First trip to the track with the 2014

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Mike recommended an off road H like he runs. He basically guaranteed me at least 2 tenths in similar air, and he said 3 tenths or maybe 4 tenths is totally possible. I wouldn't be happy with just 1 tenth. Pretty sure he picked up like 4 tenths when he ditched his cats and retuned.

The factory cats are not terribly restrictive as long as the car is running cool. Make sure each run has a proper cool down beforehand and the factory cats & mid pipes won't slow you down much. However, if you hot lap at the track, the cats heat up too much and the tunes will go rich to protect them, which hurts ET's. By going to off road H or X pipes, you don't have to build in cat protection, thus keeping the tune leaner and meaner. Therefor, a car that's hot lapped regularly will show much better improvements with an off road mid pipe.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
You can add my car to the list that reacts "differently" than yours. When I had the stock converter, my '14 GT auto ran its best ET's (and 60's) by loading the suspension against the brakes with revs over 1500 rpm's. Now with a big Circle-D converter, I still find my best runs are those holding about 2000 rpm's against the brakes.

Converter builders have told me that leaving off idle and mashing the pedal to maximize the STR (static torque ratio) is their recommendation for quicker ET's, but trying that only slows down my 60's and ET's. Same was true in my '07 GT AT that was Vortech supercharged and had a big converter. I've made dozens and dozens of passes in both cars working on the better method for my cars. As always, "your mileage may vary." I encourage everybody to find out what their own car likes best instead of just accepting what others think.

With an aftermarket converter you pretty much always want to leave on the converter, however high that may be usually...stock converters, either way can work. On my car I gained nothing the last time I tried to leave at 1000 and 1500. It ran as good, or better leaving at idle. Maybe I will try it one more time...

Last edited:

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
The factory cats are not terribly restrictive as long as the car is running cool. Make sure each run has a proper cool down beforehand and the factory cats & mid pipes won't slow you down much. However, if you hot lap at the track, the cats heat up too much and the tunes will go rich to protect them, which hurts ET's. By going to off road H or X pipes, you don't have to build in cat protection, thus keeping the tune leaner and meaner. Therefor, a car that's hot lapped regularly will show much better improvements with an off road mid pipe.

Well, I have hot lapped my car and lost no ET. Even if you let the car sit and cool, you will still gain from off roads pipes. How much seems to vary. Dynos usually show about 15 rwhp...

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Well, I have hot lapped my car and lost no ET. Even if you let the car sit and cool, you will still gain from off roads pipes. How much seems to vary. Dynos usually show about 15 rwhp...

Agreed, the off road mid pipes are worth some power. It's all a matter of how much. Leaving the cats in place does restrict how aggressively a tuner can dial up performance, though. Or, if they choose to tune aggressively on cars with cats in place, the risk is melting cats (I've personally done this on my '07 GT).

I'm near a major metropolitan area and we are emission tested regularly, so off road exhaust won't work for me. Sure would love to go that route, but I'll have to settle for 100% factory stock manifolds, cats, and mid pipe.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Cant wait to get mine on hopefully this weekend. The over axle pipes and gt500 mufflers are already on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

pibirdman

forum member
Reaction score
Mike sent me a revised tune after reviewing the datalog, so I will load that tonight.

Plans for the car, since it is my wife's, everything i do to it will take fun money from my 07. Lol. Would like to get her some 28" drag radials, maybe a convertor, not sure what else yet. She doesn't want it too loud, so an O/R is out. We will see. I would love to supercharge it and runs some 10s. Right now just looking to get what I can out of the power we have. It dynoed 404, so I know it should better than 12.7-8s.

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
X-pipe didn't change the sound. Just keep factory mufflers. Same situation here, GT is the wife's car so nothing loud or anything that makes it ride rough.

I did
CAI, Mike R tune, 3.31 gears, eaton tru-trac, off road X, and DSS aluminum drive shaft. Should be good for a solid 11.8-11.9 car as it sits.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
X-pipe didn't change the sound. Just keep factory mufflers. Same situation here, GT is the wife's car so nothing loud or anything that makes it ride rough.

I did
CAI, Mike R tune, 3.31 gears, eaton tru-trac, off road X, and DSS aluminum drive shaft. Should be good for a solid 11.8-11.9 car as it sits.

Wait, you did an off road X and it was no louder with the stock mufflers? My buddies ORX with GT500's was way louder then when he had cats. Are the stock mufflers THAT quiet?

Last edited:

fiveoh

forum member
Reaction score
Wait, you did an off road X and it was no louder with the stock mufflers? My buddies ORX with GT500's was way louder then when he had cats. Are the stock mufflers THAT quiet?

I had my offroad x with the stock mufflers for a while. It barely got any louder(except at WOT). Sounded like garbage though, IMO.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Lethal has a vid posted on youtube with offroad x and h plus stock mufflers. To me it sounded ok. Gt500 mufflers are > IMO

pibirdman

forum member
Reaction score
Ran the car with the revised tune and can definitely tell a difference Will datalog again and see if Mike can get any more out of it. I didnt think about the aluminum driveshaft. have to add that to the wishlist.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Lethal has a vid posted on youtube with offroad x and h plus stock mufflers. To me it sounded ok. Gt500 mufflers are > IMO

Agreed, GT500's sound great. I tried three axle-backs, and liked the GT500's with resonator deletes the best. It should sound pretty mean once I get my off road H pipe on...

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Ran the car with the revised tune and can definitely tell a difference Will datalog again and see if Mike can get any more out of it.
Well if you can feel a difference that is good! Did he say what he noticed was a miss?

pibirdman

forum member
Reaction score
He said the first tune he sent was very conservative, so he added more timing and fuel. After I datalog again, he said he might be able to do a little more.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Agreed, GT500's sound great. I tried three axle-backs, and liked the GT500's with resonator deletes the best. It should sound pretty mean once I get my off road H pipe on...

Our exhausts will be almost identical. I have lethal over axle pipes vs resonator deletes. That will be the only difference.

The rolled tips on the stock mufflers are nice I wish the gt500 axle backs had them.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Our exhausts will be almost identical. I have lethal over axle pipes vs resonator deletes. That will be the only difference.

The rolled tips on the stock mufflers are nice I wish the gt500 axle backs had them.

You get your H pipe on yet? How you like the sound? Very loud?

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
H pipe goes on saturday. And cai plus base tune.

It sounds good right now just not loud enough. Well see what the midpipe does for the volume.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
H pipe goes on saturday. And cai plus base tune.

It sounds good right now just not loud enough. Well see what the midpipe does for the volume.

Post back after, mine should hopefully go on next weekend.

foxxxtman

forum member
Reaction score
I'll be slapping a lethal performance H pipe on here in just a few weeks along with a Mike Rousch tune, I like the current tone of the car but want it to be louder as well, excited to see what it does. In my last car the mid pipe probably made the biggest difference but I also had pypes violators on it so there wasn't much being held back lol.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
I'll be slapping a lethal performance H pipe on here in just a few weeks along with a Mike Rousch tune, I like the current tone of the car but want it to be louder as well, excited to see what it does. In my last car the mid pipe probably made the biggest difference but I also had pypes violators on it so there wasn't much being held back lol.

It won't sound so hot with stock mufflers. Get some GT500's!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back