Fitting front rotors and calipers on the rears.. possible?

G.T

Reaction score
i was thinking, since i have the GT500 brembo brakes for the front, and the GT front stock rotors and calipers sitting around.. perhaps i could upgrade the rear using the front stockers.

it certainly sounds like a good idea.. larger rotors and 2 pistons instead of 1 :)

has anyone thought of this or done it?

Kevin@PMP

Reaction score
Anything is possible with enough time and fabrication, however you will lose your parking brake with front calipers mounted on the rear. The parking brake works by turning the piston out a small amount to put pressure against the pads and rotors. The pistons in front calipers push out they do not turn.

Some rear disc brake setups use small drum type brakes inside the hat of the rear rotor for parking brakes and use a conventional style caliper. But trying to fab this type of setup would be very difficult, time consuming and expensive.

The better option IMO would be keeping your stock calipers and making a bracket to relocate them so that you can use the front rotors. This is basically the idea of the Eradispeed rotors.

Last edited:

Rangersfan

forum member
Reaction score
I know of a place that has the brackets to mount a larger rear rotor.

Another thing to keep in mind about changing rear calipers, would be the ABS system getting thrown out of whack.

Kevin@PMP

Reaction score
I know of a place that has the brackets to mount a larger rear rotor.
Nothing like free advertising for your employer all the time on numerous boards...

Another thing to keep in mind about changing rear calipers, would be the ABS system getting thrown out of whack.
Why would changing the calipers throw the ABS system out of whack? For traction control it is going to pulse the calipers at a rapid rate until wheel speed matches front to rear.

For brake lockup it is going to do the same thing if the ABS system senses wheel lockup it is going to pulse the brakes to keep the wheels from locking up. Heck if changing the calipers would mess with the ABS then so would increasing rotor size because you are effectively giving the braking system more stopping power or even changing to a more agressive pad would.

G.T

Reaction score
what difference would it be to have this done rather than installing any of the commercially available rear brake upgrade kits?
if this would screw with the ABS, then i'd suppose any other upgrade would too

Kevin@PMP

Reaction score
what difference would it be to have this done rather than installing any of the commercially available rear brake upgrade kits?
if this would screw with the ABS, then i'd suppose any other upgrade would too
It won't screw with your ABS, if it did then the empolyer of our free advertiser above wouldn't be selling the kits to do it. ABS looks at wheel speed to make sure the wheels don't lock up, if they do it pulses them. If increasing stopping power screwed with the ABS then every brake upgrade out there would cause problems.

johnrigby

Reaction score
Possible answer to rear brake upgrade

If memory serves me correctly , doesn't the 2007 Shelby GT500 have a dual piston rear calipers. If this true what ford parts do they use to do this.

Rangersfan

forum member
Reaction score
It won't screw with your ABS, if it did then the empolyer of our free advertiser above wouldn't be selling the kits to do it. ABS looks at wheel speed to make sure the wheels don't lock up, if they do it pulses them. If increasing stopping power screwed with the ABS then every brake upgrade out there would cause problems.

First off, I'm not selling anything, I merely mentioned that I know where he could get a bracket. I could care less if someone buys from us or one of our distributors. I haven't ever, and will not post anything that's an advertisment. In fact, I have actually refered people over the phone to Spydershaft when they find ours too expensive, so don't worry about me trying to steal sales from you. I'm here more because I'm an enthusiast, and I want to make sure I can correct wrong information being put out on the forum. For example, your posts above.

As for the ABS getting screwed up by changing calipers, it can happen on the newer cars. The ABS system measures more than just wheel speed. It is also affected by volume and pressure. Changing to a different caliper with a incorrectly sized piston will affect volume and pressure and cause the ABS system to activate prematurely or not soon enough.

ClassJ

Powershifter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Too lazy to yank the shop manual out now. But are the front and rear rotor thickness the same?? What about the rotor offset?

I would not mind seeing my old front rotors out back now that I have the Brembos myself, but I have a feeling this is just not possible.

I looked into a non-vented Baer rotor and bracket kit for the back. But given how damn well the car stops with the Gt500 brakes up front and the different pads in the back, I can't justify the cash.

06roush

forum member
Reaction score
G.T if you dont mind me asking, how much did the gt500 brake set up cost you.. my friend did the bullit swap on his 03 gt a few months back and it got me thinkin about if the gt500 brakes would work....

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
I think you guys might be onto something with swapping the fronts to the back. Worth looking into.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
If you are going to go through all that work, Brembo offers a direct bolt-on replacement for the front brakes. Use that kit instead...

The only thing I can think of that may cause a problem would be if you use 15" wheels to race. You most likely wont be able to pull it off. You'll be pushing it with 17" wheels.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back