Finding "the right" electrical tape

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
I'm sure this has crossed a few people's minds, but what is the exact tape that Ford uses in their cars? I've tried everything from 3M, to roll after roll of every other brand... but none seem to stay on as long as the stuff that came on the wiring harness. Not to mention, that stuff doesn't get goopy and nasty after a few engine bay heat cycles.

With the miles of electrical tape I've gone through over my years working on cars, you'd have thought I would've looked this up sooner...

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I hate electrical tape. That said, on my Bullitt we used 3M and lots of wire loom to cover it up as much as possible. Head to Harbor Freight and buy a couple rolls in different sizes. It helps insulate the wiring from heat as well so the tape underneath won't get goopy quite so fast.

Tiddies

life in the slow lane
Reaction score
I've been trying to find the same thing. I used this tape that stuck to itself but didn't have glue. Cannot remember for the life of me what it was called.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
^ Thanks! I already saved it to my wish list, will buy a couple rolls on my next order. :thumb:

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

skwerl: You and me both. It's always such a mess to remove, and I always seem to find it on the bottom of my shoes a week later.

rcm90: That stuff looks great, but not exactly what I'm thinking of. How much heat can it take? Like turbo piping hot? I've been using that shitty silver stuff that always seems to come off. I have to wrap each end with a wire to keep it on.

Tiddies: Yes. I think that's exactly what Ford uses. The shit looks just like electrical tape, but seems to stick to itself. You'll never be able to get it to stick if you take it apart, but it never seems to go anywhere until messed with.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Thickness, that's all. Same electrical rating and temp rating.
Cool. I guess I'll grab some. Though I know I've bought rolls of 3M before. It's been a while, though. I don't remember it being any different than the cheap stuff.

I'd still love to find the stuff Ford uses.

**EDIT**
I think I found it. Especially after reading the reviews:

NSI Industries EWWH 5060 Wire Harness Easy-Wrap PVC Tape, 3/4" Width, 60' Length, 0.005" Thick, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CTUW99Y/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_vM2.vbM5A0X4E

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
3M Super 33. I use the stuff by the box at work.

33+88 tape is an industry standard for telco's and cell sites, and all other outside plant stuff..including radio tower's, cable co's etc. As noted the only difference is thickness. ( thicker stuff has less ft per roll). Dunno how much heat it will take. Local home depot sells both 33 + 88 tape...comes in round tubs. Also sold at any electrical wholesaler.

The other stuff we use is like butyl rubber tape, also comes in rolls, no sticky on either side of it, also available at home depot and electrical wholesaler's. The rubber tape is used 1st, (it sticks to itself) THEN the 33 / 88 tape on top of it. Then u end up with a water proof connection.

If taping stuff outdoors, (that's vertical), you can go up + down as many times as you want, as long as the last layer starts at the bottom, and goes up. Then the last layer overlaps like roof shingles.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Super 88 has always worked for me, leaves a bit of residue sometimes coming off but who cares. At least it doesn't rot, dry out, and chip off like the factory stuff will. YMMV - remember my car sees 100F down to -40.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Good inputs. I ordered the 33, and also the wire harness wrap I posted a link to. I'll be testing both. Now I just need to get my car running right. :)

onehotpny

forum member
Reaction score
You can also go to an electrical supply house and get the tape electricians use. There is a difference in electrical tape, never go cheap on it.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
I use "cold seal tape". Standard Motor Products HP3740 is one but there are many other brands. It sticks to itself and not what you're wrapping. I use it all the time on wiring harnesses and it's awesome stuff. It's as close to stock as I can find. Never ever will it get all gooey and nasty.

Towelie

forum member
Reaction score
I use "cold seal tape". Standard Motor Products HP3740 is one but there are many other brands. It sticks to itself and not what you're wrapping. I use it all the time on wiring harnesses and it's awesome stuff. It's as close to stock as I can find. Never ever will it get all gooey and nasty.

I think this is the stuff we call F4 tape at work. It's like a silicon that welds to itself if that makes sense. We use it to insulate chafing wires in aircraft landing gear so I think it's good for automotive use

travelers

Reaction score
I think this is the stuff we call F4 tape at work. It's like a silicon that welds to itself if that makes sense. We use it to insulate chafing wires in aircraft landing gear so I think it's good for automotive use

Yep that's also some good stuff. You do know why it's called F4 tape? Well it's because we used it extensively in the engine bays and through the MD F-4 fighter...

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score

Yep, sounds like the same stuff. I will never use regular "electrical tape" again!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back