

forum member
Reaction score
You can take the VIN number to your local DMV and they can tell you who the latest owner was. The dealer has that info on the title also. I'd tell the dealer to provide the info or they could shove the car up their ass.

Lmao :roflmao: I agree. But then again I sorta understand why they wouldn't provide it,

mustangdave

Reaction score
Thx., that's kinda what I did:kma:; told them no sale unless I could talk to previous owner to learn of possible problems,mods,etc.. It hurt to walk away from that car, but we have to raise these dealers right.

gil_t2

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure when you buy a car at auction you still get the title with the previous owners name and address on it. :clap:

No, the car is titled to the auction company, If a car go,s to auction it would be a Repo, Salvage, lease turn-in, or from a dealer that took it in trade and did not want to retail it, so they sell it to a wholesaler. In any case it would have a new title.

MVSicari

forum member
Reaction score
I'm sure you have already have but if not check all documentation that came with the car. In my last car the owners name, address, and phone number was in the service records section and written on the back of the user manual cover.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
No, the car is titled to the auction company, If a car go,s to auction it would be a Repo, Salvage, lease turn-in, or from a dealer that took it in trade and did not want to retail it, so they sell it to a wholesaler. In any case it would have a new title.

That is not true. The title retains the name of the last actual owner. Neither the auction nor the dealer have their name on the face of the title. The dealer may have the title signed over to them, but the private owner's name will still be on the front unless there was a problem with the title, in that case the dealer will get a new title made in their name.

Big Stig

forum member
Reaction score
I'm sure the previous owner will be very forthcoming....:doggy:

gil_t2

Reaction score
That is not true. The title retains the name of the last actual owner. Neither the auction nor the dealer have their name on the face of the title. The dealer may have the title signed over to them, but the private owner's name will still be on the front unless there was a problem with the title, in that case the dealer will get a new title made in their name.

I don't know the laws, or how they do things in AZ, but i work at a dealership and have been buying cars at auction for 25 years, and never received a title with owners name on it. We get a Certificate of Origin with them. Most of the Cars that we take in trade have loans on them, and when we pay them off, the new titles come with our dealership as owner. In VA when you have a loan on a car the owner does not even get a copy of the title untill it is paid off. The best way to find owners name is service records, or things left in the owners manual. Also in VA we can not disclose the previous owners name with out them sighing a release.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know the laws, or how they do things in AZ, but i work at a dealership and have been buying cars at auction for 25 years, and never received a title with owners name on it. We get a Certificate of Origin with them. Most of the Cars that we take in trade have loans on them, and when we pay them off, the new titles come with our dealership as owner. In VA when you have a loan on a car the owner does not even get a copy of the title untill it is paid off. The best way to find owners name is service records, or things left in the owners manual. Also in VA we can not disclose the previous owners name with out them sighing a release.

Maybe that is just your dealership that has new titles made in your name. Every single title that comes through and leaves our dealership still has the previous owners name on the front. Even if it has gone through 10 dealers before we get a hold of it, it still has the last private owners name, not the dealers.

gil_t2

Reaction score
Well that just shows you the difference in privacy laws between the states.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back